Eliminate PKs

ton loc

Master
Yes your so called statement I call crying because here you are saying "I want factions to be balanced" well guess what even if lets say it dropped to only 60 per faction, Minax would still be dominating the shard. All the other people who play the others factions either quit or threatening to quit so what will happen then............nothing just like before lol.

Yes I can't seem to stop laughing at this thread you are absolutely correct sir.
LLLOL do we play the same server?
Are you trying to tell me that if EQMS had to fight even numbers constantly, they would "dominate the shard"?

Hahahahahahahahaha. Y'all have enough trouble as it is. That was funny though.. Almost as funny as your "I shouldn't be forced to play the way I don't want to" comment. You must be on drugs too.

Edit: don't blues already have a champ that reds can't enter? Or did I hear that wrong?

Ryking,

You are not looking at it correctly. The joy of the game is the nerves and carefulness you have to apply to every situation. It is exciting to wonder what someone is doing.

Say you in the woods running around or something and someone runs up to you and says hey. Are they going to kill you, help you, ask you for help. You never know. Do they have good intentions or bad. You never know. This kind of thing was lost when they introduced trammel as all the people went there and the only people in Fel where the bad people. Now this might have been good for the people who wanted it, but obviously it wasn't since the game pretty much died except a few servers left with very loyal playerbase.

So obviously trammel or dungeons where people can't bother you is a bad idea. It takes away the element of questioning. If no one can bother you, you dont even care about them being around you. In this game anyone can screw with you, and you can screw with anyone else. It is what makes it great. You never know what someone is thinking about. It is a wonderful feeling of excitement. Just go to any dungeon and follow someone around. They get very nervous or confused or will just leave. Then you can farm. They might come back with a PK, who knows. It's amazing. It's FREE will to do what ever you want.

If you don't enjoy that aspect, then honestly I dont understand why you play UO, because the content isn't lacking from the GMs. The GM's leave the players in control to create their own content. If you want a challenge, equip a skinning knife and get a bunch of friends and go kill dragons with skinning knifes and 20 people.

It isn't someone elses responsibility to create fun for you in UO, that is why everyone likes it. You create your own fun by coming up with your own ideas. You can be a town drunk, and say funny stuff. Go buy 8 cats and walk around town saying, FREE CATS!

One of my fondest memories was on a OSI server that had a guild of people that role played orcs. They would run through deceit spamming all sorts of stuff and doing all sorts of crazy things. Also there were these bombers who would come in and wall everyone off at the bone wall and toss in a million purple potions. Man people died fast.

FFS. Do you sit in your house going. Man.. I wish someone would make something fun happen in my life. No you get out and do something. Or at least I hope you do.

Psyc420

Master
LLLOL do we play the same server?
Umm unless you are that fucking ******** then yes we do. :)
Are you trying to tell me that if EQMS had to fight even numbers constantly, they would "dominate the shard"?
lol no I said if it came down to factions having only 60 per faction, Minax would still Dominate because as of now you see any other Faction that can compete with the purple zerg? To break it down for your simple mind to comprehend, NOTHING WOULD CHANGE.
That better?
You must be on drugs too.
Who isn't on drugs that play UO?

EvilAcid

Grandmaster
I believe the best point made was about the excess of character creation. If anything this shard is way to easy for every class of player, "trammy or "pk" Especially the zerger's. I mean let's be real many join because they get sick of getting their ass whooped. Can you imagine some of these folk playing old school uo without all the fancy programs,perma stat and chat features. Rekt.

Also @Psyc420 it is true your gm and some of your guildies made threats of various kinds when confronted with more penalties for being red. It's fine, just like some of these pvmer's asking for an easier play style. The one compliment I give Glut is on how he took the easy road, he did it as UO was intended. By creating a cult like following of fanboys.

