AoS Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradley-

Grandmaster
I hate to say it but I've caught myself looking for another place to play UO recently.... Is it because UOF is bad? Definitely not! UOF is, by far, the best server I've ever played on. But, I'm looking for a change of pace.. Something different. I've pretty much burned myself out of this era of UO for now.

I'm proposing that @Shane and co. open up a new server with a different ruleset (AoS & ML). Now, before you begin the flaming and endless rants of how bad this suggestion is and how bad of a player I am, just take a deep breath and relax for a minute. Then continue reading :)

I suggest keeping the same login info for this new server so that it would look like OSI did when logging in but instead of different servers with the same ruleset, it would have Ultima Forever - UO:R / T2A and Ultima Forever - AoS / ML.
Example:
2PVoBvu.jpg

The idea behind this is to bring everyone who plays UO here, to the UOForever community. Will the current UOF server lose a few peoples? Maybe, but not necessarily.. Overall, I believe it will bring in way more than we'd lose. This also gives people an opportunity to try something new. I know many people who have never played in the AoS+ ruleset but they want to! They want to try it out and see how it is. With this system, UOF wouldn't lose players overall because they wouldn't have to go to server X or server Y to experience something new. This system also helps prevent players from burning themselves out. Everyone burns out at some point and they stop playing for a while... With this system, if someone burns out of 1 era, they can just go play the other. It's a different pace, different skills and abilities, different everything BUT, still UO. Still UOForever.

If Shane and co. can create something like this and start up an AoS/ML era server that is just half as good as UOF currently, then I'm convinced it'll be the best out there. Thats because we're already the best out there (for our era).

Also, this shouldn't take away from the current developments of the server we currently have. Hire new people to code the new ruleset server. Preferably, people who know the general mechanics of the ruleset. This way, Shane can still oversee what goes on and is still in charge. This way, both servers can continually be in development and continue to pump out awesome new content for players.

Lets make the UOForever community bigger. Shane, @Adam , and the other staff have created the best server UO has to offer. We should expand on this and bring in more players who prefer a different ruleset than we currently have. Who knows... Maybe the players a new server attracts may want to test out the UO:R/T2A ruleset. Either way, the players stay here in the UOF community instead of playing in other places.

K A Z

Grandmaster
I'd love to see an UOF AOS server ! I always wanted to try AOS.. the good thing about AOS also is that it has its very own playerbase - most people that play UOR and T2A dont play AOS servers and vice versa.

Streets

Grandmaster
The only problem is you are spreading players out even more. The rule set is not much different the only thing that changes is the shape the pixels form.

Also this is why we have events and multiple aspects to play the game, if your a tammer and burned out try a crafter. Of that's not your thing try out the next zombie event or factions.

Or just take a break from uo all together? Everything in moderation right? The possible problem is going from uo to uo is your not really going to have a different experience.

Best of luck what ever you do just trying to save you some time, I think alot of us have been there and done that and have advice for each other on this?

bradley-

Grandmaster
The only problem is you are spreading players out even more. The rule set is not much different the only thing that changes is the shape the pixels form.

Also this is why we have events and multiple aspects to play the game, if your a tammer and burned out try a crafter. Of that's not your thing try out the next zombie event or factions.

Or just take a break from uo all together? Everything in moderation right? The possible problem is going from uo to uo is your not really going to have a different experience.

Best of luck what ever you do just trying to save you some time, I think alot of us have been there and done that and have advice for each other on this?

The ruleset we have now is completely different than AoS/ML. Literally, completely different... And as @K A Z said, people who play UOR/T2A tend to stay away from AoS/ML and vice versa. The idea is to bring in the AoS/ML players into the UOForever community. It's also good business by bringing in more players. Most people have this weird idea that this will cut the population in half which just isn't true.

Duck Face

Grandmaster

AOS really is completely different. And if you look at the population of the AOS servers out there, there is usually 400+ online. It might be a good idea to get these players to join the UOF community. The gamestyles are so different that I doubt someone would completely leave the UOR era. It is nice to have a change of pace sometimes and having that option without having to look for other servers would probably help keep people here. Also, I think Shane and Adam could do a much better job at developing an AOS server than the current options out there.

Streets

Grandmaster
I played though ml it's not as cracked up and different make it seem. But to each his own I guess.

Either way we could always incorporate some of that to the current server as no changes at all and it will get boring here

drinn

Grandmaster
Honestly saying making a new server under UOF name with a new ruleset will only split players here. Although, when @Duck Face said it at IRC it will get those, who play with such rulesets to play here as well. Then again it will be complicated to decide, which ruleset you would like to play. One, or both then making all the characters there matching the correct ruleset.

