Get rid of Explotion potions

Blair

Master
I don't think explosion potions are OP, and I don't play an alchemist very often. I normally play templates no one else plays because I find it fun to kill people on unorthodox templates. PvP in this game is fun because any template can beat any other template, if played correctly. Here's a 1v2 where I play a bard mage vs 2 alchy mages.

I don't really understand the comments about basing PvP around 10-15 people. What you guys seem to desire would be the equivalent of a game like League of Legends basing their balancing around bronze league.

girana

Grandmaster
I don't think explosion potions are OP, and I don't play an alchemist very often. I normally play templates no one else plays because I find it fun to kill people on unorthodox templates. PvP in this game is fun because any template can beat any other template, if played correctly. Here's a 1v2 where I play a bard mage vs 2 alchy mages.

I don't really understand the comments about basing PvP around 10-15 people. What you guys seem to desire would be the equivalent of a game like League of Legends basing their balancing around bronze league.

compare LoL and UO

lol didnt know UO is a MOBA .

didnt know i play in UO only against ppl that got my ELO.

MZ3K

Grandmaster
any template can beat any other template, if played correctly.

That sentence is too meaningless to be said as often as it is.

Note that it's also possible for any kind of amputee to play the violin if played correctly. The sentence is tautologous and it misses the point about practicality.

The part "any template can beat any other template" just says that it's possible for x to beat y. It's also possible that x will win the lottery. It doesn't mean it's likely to happen.

Tard the Paladin

Grandmaster
Not so much specific recommendations for fear of changing too much of the core game, because without it what's the point. There's only so many skills to choose from for influencing PvP and we're kind of at the limit.

That being said I think general changes that would encourage on-screen fighting alone are going to open up the PvP scene a little more for dexers, hybrids, rarely seen nox mage builds. But that's gonna require balancing of several mechanics and nobody wants to deal with all that so pots it is.

And you kinda touched on it when you mentioned a fight ending because a player ran out of oddball resources...how often does that even happen nowadays?

Thing is part of my bias is I kinda half suck with pots...and yet I have very few builds without alchy and I wish that weren't the case.

In a perfect world running would only be semi-viable and consume resources from all parties involved, not demand resources from those chasing in order to land a kill if that makes sense.

I hear you. My pot throwing has gotten much better but I still miss. From what I've heard, Razor is the client that can let you script pot throwing where you never miss. I forget why razor can achieve this while steam cannot.

The endless running does raise questions. On the one hand it gives newer players a better chance at surviving. On the other hand it hurts faction fighting because as soon as 1 or 2 players go down then that team flees.

You mention that you'd like to see the game allow other builds achieve the same prowess as the ones we have now. I'm all for that. Heck I'd like to see AOS templates (of course I'd be partial to the Paladin class). I truly believe that different builds and more diverse end game content would liven up UOF more than any new pixels or dungeons. So long as things are balanced in terms of grinding, costs, rewards, penalties, etc.

Blair

Master
Note that it's also possible for any kind of amputee to play the violin if played correctly. The sentence is tautologous and it misses the point about practicality.

The part "any template can beat any other template" just says that it's possible for x to beat y. It's also possible that x will win the lottery. It doesn't mean it's likely to happen.

If you play your template to its strengths, while forcing your enemy to play into its weaknesses. Does that make more sense?

Watch the video, I play to my templates strengths and win (eventually).

lollo

Grandmaster
If you play your template to its strengths, while forcing your enemy to play into its weaknesses. Does that make more sense?

I agree with you but the players in the video were scrubs

Yoko Kurama

Master

Just curious, what does a video of some random guy fighting 2 random noobs, even suppose to mean?
UO doesn't really even really have many templates. Mage, fighter, rogue? That about sums it up. The last skill or two are usually according to preference, but the options are very limited...you can almost think of it like a core build, and then 1 or 2 choices you can customize. But does it really matter? Is the pvp about build/template, or 100% about player skill, and skill using sallos/razor/steam?
If 2 people gank 1, no matter the build if it is even skill the 2 will win. Even if you are a meta dexxer with maxed defensive talisman, fighting in a room of dragons...you will lose...even if you cheat, you will lose. In fact, 1 v 1 the better player is gonna win 99% of the time. I use to pk almost daily with my friend, we never lost to a single person...didn't matter if it was the best player on the server...2 v 1 in uo, you could never ever ever ever ever beat us no matter what build you used. So just because you found these 2 who you killed, does that really reflect on reality or is it just an exception? POWER is basically dead, but we use to raid 20-30 people with 3-4 players and they wouldn't even fight back. It made 0 difference which template. We could have went on herders/provokers and herded farm animals there and provoked them, and the outcome would still be the same.
It just seems like you said you dont understand what people are saying or why, BUT they are wrong...and watch your video because you are badass and killed two people once. You never explained why you think purple potions are balanced, though.
Also, do you think against two skilled alchy mages with experience playing together, you could ever have a chance?
I once killed 5 people on my archer/provoker at dragon island just by running around...well I didnt, the dragon paragon did, but I didn't even provoke...I just ran around healing myself and they all died. I don't think it would happen again, but if I posted that video, what would it prove?

