IDOC changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tard the Paladin

Grandmaster
So does the scripts many people use and a lot of these "legit" idocers use.
Idocing is one of those things that has so much damn potential but is just horded by the few. I think it would be cool to take it further eventually and make it so if theres a butler with a certain amount of loot on it when the house falls a boss or special champ spawn or RDA pops up with ALL that butlers loot inside the mobs. It would bring tons of pvmers to idocs, which would bring pks which would bring pvpers i would think.

Just thinking out loud on that one though, we are open to any sweet suggestions that are reasonable on this system and that aren't directed to benefit just a few people on the server.

Exact same logic can be applied to RDA's. One guild, Werkt, uses automated scripting to find nearly all RDA's. There are tons of players that would benefit from an RDA vendor.

lummox

Master
Well if there are no pvms in my scenario, we will have a lot of haunted houses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lummox

Master
We all have to understand that we do not understand the new dynamics with kingdoms and whether current systems will drastically change or not.

Derwolf

Grandmaster
I don't know why staff feels they have to drastically change core game mechanics. What makes uo cool is the different ways you can make gold, crafting, rare hunting, idocing, pvm, pking, buy/sell, etc. First rare hunters and now idocers, why turn core game mechanics that offered players alternative ways incomes and turn them into a blown tram fest? rares now drop on mobs, champ spawns and rdas at idocs? da fuq

Nidhoggur

Expert
Shane, you seem to say, in the same post that only 5-10 people, based on this thread, seem upset by the changes. Then you go on to say that it's the admin job to see past that and realize that the content of one thread ≠ general opinion.

I completely agree that one thread does not consensus make, however you can be certain that far more people are uninterested in these changes than just the 5-10 that have been vocal here. Many simply shrug it off and while they may comment in game or in private coms they don't comment here.

That being said, I sincerely mean it when I say that what you have built here is fantastic, and while I'm still struggling to see exactly how these changes help the little guy (if, ostensibly, the driving purpose is to prevent the domination of idocs by one group) I'm willing to adapt and take it as it comes.

In short (brevity clearly not being my strong suit, heh), while I understand that the goal is improvement, and that's much appreciated, would you be willing to explain the thought process behind these specific changes with regards to how they are expected to help? Individuals and groups, large and small, already had the ability to find these houses without the npc, they just had to look.

lummox

Master
If you want core mechanics, might as well turn off all the scripting, afk skill gain, rdas, all the cool things unique to uof... Let's make uo great again by resisting change because change changes things. The cool thing about change is you can always change it back... For the most part and also the gods of change like to see what actually happens apart from all the speculation.

Can we PLEASE stop making PVM chars do PVP? This is every solution I see here to every problem and it solves absolutely nothing except create more frustration! The shard doesn't have nearly enough population to work these ideas. There just aren't guilds big enough to have a dedicated PVM group AND a PVP group to protect them at any given time. I mean if not 75% of the shard was in EQMS then maybe I guess but since this will never happen all this "forcing PVM chars into PVP situations" is just killing it!

No. PvMers are just PvPers that don't know it yet. The only place that is not the case is in trammel.

No. PvMers are just PvPers that don't know it yet. The only place that is not the case is in trammel.

I'm talking about forcing people with PVM builds into fighting against people with PVP builds. Also it just doesn't go into your head that there are valid play styles of all kinds in this game. If some people like to PVM they are not "PvPers that don't know it yet.".

I'm talking about forcing people with PVM builds into fighting against people with PVP builds. Also it just doesn't go into your head that there are valid play styles of all kinds in this game. If some people like to PVM they are not "PvPers that don't know it yet.".
PvM builds are not helpless against PvP built characters, its only the players ability/want to defend themselves. If they CHOOSE to not defend themselves, that is as much of a CHOICE as CHOOSING to defend themselves. Neither is a play style, both are choices. Its only a play style when you cannot be forced to do otherwise.

I get some people don't like PVP, but I also get that its inevitable on a felucca ruleset shard.

PvM builds are not helpless against PvP built characters

I've played with enough experienced players to know that this is not true. PVM builds are hilariously weaker than PVP builds and don't stand a chance. If what you said was true the shard wouldn't be having these issues atm. The whole debate about PVP on this shard in the past months was basically that guilds need dedicated PVP groups to defend their PVM chars from PVP attacks.

MZ3K

Grandmaster
If it gives out like 1 in 10 IDOCs or 1 in 5 - then cool. But otherwise this will effectively eliminate a UO career (the IDOC hunter) from the game. Tragic.

MZ3K

Grandmaster
I've played with enough experienced players to know that this is not true. PVM builds are hilariously weaker than PVP builds and don't stand a chance. If what you said was true the shard wouldn't be having these issues atm. The whole debate about PVP on this shard in the past months was basically that guilds need dedicated PVP groups to defend their PVM chars from PVP attacks.

Having to login on a different toon to defend yourself is lame.

