mob aggro vs red players

K A Z

Grandmaster
i think the best way would be to add trammel as that is where we are heading anyways! UOF should definitely stop pretending that it is anywhere close to UOR. This Servers ruleset is now a garbo version of AOS with all the recent (and over the years) changes. Sad!

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
Once again. That isn't UO to me and many many others. You all wanna use sallos, and scripts, and all that shit then enjoy your small population of dedicated PvPrs.

What is UO to you? Its like saying... using these clubs is golf to me:

cat151_9.jpg

You are free to use whatever client you want... but dont complain when you intentionally gimp yourself by not using what others use.

I think your big issue is the learning curve involved in getting into 2017 PVP... your best bet there is to join a guild willing to recruit and teach people how PVP is done these days.

Sephid

Master
What is UO to you? Its like saying... using these clubs is golf to me:

You are free to use whatever client you want... but dont complain when you intentionally gimp yourself by not using what others use.

I think your big issue is the learning curve involved in getting into 2017 PVP... your best bet there is to join a guild willing to recruit and teach people how PVP is done these days.

Hey man i dont have a problem lol. Im not crying cause i wish there was more people willing to PvP. It would also seem im not the only one that has this view otherwise there would be a fuck load more PvP goins on. Its like your saying well everyone in Call of duty is using aimbot and speed hack so you should use them to! Adapt!.

Umm no... how about i just quit cause i dont find cheating a challenge nor do i find it fun. Maybe back when i was like 12. Ill stick to PvM and the odd PvP fight with others like myself down here on the lowly level of pure UO.

Also you are very correct the learning curve involved in getting into 2017 PVP is why no one wants to play with you guys lol

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
Also you are very correct the learning curve involved in getting into 2017 PVP is why no one wants to play with you guys lol

I agree... it is sad that EQMS is the only guild that actively recruits and trains people on how to PVP in 2017... its probably why we consistenly can field the most PVPers... we turn newbs like you into musketmen.

Ive always advocated for PVP to be less based on scripts and more based on getting together with your friends and killing people in an easy way.

Tard the Paladin

Grandmaster
Just a sec, lemme grab my soap box over here and *ahem*.

My basic point is that reds aren't the primary reason that old players quit and young players don't stick around. In discord there's been several blues that seem confused when the whole "PK problem" is discussed because they rarely see reds when they farm for hours. There's really only a handful of farming locations that even see reds.

Perhaps the problem lies elsewhere. Could mind numbing mechanics make veterans grow bored? Meta pets and talismans have basically enabled god mode for pvm'ers that fight 20 year old mob AI. I recently discovered that I could in fact solo Akor on Tard. I could also do the entire cove champ single handedly. Boring.

I remember three years ago when I joined the shard there were no meta pets or talisman. Champs used to get popped every four hours and it would bring out the whole shard. Champs were truly server wide events. Power would try to raid occasionally and it would be exciting to try to fend them off or at least escape with your power scroll. However, meta pets and talisman made it so that champs could be done with a few players. Now during off peak hours you can basically pop any champ you want that doesn't spawn MOTM creatures.

The end game for veteran pvm'ers these days is centered around RDA's which from a game mechanics perspective is obviously the very worst system you could implement for end game content in an MMO. Why is it obviously the very worst system for end game content in an MMO? RDA's are only available every few hours, they are completed by a tiny number of players (or solo even) within minutes, finding them is usually scripted so big groups get most of them thereby excluding nearly the entire population, and they provide little challenge for the veterans that do find them. RDA's are a non-challenging system, available to few players, completed in far too short a time, by too few players, and provide enough reward that many veterans don't bother with much else. The very best you could say is that this is not ideal.

So that's the state of end game content. Now let's consider what a new player that is fresh to the shard might feel upon entering UOF. They might wonder why they can't even place a decent sized house considering there aren't many people running around. They might also wonder how long it would take to acquire a 120 taming, relics, etc and then how long it would take to grind them. Basically, its not hard to imagine that they might feel like they've missed the boat. The sense of nostalgia that a renaissance rule set hopes to provide is certainly nonexistent for new players when they see the whole shard running around on god mode characters. I imagine a new player might take one look around and realize that if they grind non-stop for months they might hope to achieve god mode status and play in a completely non-challenging game play system. Meh. People make fun of the pokemon stuff but that's not fair. In pokemon players actually fight each other and there's an actual challenge. This has devolved into candy crush clickfest mechanics.

