How is a Dexxer supposed to win? Legit Question

Slick Brick

Grandmaster
So I have been playing a bit on my lumberjack, he's not finished by any means-- has 90s lumberjack and 60's resist and 50 magery but everything else is 100 (swords tacs anat healing). I decided to mess around and do the 7x tournament, where I won 4 matches all against mages and ended up taking the Bronze trophy, which I was happy with. Granted I didn't think any of them were fantastic.

The problem I have is that the match I lost, which was against that Marly guy who has like 6 ping because apparently the server is located in his house, I missed 5 swings in a row in the start of the match and could not overcome it as he got to spam mindblast until his fingers fell off, without being disturbed. Judging by this, the only way to really beat a solid mage is to get lucky on the RNG with hit chance? I also just was fighting a Spirit of Christmas, and during the fight I had one set of attacks where I missed 8(EIGHT) attacks in a row, and another set where I missed THIRTEEN (13) in a row. How are you supposed to kill anything when the RNG is this bad? Is there any way to balance it or is this considered balanced? I was even using an axe that increased tactics to 110 which should give a little extra chance to hit I would think.

Legit question, thanks for any feedback-- raging troll responses will be ignored.

hoodfigure

Master
Get accuracy weapons... Ups your hit chance% Fighting someone with 100 Wrestle means you have 50% chance to hit... So yeah whiffing happens

Slick Brick

Grandmaster
Get accuracy weapons... Ups your hit chance% Fighting someone with 100 Wrestle means you have 50% chance to hit... So yeah whiffing happens
Yeah definitely.. I was just thinking maybe they could implement some code along the lines of If MissedHit >= 5 then HitChance = 100%, but by accuracy weapons you mean like Supremely Accurate, Eminently accurate etc... I was using an eminently accurate in these situations =P

Duckworth

Grandmaster
Tactics does not improve your chance to hit since it´s based on your weapon skill vs your opponent´s.
I am not sure food affects gameplay here on UOF but I make sure I´m always full.

Slick Brick

Grandmaster
Tactics does not improve your chance to hit since it´s based on your weapon skill vs your opponent´s.
I am not sure food affects gameplay here on UOF but I make sure I´m always full.
Oh okay I thought tactics was a big part of the chance to hit. Thanks for the heads up. Just to clarify there is no P Scrolls to increase any weapon scrolls over 100 on this server is there?

Duckworth

Grandmaster
Slick, here is how it works on this server.

Weapon Skill = Hit Chance (Affected by your opponent´s weapon/wrestle skill level)
Tactics = Bonus Damage
Anatomy = Lower Bonus Damage

No weapon scrolls here.

Wrexx

Grandmaster
Archery is the only weapon skill that accuracy modifiers give you just that
All other weapon skills it gives tactics which gives you damage.

Duck beat me

Slick Brick

Grandmaster
Well thanks for all the good feedback, but relating this back to the original question: Basically Dexxers will only win against a great mage with RNG luck from that 50% chance to hit is what I am getting. Is that really balanced when mages are based on skill pursuant to the combination and timing of spells which are cast? Not to mention a pretty OP wrestling stun which can be used over and over with a few red pots. To me, this doesn't seem equal and I believe the top mage will ALWAYS beat the top dexxer(if there is a top dexxer, because IT would be based a lot on RNG) in any situation as it is now.

Edit: Not to mention that if you really want to hack at them with a vanquishing weapon, you have to risk losing it and your regs/pots while mages only have to risk a blessed spellbook and a few dozen of each reagent and a few potions.

Arch Enemy

Grandmaster
So I have been playing a bit on my lumberjack, he's not finished by any means-- has 90s lumberjack and 60's resist and 50 magery but everything else is 100 (swords tacs anat healing). I decided to mess around and do the 7x tournament, where I won 4 matches all against mages and ended up taking the Bronze trophy, which I was happy with. Granted I didn't think any of them were fantastic.

The problem I have is that the match I lost, which was against that Marly guy who has like 6 ping because apparently the server is located in his house, I missed 5 swings in a row in the start of the match and could not overcome it as he got to spam mindblast until his fingers fell off, without being disturbed. Judging by this, the only way to really beat a solid mage is to get lucky on the RNG with hit chance? I also just was fighting a Spirit of Christmas, and during the fight I had one set of attacks where I missed 8(EIGHT) attacks in a row, and another set where I missed THIRTEEN (13) in a row. How are you supposed to kill anything when the RNG is this bad? Is there any way to balance it or is this considered balanced? I was even using an axe that increased tactics to 110 which should give a little extra chance to hit I would think.

Legit question, thanks for any feedback-- raging troll responses will be ignored.

Easy, if he's just spamming mindblast, just gheal inbetween the mindblasts. The amount you heal is determined by your magery, so with only 50 magery you won't heal very much. But at GM magery, and even with only 25 int, cast two gheals and you're most likely at 100% hp again and can go back to axing his ass. Lumberjacks are so OP against mages in duels. The conc blows are a nightmare for mages, and the extra damage is good too. I'm surprised you beat 4 mages with only 60 resist, they must have really been bad.

Also yeah what someone else about monsters having inflated stats that are more than GM, it's true. Don't take that as indicitive of anything relating to PvP.

Duckworth

Grandmaster
You would need to switch weapons to a faster one like a katana, use deadly poison, rotate poisoned weapons and many other things that make a good dexxer. Dueling dexxers are not very good against mages in the pits, you would have to have some magery and balanced stats to even out the fight.

Dexxers are way better at field pvp. A good dexxer would beat a good mage in the field in my opinion.

halygon

Grandmaster
Easy, if he's just spamming mindblast, just gheal inbetween the mindblasts. The amount you heal is determined by your magery, so with only 50 magery you won't heal very much. But at GM magery, and even with only 25 int, cast two gheals and you're most likely at 100% hp again and can go back to axing his ass. Lumberjacks are so OP against mages in duels. The conc blows are a nightmare for mages, and the extra damage is good too. I'm surprised you beat 4 mages with only 60 resist, they must have really been bad.

Also yeah what someone else about monsters having inflated stats that are more than GM, it's true. Don't take that as indicitive of anything relating to PvP.
So this ^^ is a good start but vs a good alchy stun mage you would still be toast unless you got in a lucky conc blow. But here's what's gonna happen when you do get that conc blow in. The mage will run in circles doing nothing but potting you and healing till the effect wears off him.

The reason LJ can whoop some mage butt is because of the large damage they can do. Keep in mind that although a gheal can heal a lot of hp, mini heal is primarily used because it's easier to get off when a dexxor is chasing you. Big damage is hard to stay ahead of on a mage. The same idea goes for war hammer dexxors as they do big damage too.

Unless you are rolling a crazy big axe (like a Val runic), a great Mage will probably take you down.

You can, however win against a good Mage in the pits with other templates. An alchy nox dexxor is well known to be effective in duels and field fights. They win the same way a Mage wins - fast and furious attacks all at once. Alternatively, a well played alchy Hally dexxor or alchy war hammer dexxir can take down nearly any Mage.

When it comes down to it though, regardless of what dexxor template you are playing, it comes down to your dueling skills because they can bring a crappy template a long way.

Agentodd

Journeyman
GM Mage
GM Scribe
GM Mace
GM Tactics
GM Anat
GM Heal
GM Resist

85 str
90 dex
50 int