IDOC changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garillo

Master
I don't understand why the sudden departure from such a storied, respected, time honored UO traditional skill set and playstyle was needed.

Guess I have to make an elder tamer, fork over 100k to werkt \

I don't think werkt would be the way to go. Long story short, a rival guild of werkt was allied with a small IDOC team that also played the game for IDOCs. Werkt were the #1 advocates of the changes because said IDOC team found and timed the IDOCs and called in werkt's rival guild if muscle was needed. Werkt wasn't able to compete at the IDOCs so they had a very vocal group conveying their displeasure, often.

Asking for a vendor that gives away RDA locations would be consistent with the rhetoric used in this topic's problem solving.

Tard the Paladin

Grandmaster
I don't think werkt would be the way to go. Long story short, a rival guild of werkt was allied with a small IDOC team that also played the game for IDOCs. Werkt were the #1 advocates of the changes because said IDOC team found and timed the IDOCs and called in werkt's rival guild if muscle was needed. Werkt wasn't able to compete at the IDOCs so they had a very vocal group conveying their displeasure, often.

Asking for a vendor that gives away RDA locations would be consistent with the rhetoric used in this topic's problem solving.

It would actually make more sense to do an RDA vendor rather than an IDOC vendor.

More new players would benefit and participate in RDA's than IDOC's if they could choose between the two. New players actually need relics to complete their character which come from RDA's not IDOC's. Finding a way to include new players and small guilds in RDA's would please the player base more than the IDOC change.

If IDOCs were changed because one guild had an advantage then it makes total sense to do the same for RDA's.

Dig'em

Grandmaster
It would actually make more sense to do an RDA vendor rather than an IDOC vendor.

More new players would benefit and participate in RDA's than IDOC's if they could choose between the two. New players actually need relics to complete their character which come from RDA's not IDOC's. Finding a way to include new players and small guilds in RDA's would please the player base more than the IDOC change.

If IDOCs were changed because one guild had an advantage then it makes total sense to do the same for RDA's.
Lol if new players start showing up at rdas they're gonna get pked, end of story. Not trying to be rude or discourage anyone from doing rdas, but most vet guilds pk anyone that isn't them if they can right before the end, with idocs you have a much better chance of getting loot out as a nooblett because there's usually lots more loot at idocs, and with a well timed gate and a stealther you can get anything halfway across the map in 2 seconds. The better idea is your original one tard and make portal frags available other ways, so a small nooblett guild can grind out 5 and have an RDA to themselves, I also think this idoc vendor is a slap in the face to serious idocers, if people don't put the effort in to find them, why are they getting a basically free ride. This is really how I feel about the faction RDA too, in theory it's great, a reward for all your hard work defending the sigils, but no ones trying to take the sigils, much easier just to put a stealther in Minax and check the gates when they come up.

Tard the Paladin

Grandmaster
Lol if new players start showing up at rdas they're gonna get pked, end of story. Not trying to be rude or discourage anyone from doing rdas, but most vet guilds pk anyone that isn't them if they can right before the end, with idocs you have a much better chance of getting loot out as a nooblett because there's usually lots more loot at idocs, and with a well timed gate and a stealther you can get anything halfway across the map in 2 seconds. The better idea is your original one tard and make portal frags available other ways, so a small nooblett guild can grind out 5 and have an RDA to themselves, I also think this idoc vendor is a slap in the face to serious idocers, if people don't put the effort in to find them, why are they getting a basically free ride. This is really how I feel about the faction RDA too, in theory it's great, a reward for all your hard work defending the sigils, but no ones trying to take the sigils, much easier just to put a stealther in Minax and check the gates when they come up.

Yup. I agree with all of that.

:( i will not have fun anymore finding a house casually while i am running around Sosaria

There was certainly an aim. That's kinda the point. It's what I enjoy. It's considered a chore by many, which was great, it kept them away.

If I sound passionate about it it's because I am. This isn't like minor changes in swing speeds or cast recovery or fine tuning mob tracking. This is a major break from a time honored UO tradition for what seems like kowtowing to people that refused to play the game as intended but still want the phat lewts, just with no time or effort spent.

