Old Great Lakes Memories and Players on OSI

halygon

Grandmaster
I have a CD with some old pictures, nothing from really early on though. I started when UO:R came out. Here's a few

Taming a ton of dragons and using them to wreck champ spawns solo lol

Massive%20Dragons_zps7wyo48r7.png

Blood tile spawn! The one time I saw it out of the millions of times recalling there. Unfortunately the tile wasn't there ;/

bloodtilespawn_zpsz4y1tckn.png

GM ran chess match on LS, I stopped by even though I played on (AOL)Legends

LS%20Chess%20Match_zpsubnbxbwe.png

GM'ing resist the hard way

Trav%20GM%20resist_zpsy6xlqt3b.png

Before Publish 16, GM provoke was guaranteed success. Back then getting to GM voke took foreverrrrr so this was a huge letdown. My brother and I shared that bard character and it took us months of training on the top mobs. Needless to say, I was pretty pissed lol

PrePub16Morph_zpsv1srjmeo.png

Twas a nice trip down memory lane :cool:
Great pics. I liked the multitude of dragons tamed together. That was when there wasn't control slots - so many creative ways to use this...,

Grant

Apprentice
I Played on Grate Lakes form 97-99 My best memory's are.
-Spinning up a Guild called Wolf Pack with some friends.
-Fighting SiN at every opportunity after they broke into my house and looted it clean ( this is before Lockdowns)
-Owning Ho Chi Min and his little buddy lothar every time we ran into each other.
-fighting in the bone knight room and watching (Dracul guild show up and Blue PK like 20 people)
-Joining EWK and all the Guild War battles at East brit bank.

My 2 toons back then were Grant and Weasel

Good times!!

halygon

Grandmaster
I Played on Grate Lakes form 97-99 My best memory's are.
-Spinning up a Guild called Wolf Pack with some friends.
-Fighting SiN at every opportunity after they broke into my house and looted it clean ( this is before Lockdowns)
-Owning Ho Chi Min and his little buddy lothar every time we ran into each other.
-fighting in the bone knight room and watching (Dracul guild show up and Blue PK like 20 people)
-Joining EWK and all the Guild War battles at East brit bank.

My 2 toons back then were Grant and Weasel

Good times!!
Ah.. The deceit bone wall.. Good memories.

Mercedies

Grandmaster
My brother and I played on LS. Do you remember any of the following names:
Drifter
Mappy
Altec
Poopydiapers

??
I played on LS from 99 to 07 (with a stint on ATL from 02-05 to fight HAX). I remember Mappy from the ultima online's finest forums. Can't remember what guild he was in though :/
Maybe ReV?

Last edited by a moderator:

RAVE GL

Master
Oh Great Lakes....

Best memories...
Being able to run faster than anyone else for some strange reason..
Sparring with my buddies and always sh*t talking each others skill
The few guilds I ran, most notabely WP with my buddy Grant Co-GMing with me
Battle in YEW with warring party.. where I was alone against 4, and by some fluke of circumstance, when I said "I have friends", 2 guildies showed up, "I have lots of friends", 2 more showed up, and we destroyed them.
The GM that showed up to marry me to Lyndsay for which we showed up late because of all days for a stealther to get into my house, it had to be on our way out the door!
Watching macros... whos whole purpose was to operate without human intervention yet.. just sitting there.. watching it. mesmerized.
The coffee and pizza with RL friends for hours talking about UO.

and,
Being relatively undefeatable against any number of foes so long as Grant and RAVE were grouped.

DreamWeaver

I personally miss Redstone never leaving his house and sitting there and some how getting kills still. Oh yeah and hearing " You can't handle the Big K" spammed all the time. Oh yew gate fighting// brit gate fighting was so much fun.

Coorhagen

Grandmaster
I played on Great Lakes with my brother back in 98,99 (before I quit for EverQuest). I was "ogre" and my brother was "Judas Cloud". I remember Kazola's Treetop Keg and Winery which was a role playing location that we constantly attacked.
I remember being in KoV (I think called Knights of the Void) and being at war with the SiN guild.