They need to do three things to fix this.
  • Make the PvM combat skills (arms lore and spirit speak) applicable to PvP.
  • Make pots do more damage against mobs so its worth having them on a PvM toon.
  • Make provo less OP so that other skills become more profitable relative to it.

How weak your PVM build is for PvP is completely up to you the player. It can be hilariously weak if you make it so, but it doesn't have to be. I think what you are confusing is the willingness of people to PvP when on PvM characters. In my experience, UOF is different than the other shards i've played on because somehow the staff has figured out how to get players who have never played UO, play here. They are used to consensual pvp games. We also have a large population that played on trammel servers - they have little to no knowledge of how to pvp and choose to pvm only. Fellucca ruleset doesn't really cater to those types of folk, so hence we have complaints of "having to pvp".

They need to do three things to fix this.
  • Make the PvM combat skills (arms lore and spirit speak) applicable to PvP. No. Don't fuck with PvP mechanics.
  • Make pots do more damage against mobs so its worth having them on a PvM toon. I can see this.
  • Make provo less OP so that other skills become more profitable relative to it. So other skills are already more profitable, they are just not as EZ mode - Same reason people have tamers. Players are lazy, I know I am.
You related to @Engelschmitt ?

drasked

Grandmaster

You are too lazy to keep a second account open with PVP char, ready to go... so you want to actually change game mechanics to better suit your laziness?

Nidhoggur

Expert
slammers.jpg

You are too lazy to keep a second account open with PVP char, ready to go... so you want to actually change game mechanics to better suit your laziness?

I've prepared your remaining slammers, Sir.

MZ3K

Grandmaster
@GoD PaRtiCal

Your first comment was "don't fuck with PvP ruleset". The rule set has always been, and continues to be, 'fucked with'. Defensive wrestling, buffed up scribe-reflect, are just some of the differences unique to UO:F. More recently, spell cast times, weapon damage, and armor ratings have been 'fucked with'.

The fact of the matter is that there is no delicate balance among templates in UO. It's just not that sophisticated. The continued existence of multiple templates is proof of this. No change has ever made one template so dominate that it becomes the only one worth having.

PvM only skills divorce PvP from PvM and make UO like two games occurring in one world. One of the big reasons to play UO over any other MMO is how well PvP and PvM co-exist and interact. Separating them with the addition of PvM only skills weakens that reason to play the game.

Additionally, one of the goals of UO:F is to elicit nostalgia by providing game-play similar to the game play of UO:R. Back then, unless you played a bard, there was no reason to switch from PvM toons to PvP toons. You fought mobs with your character, and if a red came, you fought that red with your character. This character switching significantly dampens the nostalgia that playing UO:F elicits.

(No; I don't know who @Engelschmitt is.)

Last edited by a moderator:

drasked

Grandmaster
@GoD PaRtiCal

Your first comment was "don't fuck with PvP ruleset". The rule set has always been, and continues to be, 'fucked with'. Defensive wrestling, buffed up scribe-reflect, are just some of the differences unique to UO:F. More recently, spell cast times, weapon damage, and armor ratings have been 'fucked with'.

The fact of the matter is that there is no delicate balance among templates in UO. It's just not that sophisticated. The continued existence of multiple templates is proof of this. No change has ever made one template so dominate that it becomes the only one worth having.

PvM only skills divorce PvP from PvM and make UO like two games occurring in one world. One of the big reasons to play UO over any other MMO is how well PvP and PvM co-exist and interact. Separating them with the addition of PvM only skills weakens that reason to play the game.

Additionally, one of the goals of UO:F is to elicit nostalgia by providing game-play similar to the game play of UO:R. Back then, unless you played a bard, there was no reason to switch from PvM toons to PvP toons. You fought mobs with your character, and if a red came, you fought that red with your character. This character switching significantly dampens the nostalgia that playing UO:F elicits.

(No; I don't know who @Engelschmitt is.)

You are fully able to fight back on your PVM template and be as successful as you intended your template to be. If you strip away any advantage you would have in a PVP scenario in favor of improving your PVM capabilities you are going to have a bad time in PVP, this seems pretty obvious.

You are fully able to fight back on your PVM template and be as successful as you intended your template to be. If you strip away any advantage you would have in a PVP scenario in favor of improving your PVM capabilities you are going to have a bad time in PVP, this seems pretty obvious.

How weak your PVM build is for PvP is completely up to you the player. It can be hilariously weak if you make it so, but it doesn't have to be

You are basicly saying: "Make your PVM template into a PVP template if you don't want to be killed". Completely missing the point. Completely ignoring that both PVP and PVM are valid play styles. Completely ignoring that this shard has a ton of players who enjoy PVM and thus have PVM templates.

You said that you can fight versus a PVP template with a PVM template. I said that wasn't true. Your answer was that it's possible if you turn your PVM template into a PVP template - see what you did there?

Basic "only PVP is a valid play style, everyone needs to have PVP chars" crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.