What are the odds this happens a month after I join here and have been working hard to make a small name for myself in housing and IDOCs? There's no rage here, just disappointment.
Honestly, this nerfs my playstyle right into the ground. Finding, tracking and camping IDOCs takes effort. You've got to run all over the map, fairly frequently, Mark your runes, continue checking on them for decay progression, maybe place a scout with tracking to scope out the neighborhood. Then you have to commit to actually being there and ready when it falls.

It was my fulltime UO job so to speak, and I loved it. My characters are specialized for it, I put in the time and effort and sometimes, just sometimes, it pays off big. The thrill of finding that greatly worn way out where you'd never normally ever go, watching it decay with great anticipation never knowing if others knew but hoping they didn't.

Waiting for a possible payout that may justify all the energy and effort you put in. The push to socialize and form a trusted team to help you loot and place.

It is why I'm here.

Now, every low effort player unwilling to commit to the traditional process can just have IDOC coords given to them?

I do my IDOC'ing 99% solo and I'm good at it because, like any other skill, I've worked at it and I put time in. I scrape a living out of the houses waaaay out in no man's land that my hard work led me to. When I get them, it feels earned. I gave up the time I could have been dueling, or taming or doing whatever else for this because I know so many others are unwilling to go that extra mile and I gamble it all on what mysterious loot may be inside.

It feels like the complete death of my playstyle. Now you can farm mobs all day everyday then show up to my remote IDOC at the last minute and murder my face off with your high end tameables. Every IDOC will have tons of attention and my chances as a solo home hunter are nil.

I don't understand why the sudden departure from such a storied, respected, time honored UO traditional skill set and playstyle was needed.

Guess I have to make an elder tamer, fork over 100k to werkt and start farming titans until my eyes bleed because the days of the solo house hunter are numbered here and all for what? It's the death knell for us brave solo nerds with more passion for exploration and the thrill of the hunt than interest in playing another generic farming character.

Losing this profession hurts. I don't want to be another farming clone when I grow up. Who is this supposed to be helping anyway?
Honestly, it just completely blows my mind. It feels like ANYTHING that requires a certain amount of effort, coordination, planning and dedication is being removed and replaced by something which requires very little thought and very little effort. First the rares system was removed, then RDA's became easy to track and now IDOC's. Has the gaming community become so incredibly thick and lazy?

Might as well just allow EASYUO and all other third party programs which are deemed illegal on here, the way things are going everything will be automated soon.
@Shane @eppy

So many people displeased with how the efforts of idocing is being taken away from them. The true reason is because you think one guild is over taking them all. When that isn't true, and many other have gotten 18x18s and more from simply fighting off eqms or just being there at the right time.
The true way to fix idocs is changing the drop to random after a few hours so this requires pvp to stay at the idocs awaiting for it to fall. Which allows people to group up against the evil that is trying to take it.

tankian

Grandmaster
personally i dont think the new idoc system will change anything. we dumped gold on the idoc npc , got the location went there, 1hr to go, and then eqms comes in. people can still go out and mark greatlies and time them, only things this new system does is create more pvp while sinking gold

personally i dont think the new idoc system will change anything. we dumped gold on the idoc npc , got the location went there, 1hr to go, and then eqms comes in. people can still go out and mark greatlies and time them, only things this new system does is create more pvp while sinking gold
Yea i told the staff this will only give EQMS the idocs that they don't have timed or mark. Lets say last week there was 3 idocs they didnt have now they will have them... They still can time yes, and will still come in at the last few seconds if there timers aren't killed.

tankian

Grandmaster
Yea i told the staff this will only give EQMS the idocs that they don't have timed or mark. Lets say last week there was 3 idocs they didnt have now they will have them... They still can time yes, and will still come in at the last few seconds if there timers aren't killed.
exactly

Shane

Administrator
Staff member
Read the main post, it's in beta stages, the two hour timer won't stay in as noted and every single idoc won't be available through that NPC.