When the world-wide Counter-Strike scene got separated by the CS 1.6 and CS: Source it splitted players with kinda like different ruleset and graphics. For the scene itself it was bad as different tournaments, clans, organizations and even communities were created. Prizes and focus by the staff got split. For UOF that would mean adding more people to staff. When CS scene got back together with CS:GO everything went great again. No more different tournaments, clans etc. Community got bigger.

If you have ever played World of Warcraft, it has had different servers for a long time for different "rulesets". If you meet a friend, who plays at some server like let's say PvE only and u like PvP, its gonna be horrible and make not to play with this friend, or just making a new character for PvE shit.

This idea would just split the scene, which is why I don't agree with that.

EDIT: I would suggest uniting with some of those large shards with different rulesets under the same brand like UOF. Then there would be no problem. But creating something from the blank will be difficult. If you want to grow... Like in real life companies get to fusion, if they see potential growth in similar business.

Last edited by a moderator:

bradley-

Grandmaster
When the world-wide Counter-Strike scene got separated by the CS 1.6 and CS: Source it splitted players with kinda like different ruleset and graphics. For the scene itself it was bad as different tournaments, clans, organizations and even communities were created. Prizes and focus by the staff got split. For UOF that would mean adding more people to staff. When CS scene got back together with CS:GO everything went great again. No more different tournaments, clans etc. Community got bigger.

Not to be rude or anything but using this logic, we should all go play the real, subscription based, UO that is now owned by Broadsword Games (I think). Then we'd all truly be back in one place, in one community. I want that one, large community to be here on UOForever. But we cannot pull everybody unless accommodations are made. We are only able to attract people who want to play the UO:R/T2A ruleset. As @Duck Face said, there are several AoS/ML era server with hundreds of players on each of them. If Shane and Adam can put together a server as good as the one we have now, we can pull those players and make our UOF community larger.

Young Star

Grandmaster
I don't think it would be split any more then it is now with people picking UO:R/T2A server and AoS. The only difference here would be that there would be both types under one umbrella of management. Yes the downside to this would be that the staff would have 2 servers to support and they would need to grow. Not sure how well finances are going for this server now but if a new AoS server has enough players and donations to support it's own dedicated staff it can be done. It would just take some growing pains as the population accumulates.

drinn

Grandmaster
Not to be rude or anything but using this logic, we should all go play the real, subscription based, UO that is now owned by Broadsword Games (I think). Then we'd all truly be back in one place, in one community. I want that one, large community to be here on UOForever. But we cannot pull everybody unless accommodations are made. We are only able to attract people who want to play the UO:R/T2A ruleset. As @Duck Face said, there are several AoS/ML era server with hundreds of players on each of them. If Shane and Adam can put together a server as good as the one we have now, we can pull those players and make our UOF community larger.

I tested OSI Europa actually some time ago, but it was really dead these days, which was surprising. About 20 ppl hanged at Luna and no-one at Brit bank. They have different servers under the same brand, which is UO, or OSI. No idea about the traffic at other servers, but probably same. Over 10 years ago Europa OSI was very popular at Brit bank as players got into same server. They knew a place where to be. Different servers only splitted players, altho 10 years ago there were different servers as well.

Subscriptions have no place at this topic to be honest.

I want UOF to grow bigger as well, but we should think more how we could get old players back to playing this game? This game was born in 1997, fucking 18 years ago. I was 11, when I began playing this awesome game.

So, today I am 27 and people does not have time to play these games anymore that seriously we used to. We should think ways to get those back playing like getting leveling up faster. Which is what Blizzard does for WoW. Also they are giving lvl 90 characters for free with a boost. People just want to get faster to the point, when the actual playing begins.

At this point, if UOF wants to grow, unite with some other shard, or buy their business in order to make UO scene larger.

Last edited by a moderator:

Streets

Grandmaster
Yes we could all go back and play on official server but we don't ... why? Because they ruined the game. We don't need to follow that path. I am not the owner here so my voice is small but why not focus all of the power the devs have on 1 target? Lets get what we have now steady befor looking g beyond?

Streets

Grandmaster
I looked at atlantic literally 3 months ago. One of of not the most populated sever at one time. Loged into brit walked to the bank waltzed around town I didn't see 1 other player ... no exaggeration! Fortunately I was Givin a refund lol but wow!

drinn

Grandmaster
UOF got skill & power scrolls, why not making them something valuable in real money? For example one skill scroll for $1. 105 power scroll for $5 etc... For the people, who are just too lazy to level up. For starters you could get 2 first skills GM.

