Diversifying Mage PvP

drasked

Grandmaster
Uh, what weird guard wack stuff? You mean hitting innocent players or things with explosion potions? That's not weird... it prevented expl potions from being thrown in town. If players made the choice to throw in town, they ran a clear and obvious risk. And that's how it should be.

Looks like staff did like the splash concept but not the guard whack part.

Winstonian

Grandmaster
Looks like staff did like the splash concept but not the guard whack part.
Potions should splash, hitting everyone around them. That way, all sides get what they want: players who want mage diversity have towns, while those that want alchy/stun have everywhere else. Just the way K A Z wants it.

TyroneG

Master
Explo pots splashing on everyone just makes for too much griefing. People skirting the guardline and/or hopping off horses to get people guardwhacked or flag them grey for blues to gank. People turning red just because they throw a pot while attempting to have some consensual PvP. I believe staff found a pretty good middle ground in that they damage people that are criminal/red and attacking people who are green.

Winstonian

Grandmaster
... then they shouldn't do those things? Either don't throw them with risk, or don't throw them near town? It sounds like exactly the way it should be.

drasked

Grandmaster
They don't?

But they do. Pots didnt splash on friendly targets before and now they do, they have changed how this works multiple times and ended up where we are now.

The notion that exluding explo pots from town will diversify mage pvp is false, it would simply promote templates that can't die under that ruleset like stun/heal or further promote already strong 1v1 templates like tamers.

I think you are better off just arguing directly against explo pots and why you think the mechanic itself is bad.

Winstonian

Grandmaster
But they do. Pots didnt splash on friendly targets before and now they do, they have changed how this works multiple times and ended up where we are now.

The notion that exluding explo pots from town will diversify mage pvp is false, it would simply promote templates that can't die under that ruleset like stun/heal or further promote already strong 1v1 templates like tamers.

I think you are better off just arguing directly against explo pots and why you think the mechanic itself is bad.
Stop pretending that the way it is now is permanent. The UOF staff is constantly exploring better ways to do things.

Second paragraph: so, other mages other than alchy/stun will be used? Perfect. Sounds like mage build diversity, as well as legitimate options for all players and playstyles.

drasked

Grandmaster
The UOF staff is constantly exploring better ways to do things.

That is exactly what i'm saying. Staff has explored this mechanic and changed it multiple times and you are currently looking at the result of that.

Second paragraph: so, other mages other than alchy/stun will be used? Perfect. Sounds like mage build diversity, as well as legitimate options for all players and playstyles.

Other templates are already being used, so in that sense we have diversity already. But putting another template at the top is not mage pvp diversity.

K A Z

Grandmaster
i still think that they should definitely change PVP so that @Winstonian and his invisible (and only maybe existing) army of casual PvPers joins in!

Winstonian

Grandmaster
That is exactly what i'm saying. Staff has explored this mechanic and changed it multiple times and you are currently looking at the result of that.

Other templates are already being used, so in that sense we have diversity already. But putting another template at the top is not mage pvp diversity.
Many aren't satisfied with how pots currently function. Where we are now isn't final. (Unless they are. I'd love confirmation.)

I agree. Thank goodness we wouldn't be doing that.

K A Z

Grandmaster
aIjj1D0.jpg

K A Z

Grandmaster
So could you put a finger on what exactly the problem is with explo pots?

they exist and people die to them

nah, I think it's just not how those people "remember UO" from back in the day when they were able to kill people with 75 fencing chars

Winstonian

Grandmaster
So could you put a finger on what exactly the problem is with explo pots?
Sure. The same thing that would be wrong with giving everyone a tamed dragon with 0 Taming/Lore: it conflicts with what PvP should be to many, doesn't function as it did in the past, and has led to a clear-cut meta mage 1v1 build.

Now, some would just say "adapt, run around with your free dragon and enjoy the kills, this is UOF", and many still wouldn't like it.

K A Z

Grandmaster
Sure. The same thing that would be wrong with giving everyone a tamed dragon with 0 Taming/Lore: it conflicts with what PvP should be to many, doesn't function as it did in the past, and has led to a clear-cut meta mage 1v1 build.

Now, some would just say "adapt, run around with your free dragon and enjoy the kills, this is UOF", and many still wouldn't like it.

doesn't the very same apply to vanquishing weapons, runic weapons, just about every armor or any item that can somehow be used in pvp? I really do not understand what you are trying to say? How can explopots and dragons be compared ?! And why do you keep on saying that Alchymages are the best 1v1 templates when it's actually the Taming-Mage or an Alchydexxer?!

Winstonian

Grandmaster
doesn't the very same apply to vanquishing weapons, runic weapons, just about every armor or any item that can somehow be used in pvp? I really do not understand what you are trying to say? How can explopots and dragons be compared ?! And why do you keep on saying that Alchymages are the best 1v1 templates when it's actually the Taming-Mage or an Alchydexxer?!
Do you want me to capitalize and bold the word MAGE each time I refer to expl/stun being the meta mage 1v1 build? Can we stop pretending that that isn't the basis for this entire conversation? I'll clear it up: it is. It has been established, by yourself and many others, that expl/stun is the meta mage vs mage build. That is the conversation.

It has no comparison to vanqs or armor types and you know this.

The comparison was giving someone an added damage mechanic that isn't functioning as it used to. You would say that it's lame for everyone to have a free dragon. I think having expl pots be required is the same level of lame.

K A Z

Grandmaster
Do you want me to capitalize and bold the word MAGE each time I refer to expl/stun being the meta mage 1v1 build? Can we stop pretending that that isn't the basis for this entire conversation? I'll clear it up: it is. It has been established, by yourself and many others, that expl/stun is the meta mage vs mage build. That is the conversation.

It has no comparison to vanqs or armor types and you know this.

The comparison was giving someone an added damage mechanic that isn't functioning as it used to. You would say that it's lame for everyone to have a free dragon. I think having expl pots be required is the same level of lame.

and do I have to hightlight the word MAGE in tamer MAGE for you to understand that it's a stronger template than an alchymage in a MAGE 1v1? And everybody can use explopots? I can be a healmage and throw pots. Not with as much damage but still ?! So your argument makes no senst really?! And why should this game be balanced around 1v1 MAGE fights when there are other classes to play too? So many questions left unanswered and so little sense it your utterances that it's getting very hard to actually engage in a conversation with you.

K A Z

Grandmaster

in that video, for example, I see different mage templates being played.. so where exactly is the issue!?