Blair

Master
Just curious, what does a video of some random guy fighting 2 random noobs, even suppose to mean?

It's supposed to mean that just because you have 100 alchy and throw explode pots doesn't mean you auto-win every fight because of your template. I must admit I'm not surprised you missed that. It was also to show that pretty much any template is viable if you play it correctly. If explode pots are so busted, how can I beat two alchys on a sub par template?

ps. the answer is because they aren't busted or OP.

Yoko Kurama

Master
It's supposed to mean that just because you have 100 alchy and throw explode pots doesn't mean you auto-win every fight because of your template. I must admit I'm not surprised you missed that. It was also to show that pretty much any template is viable if you play it correctly. If explode pots are so busted, how can I beat two alchys on a sub par template?

ps. the answer is because they aren't busted or OP.
Well that is like saying in LoL that a champ isn't busted because even though 9 people can literally faceroll whole teams...you played a game against said champ (who happens to be flavor of the day) and they went 0-20-0.....even though the other 9 went average of 25-0-0. I guess my point is that I think purple potions are overpowered. I think they should have some kind of nerf like you did with stuns...maybe make it so for 5 seconds, getting hit with potions does 1/2 damage or something...I am in EQMS, and I know when we are rolling 10 deep and we all load and explode and follow it with a purple potion, even if 3 or 4 hit...that is too much burst damage....lol and we are eqms...so the other 6 probably hit our own players! But still, those 3 or 4 right there is enough to kill a player...as if the wands and ebolt rails werent enough=P Also, I throw purples all the time and I am not an alchemist, the small decrease in damage doesn't even get noticed in a big group or zerg...the benefit of GM alchy only gives you maybe 5-10 extra damage for every 3 potions thrown. I am saying purples in general, I don't think alchy is the problem...if they were smart, they would sub something else for alchemy and still throw the potions.

My solution- So I think for 1 or 2 people purples are just fine, but you should add some type of limit to the amount of damage...if you are covered by burning purple napalm, you figure for a few seconds getting hit by more burning purple napalm would have a diminishing return. Maybe just make it so 5 seconds or 8 seconds or 10, or whatever length, every additional potion does half damage...it wouldn't make a difference in 1 v 1, but it would give people more of a fighting chance for 2v1, or even 3v1. It would encourage people to fight more when outnumbered.
In my opinion, those are the type of changes we need...drastic enough to affect large zergs, but no change when it comes to small encounters.
ps- Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Derwolf

Grandmaster
I'd say yoko's pvp skill and knowledge are right up there with his pumkpin carving

#leet

22b87021764f8e7b04cac5a563c2ccd7.png

Derwolf

Grandmaster
Would be cool if all players could use gheal wands without forced to play factions.

All blues should be able to use wands tbh

"Wands faction only" only increases the skill cap.You have to join factions even if you just wanted to test out wands (idk if you can still use them in the duel pits). Any type of wand should be able to be used by anyone,it would allow people to test them out on their blue chars without having to worry about being in factions. If i'm a casual blue its much more inviting for me test wands on random reds in no cut/dungeons than having to get on a factioner, get ganked and lose all my stock. The biggest argument is "reds will never be able to use wands vs farmers" honestly a noob farmer is going to die to an experience pk 8/10 + i don't know any pvper that would waste 10k+ in wands charges just to a kill bard that has 2k gold, 50 each reg, and a few pots. Or make it so red factioners cant use wands vs blues, it would be nice to get a wand drop off or gheal myself with a wand while farming on my blue

Last edited by a moderator:

MZ3K

Grandmaster

No it's more or less the same thing as saying if you play it correctly. The problem is that it doesn't say anything about how practical it is 'to play your strengths and force your opponent to play into her weaknesses' or about how likely an attempt to do that is to succeed.

MZ3K

Grandmaster
UO doesn't really even really have many templates. Mage, fighter, rogue? That about sums it up.

I'd add tamer and bard to that, but otherwise ya. It's funny how a game that allows for so many skill combinations has so few viable ones.

Yoko Kurama

Master
I'd add tamer and bard to that, but otherwise ya. It's funny how a game that allows for so many skill combinations has so few viable ones.
Ya but I meant for pvp, and they don't want tamers to pvp here. For pvm, the meta talismans and tamers add a lot of depth, for sure!

drasked

Grandmaster
No it's more or less the same thing as saying if you play it correctly. The problem is that it doesn't say anything about how practical it is 'to play your strengths and force your opponent to play into her weaknesses' or about how likely an attempt to do that is to succeed.

It's a PVM template winning 1v2 against alchy mages, i thought that was your wet dream... guess you didn't comprehend what was going on in the vid?