Mage PvP Needs Diversity

Winstonian

Grandmaster
Random work thoughts.

Right now, the status if mage PvP here is pretty simple: if you don't have stun, you're at a disadvantage. I, personally, think that stun is a crutch, and that more abilities should be adjusted to be made relevant in mage PvP.

Parrying - with GM parry and meditation, one can cast while holding a shield. (It used to be possible to cast while holding a shield.) While casting a spell, the parry chance is reduced.

- This would make parry an attractive ability.

Arms Lore - the disarm duration with wrestling disarm is increased to 5 seconds.

- This would make wrestling disarm valid against both dexers and parry mages.

Poisoning - deadly poison has a 5 second tick and can only be cured by bandages (GM heal and anat) or magery.

- Not only would this make poisoning a legitimate skill, but it would lessen the dependency on cure pots. Mages would have to actually cast, heal and cure strategically. (Poisoning used to be more effective.)

List of legitimate secondary abilities for mages (after these adjustments):
- Alchemy
- Anatomy (stun)
- Arms Lore (disarm)
- Healing
- Poisoning

It would be awesome to see an influx of new builds to the fold, and not the typical "stun punch/throw pots" that "leet PvPers" use to dominate the scene right now. Furthermore, both poisoning and parrying used to have these characteristics in the past.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

K A Z

Grandmaster
Random work thoughts.

Right now, the status if mage PvP here is pretty simple: if you don't have stun, you're at a disadvantage. I, personally, think that stun is a crutch, and that more abilities should be adjusted to be made relevant in mage PvP.

Parrying - with GM parry and meditation, one can cast while holding a shield. (It used to be possible to cast while holding a shield.) While casting a spell, the parry chance is reduced.

- This would make parry an attractive ability.

Arms Lore - the disarm duration with wrestling disarm is increased to 5 seconds.

- This would make wrestling disarm valid against both dexers and parry mages.

Poisoning - deadly poison has a 5 second tick and can only be cured by bandages (GM heal and anat) or magery.

- Not only would this make poisoning a legitimate skill, but it would lessen the dependency on cure pots. Mages would have to actually cast, heal and cure strategically. (Poisoning used to be more effective.)

List of legitimate secondary abilities for mages (after these adjustments):
- Alchemy
- Anatomy (stun)
- Arms Lore (disarm)
- Healing
- Poisoning

It would be awesome to see an influx of new builds to the fold, and not the typical "stun punch/throw pots" that "leet PvPers" use to dominate the scene right now. Furthermore, both poisoning and parrying used to have these characteristics in the past.

"It used to be possible to cast while holding a shield." --> Wrong. That stuff is called spell channeling. It only came into UO with AOS. I think that there was a bug with Order and Chaos Shields at one point which made them Spell Channeling. I couldn't give less of a fuck about this suggestion but it would make Mages superior to dexxers even in 1v1 I guess.

Not going to change anything to Dexxers besides making it easier for thieves to steal their weapons / other dexxers to eat their arses.

Worst idea ever. Ever thought about what this would do to group combat ? Really horrible idea. Was outruled before aswell.

---> If you don't like Stun then this era isn't for you. It's a key aspect to UOR PVP. Your changes won't actually help anyways. Stun is NEEDED on a Shard without mount fatigue to kill ANYONE. Just because a Parrymage wouldn't die to a dexxer as easy anymore doesnt mean he could also kill him.
Skills like Poisoning are, unfortunately, in a World where everyone insta-pots not really viable on a Mage anymore. ANY changes to it would unfortunately make it OP aswell. There are only SOME things that could be adjusted to it without fucking up the whole PVP system of this Shard.

Winstonian

Grandmaster
Wrong. Parry mages existed long before AOS, UOR and T2A. I guess you don't know about that era, so don't pretend that you do.

Dexers are going to add wrestling and arms lore to their builds, just to disarm?! Great. That leaves them without a bunch of other abilities, and would be nullified by parrying.

Poisoning would "ruin group PvP" by forcing other players to *gasp* cast the cure spell?! Yeah, that's how it should be, and used to be. The dependency on alchemy is pathetic.