And speaking of fanboys and drugs. Just got back from a rockin music festival. Camp Wobbly Foot tore it up. Do you even Mothership Bro? Perhaps you should. Because let's face it, relax bro, take it easy it's just a game Lawl. (had to) ;)

Psyc420

Master
Also @Psyc420 it is true your gm and some of your guildies made threats of various kinds when confronted with more penalties for being red
If you want to call it threats, Id say it's more of we don't give a flying fuck either way. If they put perma stats in we will adapt and over come unlike most of Power that threaten to stop playing or leave the shard I mean come on it hasn't even happen yet. The biggest whiny ***** of them all is @Caso and the rest of the incredible kiwi clan.

Caso

Grandmaster
If you want to call it threats, Id say it's more of we don't give a flying fuck either way. If they put perma stats in we will adapt and over come unlike most of Power that threaten to stop playing or leave the shard I mean come on it hasn't even happen yet. The biggest whiny ***** of them all is @Caso and the rest of the incredible kiwi clan.
Big words from a small man in a giant zerg.

How's playing UO at 4am with a bunch of methheads of food stamps doing mate?

Caso

Grandmaster
Id rather be a small man than a GIANT ***** who crys about perma stats loss.

Awesome, Having a blast. :) Only 1am for me not 4am, Can you tell time or is that part of your mental illnesses?
I would have thought a giant ***** was one who travels in packs to gank a solo bard? Kind of like a pack of cowardly rapists.

Night is young for you my skinny pale friend. Unemployment and food stamps await.

Psyc420

Master
I would have thought a giant ***** was one who travels in packs to gank a solo bard?
Stop talking about Power like that! I thought they was your buddies?
Night is young for you my skinny pale friend. Unemployment and food stamps await.
lol you got it all wrong bro im 300+ and black. Unemployment and food stamps..............what is that?

Giabbo

Neophyte
Seriously Ryking, go and play elsewhere. Staff won't change UO Forever main concept for you. Just play elsewhere and you will be fine, there's no reason to stay here if you don't enjoy the game.

Soul Mate

Grandmaster
Ryking,

This kind of thing was lost when they introduced trammel as all the people went there and the only people in Fel where the bad people. Now this might have been good for the people who wanted it, but obviously it wasn't since the game pretty much died except a few servers left with very loyal playerbase.

While I have to disagree due to stats:people feel pretty passionate about the diminishing of UO's subscriber base, so naturally they try to assign blame. The numbers tell a very different story from what most of these people assume.

9/1997: UO's launch
-- Start, 0 subs
10/1998: T2A's launch (Lost Lands)
-- ~90,000 subs
5/2000: Renaissance's launch (Trammel)
-- ~130,000 subs
7/2001: Third Dawn's launch (3D client, Champions)
-- ~190,000 subs
2/2002: Lord Blackthorn's Revenge launch (Ilshenar, Champion spawns modified to provide no-loot PvP for participants in Felucca)
-- ~225,000 subs
2/2003: Age of Shadows (Malas, Necromancy, Chivalry)
-- ~225,000 subs
2/2004: OSI disbanded by EA, EA takes over development of UO
-- ~225,000 subs
11/2004: Samurai Empire (Tokuno Islands, Ninjitsu, Bushido)
-- ~125,000 subs
8/2005: Mondain's Legacy (Elves, Spellweaving)
-- ~125,000 subs
8/2006: Nothing special
-- ~115,000 subs
8/2007: Nothing special
-- ~100,000 subs
8/2008: Artifacts were added to champion rewards
-- ~100,000 subs
9/2009: Stygian Abyss (Gargoyles, Underworld/Abyss, Imbuing, Mysticism, other nonsense)
-- ~100,000 subs - This is the last subscriber base number I can find published

These numbers represent only a partial picture of what happened with UO because EA began running promotions in attempts to revitalize the player base at various points. These promotions included free game time for players, blessing scrolls, special pets, and other stuff that just generally angered players. Still, it's pretty clear here that Trammel wasn't the problem with UO's declining subscriber base. In fact, UO's subscriber numbers grew for almost two full years after the introduction of Trammel.

I do believe that U.O would be stale and boring without Pk's , infact I have had a sincere change of heart, I can only hope red guilds flourish and continue on with rampant growth..