I see 5-10 people upset about this, a couple of which don't even play here anymore. It benefits and makes way more people happy than upset. Of course every change we do is going to upset SOMEONE. If this post blew up with a 100 people being like wtf?! and we were getting pages and pm's about how stupid it was, then yes that's a bad move. But i've actually had more positive feedback than negative feedback on this so far. Do i think the system is done as it stands? No. There will be changes still, it's in a beta phase.

What was that the spock guy said something about the needs of many out weigh the needs of the few or the one? This is exactly the rule we follow and have followed since we launched.

It's interesting how the forums can look because in this post it looks like an overwhelming majority of people don't want the system which in fact it's not even close to being true, it's just the vocal few speaking up which is fine. It's the staffs job to see through this though.

I think this system will work if it doesn't shoot off EVERY idoc, and the timers are longer. I heard the PvP has been insane around idocs this weekend.

Cerebellum

Grandmaster
Read the main post, it's in beta stages, the two hour timer won't stay in as noted and every single idoc won't be available through that NPC.

I see 5-10 people upset about this, a couple of which don't even play here anymore. It benefits and makes way more people happy than upset. Of course every change we do is going to upset SOMEONE. If this post blew up with a 100 people being like wtf?! and we were getting pages and pm's about how stupid it was, then yes that's a bad move. But i've actually had more positive feedback than negative feedback on this so far. Do i think the system is done as it stands? No. There will be changes still, it's in a beta phase.

What was that the spock guy said something about the needs of many out weigh the needs of the few or the one? This is exactly the rule we follow and have followed since we launched.

It's interesting how the forums can look because in this post it looks like an overwhelming majority of people don't want the system which in fact it's not even close to being true, it's just the vocal few speaking up which is fine. It's the staffs job to see through this though.

I think this system will work if it doesn't shoot off EVERY idoc, and the timers are longer. I heard the PvP has been insane around idocs this weekend.

The system doesn't really hurt anything. However, it does kind of shit on those who've spent their UO years working to perfect their IDOCing.

I'm one of those people who don't really play here anymore. I do, however, keep an eye on things hoping that things change enough to give me a reason to come back and play actively. It's not looking promising (I keep trying though).

Shane

Administrator
Staff member
The system doesn't really hurt anything. However, it does kind of shit on those who've spent their UO years working to perfect their IDOCing.

I'm one of those people who don't really play here anymore. I do, however, keep an eye on things hoping that things change enough to give me a reason to come back and play actively. It's not looking promising (I keep trying though).

So does the scripts many people use and a lot of these "legit" idocers use.
Idocing is one of those things that has so much damn potential but is just horded by the few. I think it would be cool to take it further eventually and make it so if theres a butler with a certain amount of loot on it when the house falls a boss or special champ spawn or RDA pops up with ALL that butlers loot inside the mobs. It would bring tons of pvmers to idocs, which would bring pks which would bring pvpers i would think.

Just thinking out loud on that one though, we are open to any sweet suggestions that are reasonable on this system and that aren't directed to benefit just a few people on the server.

lummox

Master
Or you can keep the house standing when it collapses and spawn special demons that infest the house until it is exorcised. This means people have to go inside and defeat a hard monster boss and minions while defending it from pks. This can be in the form of an rda, the house collapses but in place is a portal with a replica of the house but haunted with all the stuff in the same place... Kind of like a cave house. You can't lure anything out and pets take double damage... Once the boss is defeated the instance des pawns and everything drops or whatever is left. You can do this with larger plots and leave the small ones as it is. The idoc vendor only gives coordinates to the larger of plots, which allows for the idocers to still grab smaller ones and profit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lummox

Master
Quit being so shortsighted of course there's going to be more characters that will PK for the PVm peeps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can we PLEASE stop making PVM chars do PVP? This is every solution I see here to every problem and it solves absolutely nothing except create more frustration! The shard doesn't have nearly enough population to work these ideas. There just aren't guilds big enough to have a dedicated PVM group AND a PVP group to protect them at any given time. I mean if not 75% of the shard was in EQMS then maybe I guess but since this will never happen all this "forcing PVM chars into PVP situations" is just killing it!

Status
Not open for further replies.