The fact that you think stun is needed shows how trash you are, and how pathetic this era of PvP is. Mage PvP in UO used to be based on strategy and timing, not "precast, stun, dump". That's what you guys rely on (that, and pots), and it's sad. Landing a stun and dumping isn't "good".

K A Z

Grandmaster
Wrong. Parry mages existed long before AOS, UOR and T2A. I guess you don't know about that era, so don't pretend that you do.

Dexers are going to add wrestling and arms lore to their builds, just to disarm?! Great. That leaves them without a bunch of other abilities, and would be nullified by parrying.

Poisoning would "ruin group PvP" by forcing other players to *gasp* cast the cure spell?! Yeah, that's how it should be, and used to be. The dependency on alchemy is pathetic.

The fact that you think stun is needed shows how trash you are, and how pathetic this era of PvP is. Mage PvP in UO used to be based on strategy and timing, not "precast, stun, dump". That's what you guys rely on (that, and pots), and it's sad. Landing a stun and dumping isn't "good".

I'm so tired of you. Why don't you try to PVP and then come back? I'm pathetic? How comes i never go below 3rd place in ANY Tournament on this Shard ? Comeon dude, just fuck off. This era obviously isn't for you. If you don't like group PVP at all (and I dont think you would enjoy T2A group pvp either) you should think about playing Ultima 9 or something like that. I'm not going to even respond to you from now on since ALL your arguments are worthless and shit and built on your self-convincment on being any good at PVP and this game in general. I've YET to see you fight on this Shard.

Ever wondered why this Shard is still alive 1 year through?

Yep. It's because noone ever listened to guys like you. Believe me, I've seen your kinds come and go. It's just a few more weeks until I can finally read these boards again without having to smoke a cig afterwards.

Winstonian

Grandmaster
I'm so tired of you. Why don't you try to PVP and then come back? I'm pathetic? How comes i never go below 3rd place in ANY Tournament on this Shard ? Comeon dude, just fuck off. This era obviously isn't for you. If you don't like group PVP at all (and I dont think you would enjoy T2A group pvp either) you should think about playing Ultima 9 or something like that. I'm not going to even respond to you from now on since ALL your arguments are worthless and shit and built on your self-convincment on being any good at PVP and this game in general. I've YET to see you fight on this Shard.

Ever wondered why this Shard is still alive 1 year through?

Yep. It's because noone ever listened to guys like you. Believe me, I've seen your kinds come and go. It's just a few more weeks until I can finally read these boards again without having to smoke a cig afterwards.
You know what? Instead of taking this approach, I'll try something else. KAZ: do you think that mage PvP here needs to be changed or improved?

K A Z

Grandmaster
You know what? Instead of taking this approach, I'll try something else. KAZ: do you think that mage PvP here needs to be changed or improved?

Spell damage could be overall reworked but that's it. It's really good as it stands right now. Unfortunately, we cannot make this game anything else than it is.

Winstonian

Grandmaster
Spell damage could be overall reworked but that's it. It's really good as it stands right now. Unfortunately, we cannot make this game anything else than it is.
You really think mage PvP is good as it is, and shouldn't be improved. You also think that stun is a necessity for each mage build. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here, as I think the necessity of stun is a terrible mechanic for this shard.

Secondly, if you think we can't improve this game, why are you pushing for stat loss to be altered? Do you think PvP in general is fine the way it is?

Fenix

Journeyman
Lol you two are oil and water

I do not like your proposed changes, for (roughly) the same reasons as kaz :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K A Z

Grandmaster
You really think mage PvP is good as it is, and shouldn't be improved. You also think that stun is a necessity for each mage build. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here, as I think the necessity of stun is a terrible mechanic for this shard.

Secondly, if you think we can't improve this game, why are you pushing for stat loss to be altered? Do you think PvP in general is fine the way it is?

We're running in circles here. Again: If you hate Stun then an UOR Shard is not the right place for you to be. It is the KEY ASPECT of this Era, and yes: if you want to be succesful in this era you'll need stun. I DON'T say that you can't kill people with a Tankmage aswell BUT stun is necessary to make it to the top 10 or even 15 when it comes to PVP on an UOR Shard.

I'm not actually PUSHING for it. I'm saying that as this Shard stands right now there is no place for it. Atleast not outside Dungeons. Never have I made a Thread that called out for removing statloss nor would I ever make such a Thread.