Those stats are interesting, and do reveal that trammel might not have immediately killed the game, but IMO and the opinion of many many friends who played, it was mainly trammel that killed it for us. Inflation skyrocketed and there was absolutely no reason to be in Fel besides champ spawns. The final thing that ruined it for me was the addition of all the magic weapons that did all sorts of crazy stuff. I remember dying to skinning knifes in 2 hits.

One thing I never understood is why they tried to split the client into 3d and 2d. I guess they saw EQ taking off and thought they would try to catch up, instead of working on real content it forced them to split time into both clients and it really sucked. That was a terrible decision by the game developers. If a game is great no one but morons care about graphics.

I actually enjoyed a lot of the AoS stuff. It needed further balancing, but I liked the addition of the spells to pvp, made more templates interesting. I also enjoyed the stat cap increase from power scrolls. It made hybrids much more powerful, but again. Those things just added diversity. If you look at trammel and fel as separate shards, and classify them as populations on each. The fel shard died within a few months of tram being released. Or at least on the server I played it did. This is just my view as I enjoyed the more risky play style and being hunted and hunting others was a very huge part of my enjoyment. I have never been a big PVE fan. I made most of my money in UO by being really good at stealing expensive plants in town and placing houses when IDOCs were being camped. Real Estate was my main form of income because I dont really enjoy the PVE in this game.

P.S. Kiwi's are New Zealanders not Australians.

Soul Mate

Grandmaster
Those stats are interesting, and do reveal that trammel might not have immediately killed the game, but IMO and the opinion of many many friends who played, it was mainly trammel that killed it for us. Inflation skyrocketed and there was absolutely no reason to be in Fel besides champ spawns. The final thing that ruined it for me was the addition of all the magic weapons that did all sorts of crazy stuff. I remember dying to skinning knifes in 2 hits.

I am not all that sure about inflation, I left Sonoma for Siege Perilous ...

One thing I never understood is why they tried to split the client into 3d and 2d. I guess they saw EQ taking off and thought they would try to catch up, instead of working on real content it forced them to split time into both clients and it really sucked. That was a terrible decision by the game developers. If a game is great no one but morons care about graphics.

I actually enjoyed a lot of the AoS stuff. It needed further balancing, but I liked the addition of the spells to pvp, made more templates interesting. I also enjoyed the stat cap increase from power scrolls. It made hybrids much more powerful, but again. Those things just added diversity. If you look at trammel and fel as separate shards, and classify them as populations on each. The fel shard died within a few months of tram being released. Or at least on the server I played it did. This is just my view as I enjoyed the more risky play style and being hunted and hunting others was a very huge part of my enjoyment. I have never been a big PVE fan. I made most of my money in UO by being really good at stealing expensive plants in town and placing houses when IDOCs were being camped. Real Estate was my main form of income because I dont really enjoy the PVE in this game.

I too hated all the bullsh&t with magic weapon bs....just more dumb sh*T.

ton loc

Master
we tried a different sever because killing 29 noobs at a time gets old.

Speaking of noobs, aren't you just one of the baddies that got griefed into joining EQMS/joined for "safety"? LAWL I don't think you are in any position to call anyone else a *****, *****.

MZ3K

Grandmaster
@Shane @allpks

PKing is game sanctioned griefing. There is no value to it as a play style or to the enjoyment of the game. It is a flaw that was corrected by OSI with the advent of Trammel and every MMO since. Let me explain...

It's griefing because it allows one player to ruin the enjoyment of another. You call it a play style, but that is just an excuse. If the way you get your fun is by ruining mine, you're a griefer, period. There is no other form of player interaction in which one player intentionally and maliciously does harm to another player and it's not considered griefing.

"It brings back the nostalgia of the game" or "It puts the fear back into going into a dungeon" - Oh please. I've been playing since 98 and I ran my own server for a while and I can tell you that during that time I have never heard anyone say to me, "this is great, but I wish someone would come and kill me and take all my stuff". I've never heard anyone say "ahh man I just got pk'd, that was awesome!" The truth is this is just a fallacy. If it were true, why not eliminate lock downs in housing? Don't you miss the days when someone would sneak into your house and clean it out when you logged from the game? If you want a challenge in the dungeons, create harder dungeons.