Micropayments, which are very popular amongst mobile applications and games today.

Also adding them legal to change in-game and real money between them. For grinders.

The Gandin

Grandmaster
This isn't a good idea. I'm sorry, but it's not. You're basically wanting to spread the player base. Plus, most people came to free shards to get away from AoS and above on OSI. Trying to say we should start implementing that (regardless of if the "old UOF" is still an option) is silly.

Streets

Grandmaster
UOF got skill & power scrolls, why not making them something valuable in real money? For example one skill scroll for $1. 105 power scroll for $5 etc... For the people, who are just too lazy to level up. For starters you could get 2 first skills GM.

Micropayments, which are very popular amongst mobile applications and games today.

Also adding them legal to change in-game and real money between them. For grinders.

The problem with this is you change the game from free to play to pay to win... those who pay the most will always win. Should the best player in the game be the one with the best skills or the one who is richest? The system we have now is more than fair as a buisness model.

Lexington

Grandmaster
I hate to say it but I've caught myself looking for another place to play UO recently.... Is it because UOF is bad? Definitely not! UOF is, by far, the best server I've ever played on. But, I'm looking for a change of pace.. Something different. I've pretty much burned myself out of this era of UO for now.

I'm proposing that @Shane and co. open up a new server with a different ruleset (AoS & ML). Now, before you begin the flaming and endless rants of how bad this suggestion is and how bad of a player I am, just take a deep breath and relax for a minute. Then continue reading :)

I suggest keeping the same login info for this new server so that it would look like OSI did when logging in but instead of different servers with the same ruleset, it would have Ultima Forever - UO:R / T2A and Ultima Forever - AoS / ML.
Example:
2PVoBvu.jpg

The idea behind this is to bring everyone who plays UO here, to the UOForever community. Will the current UOF server lose a few peoples? Maybe, but not necessarily.. Overall, I believe it will bring in way more than we'd lose. This also gives people an opportunity to try something new. I know many people who have never played in the AoS+ ruleset but they want to! They want to try it out and see how it is. With this system, UOF wouldn't lose players overall because they wouldn't have to go to server X or server Y to experience something new. This system also helps prevent players from burning themselves out. Everyone burns out at some point and they stop playing for a while... With this system, if someone burns out of 1 era, they can just go play the other. It's a different pace, different skills and abilities, different everything BUT, still UO. Still UOForever.

If Shane and co. can create something like this and start up an AoS/ML era server that is just half as good as UOF currently, then I'm convinced it'll be the best out there. Thats because we're already the best out there (for our era).

Also, this shouldn't take away from the current developments of the server we currently have. Hire new people to code the new ruleset server. Preferably, people who know the general mechanics of the ruleset. This way, Shane can still oversee what goes on and is still in charge. This way, both servers can continually be in development and continue to pump out awesome new content for players.

Lets make the UOForever community bigger. Shane, @Adam , and the other staff have created the best server UO has to offer. We should expand on this and bring in more players who prefer a different ruleset than we currently have. Who knows... Maybe the players a new server attracts may want to test out the UO:R/T2A ruleset. Either way, the players stay here in the UOF community instead of playing in other places.

Cool idea but I don't think there is the population to support it. That's why T2A never opened. That said if the population could support it... instead of a new shard how about a new landmass on the same server like Trammel... instead of Trammel rules AOS rules?

Streets

Grandmaster
@Lexington I like where you are headed but I still hesitate. First off no trammel ever :)

Second it can get confusing for players to memorize 2 different rules. And where they apply

Now I could defined ly see this as either an event like zombies make a aos event or better yet (in my opinion) a new battle ground type.. like we have rules for turnements and duels what about a aos ctf or aos king of the hill etc?

It spices things up but not disrupting to normal game play?

drinn

Grandmaster
The problem with this is you change the game from free to play to pay to win... those who pay the most will always win. Should the best player in the game be the one with the best skills or the one who is richest? The system we have now is more than fair as a buisness model.

That is "unfortunately" the fact the real world is facing as well. People, who got money will "win" and money follows money.

But fortunately that is the only way to get UO scene larger at this point. At WoW there has not been that large difference, if you buy for example that level 90 boost for €50. For that game leveling a character has been the most BORING chapter ever. People simply does not want that these days. They want to get playing at "top" level already.

Then again, the only difference among players is the time you spend for practising. There is a huge difference, if you have just bought a new top character, but you don't know how to play it yet. Prac will make you best.

That money will also help the shard by supporting its staff for giving such money for in-game stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.