I don't think those times can ever be recreated though, I think in those days the internet was new to a lot of people and even the idea of being able to talk to someone on the other side of the world in a chat room was exciting. I think a lot of people were playing UO at that time because being able to play a game with hundreds of other people was something new and exciting.

Zoobler

Grandmaster
Destroying other dexxers due to having macing, learning how to gm parry with spirit blades, EZMACROS, order/chaos wars, and lastly the moral struggle of a young kid killing and looting someone (we were all new to the internet and uo once!)

SidX

Grandmaster
Everquest......

Rofl.
Not related to GL at all, but one of the most exciting memories of my childhood was going to GameStop to buy the Playstation 2 dial-up modem so I could play EQ: Online Adventures.. it was fun for about 3 minutes.

Mercedies

Grandmaster
I remember lol'ing at people who played Everquest. I guess I still do this lol

I mean, honestly, why would anyone waste their time with EQ when UO (at the time) was so freaking amazing.

Inconceivable.

Coorhagen

Grandmaster
I mean, honestly, why would anyone waste their time with EQ when UO (at the time) was so freaking amazing.

Inconceivable.

I'll tell you why. I was playing Ultima on the Great Lakes server back in early 99 when I went exploring with several people. We checked out the Star room and green acres and I marked runes in those places.
I later returned to green acres and was just running around when some dragon killed me. This was before the stuck feature that would teleport you to cities and so I had to page to get out of there.

The counselor/gm that came said "Oh one sec.................k i'm back, I just had to put a mark on your account." When I asked why, he told me that it was a well known rule that green acres was off limits to players. I looked at the rules both in the game manual and on the website and find nothing mentioning green acres and it basically pissed me off enough to quit for a while and try EverQuest.

I ended up giving my things to my brother and then I purposely got myself banned.
This was also the time when they had introduced the "noto patch" in an effort to reduce pking. Back in the Great Lord/Dread Lord days, pks were usually red but then the Devs decided that they would allow blues to PK a certain number of people each day and still be able to remain blue. It was a stupid idea and backfired so badly that they later added Trammel.

I did come back to UO after playing EverQuest but then I quit the official shards for good. I think AoS was what finally ended it.

Puritan/Bris

Ah the old days on Great Lakes running around with Ho Chi Minh and BTH. and get'em boy who plays on the server now. Some of the best times in Uo were the first few years. RIP OSI GL

who were you in BTH?
Ah the old days on Great Lakes running around with Ho Chi Minh and BTH. and get'em boy who plays on the server now. Some of the best times in Uo were the first few years. RIP OSI GL
were you in bth?

Puritan/Bris

I had a couple of characters on GL. Went by Gambit back then in 97/98. Hung out with Tree and Stump and really didn't do much more than stomping on new players as they tried to make the Death Run from Trinsic to Britian. XD

Started playing on Pacific as soon as it opened and then Sonoma. In 2001 I started playing Siege exclusively. Was in I^A and then VmP.

Back on topic, my best memories of GL were when there were really no griefing rules. Stealing people blind at WBB as well as dropping nox'd loaves of bread and fish steaks all over the place and racking up counts. Later Tree, Stump and I discovered how profitable Player Weddings could be. They'd kill, I'd steal, rinse and repeat. People were such sheep back then. Immediately assuming there was a glitch in the game when things went missing from their backpacks. ;)
Did you start a guild with Dekon and either Bris/pythia called DC then H^I? before teaming up with BTH?

Xielax

It's too bad this thread died.
I loved playing on GL circa 97-2003. I was never very good at pvp but still enjoyed guild wars. I cant recall the exact name of the guild I rolled with, i think it was KoV(Knights of Vesper) or something along those lines. I play(ed) as Xielax. Our GM was Memnoch. Other notables were Adar, Animal Monster, Geoffrey, Desiree (she still plays osi/ea to this day), Drunken Master, Kevin (my first and best UO friend). We warred with FS a few times, and we anhilated that orc guild so often they refused to war with us except on pre-planned occasions.

Kevin and I would spend hours a day tag teaming elder gazers and blood eles in Shame. I remember going after Efreets for demon bone armor. We made so much money off that shit. I wish I had screen shots of all the epic moments.