"I enjoy pvp" - Well that's not pvp. Player vs Player combat involves two or more consenting players duking it out. It's a game of skill which takes a long time to master. I respect the hell out of pvpers because I've seen what it takes to practice it and many of them are far better gamers than I am. What you're doing is sucker punching some innocent bystander. That's like saying you're a pro-boxer and then going out and decking some poor guy on the street and stealing his wallet. If PKs truly do enjoy pvp, why is that reds don't attack other reds? (Maybe some do, but I've read that many don't). It's bullying. I don't mean for this to be an attack, I'm simply trying to open your eyes to the truth. If you enjoy pvp, join a faction or pvp guild and play with like minded players and have fun. I applaud you for it.

"There's no challenge to pvm" - First, blame your GM. They should be doing more than just blocking off an area in Ilshenar and calling it a new dungeon. Second, if you wanted a challenge you wouldn't be picking on innocent players just trying to have a good time.

"But I role play a murderer" - still just an excuse for most. Role players use a certain code or set of rules which govern how they interact. If you want to pretend to be a role player, where is your bio, or your community, or your storyline? 99% you don't have one. For those of you who actually do role play a murderer, consider whether or not your victims view it that way. You may still be a griefer.

"Players can fight back" - yes but most don't want to. They are neither geared for it nor skilled for it. Most of them just want to enjoy the game with their friends or spend a few hours earning some gold and unwinding at the end of their day. There are all kinds of people in the world, and that includes people who don't like confrontation of any kind. Say what you want, but they have just as much right to enjoy this game as you do.

"It's just a game" - yes, so why not let me enjoy it? I play this game because it is fun, relaxing, and bring backs good memories. I have met a lot of really great people and I enjoy spending time with them. But we can't do the things we want to do because you prevent it. PKs are like a DOS attack because they are preventing the pvmer from doing what they want to do. I can't go out to a dungeon, I can't do a tmap, I can't even fish without being pk'd! So meanwhile the dungeons remain empty, the seas devoid of activity, and the hard work of the GMs unseen and unenjoyed because of PKs.

"If you allow players to farm dungeons with impunity it hurts the game economy" - this is a valid point, but once again we go back to the Game Master. It is the role of a Game Master to balance the game mechanics. If they're worried about the economy there are many other proven methods for controlling, including gold sinks and reducing loot. Think about all of the other aspects of this game that can't be enjoyed because of PKs and ask yourself if it's worth it.

These are my personal views on the subject, like it or not. I don't expect everyone to agree with any or all of what I've said, but I felt like I had to get this off my chest. I expect to be flamed for them. I expect to be called a carebear (ouch). Bring it on, I'm sure you'll enjoy that form of griefing too. But if you have some concise and valid argument against any portion of what I've asserted I welcome your rebuttal. I promise to respect your views if you have respected mine, it's that simple.

For those of you who fully agree with what I've said, I ask for your support here. Even a simple "I agree with..." or like would go a long way to demonstrating our point of view.

To the GMs, I want to say that I respect and appreciate what you do. I may have painted some of the things you have done as somewhat lazy, but I'm being honest and trying to give you real criticism. I could've sugar coated it but frankly I'm not in the mood. But make no mistake that, aside from these criticisms, this is by far the best server around. It's better than the one I created myself. I've donated to this server because I generally support what you do and I know it's hard, expensive, and sometimes thankless. I just hope you can understand my point of view on this subject. Let this thread speak for itself; they're either going to say I'm right or I'm wrong. All I ask is that you listen.

Freedom to do just about anything is the main reason to play UO in 2016. No other MMO has come close in terms of the freedom players have to do what they want. If you remove player killing, you take away a huge part of that freedom.

I don't pk, but I like that I have the choice not to.

(All that said, reds do need harsher penalties - it's too easy to run one atm.)

MZ3K

Grandmaster
PKing is game sanctioned griefing. There is no value to it as a play style or to the enjoyment of the game. It is a flaw that was corrected by OSI with the advent of Trammel and every MMO since.

Is it April 1st?