The mob aggro thing isn't even that big of a change and it only affects solo pks which were barely existent anyway. But the constant threats of perma stat and whatnot has loomed over the shard for a long time. Having played here three years it just seems like that's not really the issue. But players get killed by reds and get pissy which is understandable but nerfing reds is really just going to eliminate the last element of risk in the game.

Last edited:

Strigo

Expert
I'm a solo or duo pk. I think these changes hurt solo pks the most and do little against group pks. Generally I have to two shot the tamer, or else I have to offscreen and heal, which lets the tamer recall out. Capable tamers are quite difficult to solo pk due to their pets ability to one shot you. As a dexxer, it's even more likely to be oneshot due to a QS proc'd by a mob. If the mob aggros the red as well, I think it would be INCREDIBLY difficult for a pvp build red dexxer to kill a pvm build tamer.

Maybe I view the pk game differently from others. I think a pvp build should beat a pvm build in a fair fight. A pvm build should be trying to escape from a pvp build, not winning in a fight unless there is a difference in skill or numbers.

zorgulg

Journeyman
Last time they briefly put this in it was really questionable. Mobs that we're agrro'd onto players or pets would change targets as well as Provoked mobs I believe. My biggest dislike about it though is that it is such a big change that we'll have to go about things completely differently and have to stand a round a lot waiting on certain mobs to die. I guess we get the chance at more loot but still it's a huge change.

Leesin

Neophyte
This seems like a stupid change to me, because it is solo PKs who are punished by this mostly, it's just going to encourage AND in turn benefit the red zergs. I don't even have a PK, but I haven't been PKed either, why? because when I am solo farming I am farming in less popular locations and I always am ready to escape, keep reflect up, keep your pouches ready, keep that recall macro ready.

You can't expect to sit solo on a massively lucrative gold farm and not risk getting PKd, in fact you should indeed be at more risk than a guy like me who is farming lesser mobs. So when the solo reds start joining zergs what will you do next? mob aggro isn't going to bother a zerg.

Mordraer

Novice
I too am fervently against this change.

It really brings the game further away from the core gameplay mechanics that make this game fun. The more you water down the risk factor of farming, the less fun the game is. Solo reds are a very low portion of the population, and most decently capable players can escape death from them. As Gluttony pointed out, it is not that difficult to simply hit recall when you see a red name pop onto your screen. Tard also made a lot of good points. This game is appealing because when you're out there killing dragons, you are always at risk. Ultima is different than every other game for that simple reason. I am fully against this change and on top of that, it seems to single out solo reds and I think that solo reds have always been one of the most important aspects of the game to keep everyone on their toes.

If indeed solo reds are a problem, then make the penalties harsher. Extend the hour per kill on the statloss. Make the criminal timer longer. It seems silly to just have all mobs auto-target reds so that blues can casually just recall out and never worry about learning how to actually play the game and learn survivability* (see below). The argument of "this or perma statloss" is what killed Ultima eons ago and made the game a carebear land of boredom.

/endrant

* In regards to survivability, a quick note from someone who has ten reds: Are you tired of dying to solo reds? Do these simple few things and you will probably not die any longer. When you see a red, recall immediately. If it is interrupted for whatever reason and you must fend for your life, start bandaging. Drink a gheal pot. As soon as bandage is done, start another. As soon as gheal pot timer is up, drink another. Make sure your pathing is smart and efficient. Chug refresh pots as you run through spawn. You do not need much of a distance to get off a recall. Anytime you go through stairs or a teleporter to another level, that's your best chance. Be smart. Dying to a solo red in the hands of a capable player is something that should happen far less than 50% of the time. My pvm blue meta dexxer runs around with 8AR and I am level 7 berzerker. Know how many times I've died farming endless mobs to level that up? Zero. Yes, that's right. Zero. Why? Because I run away, bandage, drink pots, and I recall when I have the space to do so.