PVP is fine as it is when it comes to the MECHANICS - not so when it comes to the mindset of the players.

K A Z

Grandmaster
The only thing I dislike so far, is that if you have recall precast, you can be stun punched and not recall out.

That shouldn't be the case actually. I'll try it out later and let you know if you're possibly doing something wrong. So far I've never had a problem with targeting my runebook when Stunned. (Infact I never had a problem targeting anything / anyone when stunned..)

Are you maybe using a full-automated recall macro ? Could well be that it somehow fucks up once you're stunned.. mmm..

Poon Doctor

Master
That shouldn't be the case actually. I'll try it out later and let you know if you're possibly doing something wrong. So far I've never had a problem with targeting my runebook when Stunned. (Infact I never had a problem targeting anything / anyone when stunned..)

Are you maybe using a full-automated recall macro ? Could well be that it somehow fucks up once you're stunned.. mmm..

The macro was it. Just tested it, and if I manually do it, it works fine.

So disregard

Winstonian

Grandmaster
Well, I play here because it's clearly the best shard out there, not because I agree with the mechanics. I think the dependency on stun is ridiculous, and dilutes a class that used to take skill to play. Being a dominant mage used to be difficult. Now it's based on stun and little more.

If you're against mage diversity, and need stun to kill people, I expect you to hate every suggestion made towards changing that. It's just a shame that that's what PvP has become.

K A Z

Grandmaster
Well, I play here because it's clearly the best shard out there, not because I agree with the mechanics. I think the dependency on stun is ridiculous, and dilutes a class that used to take skill to play. Being a dominant mage used to be difficult. Now it's based on stun and little more.

If you're against mage diversity, and need stun to kill people, I expect you to hate every suggestion made towards changing that. It's just a shame that that's what PvP has become.

What you seem to not get is that it's not "what PVP has become" but rather what UOR is. What class used to take skill in your oppinion? And why do Mages not take Skill anymore now? You ever tried to play a sucessful Alchymage? Tried to fit explosion potions into your combos? Tried to kill Alchydexxers on a Mage? You can do it, it just takes SKILL.

If you, however, really can't enjoy Stun I would suggest to go to the duelpits and have 5x mage fights. Here you use nothing but pure Magery.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kairus

Adept
nice suggestions but here is the problem

-Mage is already overpowered as it is atm. adding those abilities would only make it stronger...

-ur suggestions can be added if STUN IS COMPLETELY REMOVED. from the game.i am really bored of stun>dump with pot combo mages also, everyone are slowly turning into stun mages too, u get in stun and dumped and die.. especially in like 1v4 situations, u get stunned once and ur dead. its killing the pvp in server. to compensate with stun removal, mage spells can do more damage i guess...

* i also remember an era which stun didnt exist, there were parry mages. and there was long cooldown on cure potions, making poisoning on mages useful. was like best era.(maybe it was just a very old private server :p)

Last edited by a moderator:

Gore

Adept
Changing poisoning would just turn every Mage into a poison Mage. It's game breaking. Stun is the only thing that makes field pvp viable on this server( unless you want to just double click someone on a dexxer and follow them with explo pots), if you didn't have stun people would just run for days until they made it to their house. There are lots of ways to counter stun mages. Cast invis on the person who is stunned, disrupt the mages dumping, or god forbid you have to actually hit a good heal.

It's threads like these that make me sick. People who don't actually pvp that suggest game breaking changes.

If you think you're actually good at pure Mage pvp than prove it to me in a 5x duel or just stop posting.

Struan

Expert
I would think that you should die in almost any 1x4 situations....unless you're out killing crafters.

If the tick rate on higher poisons was increased a little, would that still make nox mages OP?or make them a viable build?

Lexington

Grandmaster
I would think that you should die in almost any 1x4 situations....unless you're out killing crafters.

If the tick rate on higher poisons was increased a little, would that still make nox mages OP?or make them a viable build?

A slight tick rate increase to the lower poisons is all the NOX mage needs to be viable, no need to adjust the higher poisons as that would cause too much crying.

Wyte

Neophyte
I don't see a problem with the way it is now, this rule set for pvp seems to be the best I have played on in awhile