Zog'orium

Grandmaster
It does seem a bit silly that a ogre lord will stop fighting a meta pet that has been kicking the crap out of it to auto target a red hued fellow that happened into the room.

Maxwell

Neophyte
This change makes zero sense to me. Since when are solo reds a big issue anyway? Gotta agree with Kaz, Tard, and Mord on this one. Bad change for the game mechanics for sure.

Bobby123

Grandmaster
I notice that most of the tears in this thread are from groups who claim to be PVPers but never faction and just want to play the game to kill bards and tamers. As I said before, aside from the koreans and EQMS, no one on this server looks for consensual PVP. Make consensual PVP more attractive and you might get groups like POWER, $, and werkt out of the dungeons PKing and into the field fighting people actually looking for a fight.
p.s.
bring on perma stat please

ztLQ3NH.png

@GluttonySDS can deny he want but we all know the only reason glutt is promoting perma stat now because hes planning to quit UOF and intend to destroy the server pvp scene before he leaves .

Also please take a look at the screenshot of the pvp discord chat , even tard and garillo claim they would quit if perma stat was introduced so why would glutts promote perma stat ??? Does glutts want all his guildmates to stop playing ????

So we have DodgeQMS pking 15+ deep EVERY SINGLE DAY in despise lvl 1 and now the GM of DodgeQMS is promoting perma stat ??? Am i the only one that finds it wierd ? Isnt it obvious what glutts intentions are ?

@GluttonySDS is an extremely selfish and toxic player to the UOF community !

One last thing @GluttonySDS , you are only smart enough to fool your minions but you cant fool the rest of us !

SHAME ON U DESpicable@GluttonySDS !!!

Last edited:

Darkarna

Grandmaster
Strangely, none of these changes would have taken place if folks playing on this community based server used a little common sense and recognised when enough was enough concerning the amount of times someone was killed. The easiest solution would have been to just limit the amount of third party assist programs / clients, take a hit with the drop of players for a while and steadily implement a better structure regarding the whole PVP scene which catered for all PVP orientated and none orientated PVP players.

These changes also reflect a rather serious concern regarding large scale warfare, since this will just push people to join larger guilds with the hope of better survival. If this is the vision of UOForever it will be interesting to see how it pans out.

ztLQ3NH.png

@GluttonySDS can deny he want but we all know the only reason glutt is promoting perma stat now because hes planning to quit UOF and intend to destroy the server pvp scene before he leaves .

Also please take a look at the screenshot of the pvp discord chat , even tard and garillo claim they would quit if perma stat was introduced so why would glutts promote perma stat ??? Does glutts want all his guildmates to stop playing ????

So we have DodgeQMS pking 15+ deep EVERY SINGLE DAY in despise lvl 1 and now the GM of DodgeQMS is promoting perma stat ??? Am i the only one that finds it wierd ? Isnt it obvious what glutts intentions are ?

@GluttonySDS is an extremely selfish and toxic player to the UOF community !

One last thing @GluttonySDS , you are only smart enough to fool your minions but you cant fool the rest of us !

SHAME ON U DESpicable@GluttonySDS !!!

If EQMS were to quit, then another guild would just jump into their shoes. The issue is that the very foundations of UOForever has been changed to cater for large scale warfare where these changes are implemented to try and curve mass dungeon assaults. EQMS quitting would most likely create more serious problems. If what you say is true then I can not see how things could improve. If anything, more should have been done at the beginning of the mass warfare era because now, if there is a mass exodus because of these changes then everyone *including those who take extended breaks* are going to suffer also.

It was predicted an age ago that these changes would come alive.

Last edited:

Naww

Apprentice
I'm not a pvp/pk pro, but i think perma statloss is waaaaay to harsh. If someone enjoys PKing blues, he should do it, it's part of the game, UO is the game which allows you to do what you want and how you want. Statloss is pretty decent punishment for death itself.

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
Perma stat loss would prob encourage even larger amounts of reds to group up before they go out pk'ing.

Id rather have perma stat than anything else... changing game mechanics changes the way the entire game is played. Perma stat would just make dying sting more.