Pet skill loss is impossible to work with.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

aIck

Grandmaster
I still don't see the big deal. Do one champ, boom 6x GM again. Run through your farming runes once, boom 6x GM again.

Are you people intentionally killing your pets or something?

Jonny26

Master
What about.... An item from a dono vendor that allowed you to lock a particular skill of desired pet. ie you train resist up to 120 and buy an item that meant this was permanently locked at 120, regardless of how many times pet was killed. Maybe these items could be called something individually directed towards that skill eg totality of magic resistance. Also I think these would each have to be priced accordingly to how difficult the said skill is to raise. Maybe easy to train skills like anat starting at around 1 mil, resist being at around 5 mil or something. Maybe this would also give more end game content to the uber tamers while keeping more dono coins flowing into the system. Sure someone may be able to point out why this may be a bad idea but I don't see any downside to it.

Darkarna

Grandmaster
What about.... An item from a dono vendor that allowed you to lock a particular skill of desired pet. ie you train resist up to 120 and buy an item that meant this was permanently locked at 120, regardless of how many times pet was killed. Maybe these items could be called something individually directed towards that skill eg totality of magic resistance. Also I think these would each have to be priced accordingly to how difficult the said skill is to raise. Maybe easy to train skills like anat starting at around 1 mil, resist being at around 5 mil or something. Maybe this would also give more end game content to the uber tamers while keeping more dono coins flowing into the system. Sure someone may be able to point out why this may be a bad idea but I don't see any downside to it.

What about people just be glad they have meta-pets, relics, talismans and everything else which this server provides and stop complaining when they have to re-arrange their farming methods because they were unlucky, half-asleep or ganked heavy by a giant squad. Jesus, it will not matter WHAT is implemented regarding tamers, someone will obviously pick faults and come here puffing their chest out in protest.

You have a battle tank already, why are you asking for force-fields also?

If you want me to bite, I will, here goes :

Implement a standard resurrection charge per pet, the price scales with pet level. IF the pet dies more than three times in an hour, then the pet loses stats like it is now.. Not happy? Please go and chew on a stick of dynamite...

aIck

Grandmaster
Implement a standard resurrection charge per pet, the price scales with pet level. IF the pet dies more than three times in an hour, then the pet loses stats like it is now.. Not happy? Please go and chew on a stick of dynamite...
That sounds way too lax though

Dupster

Apprentice
Pets are massively over powered, risk vs reward.

OP is basically saying they want to be able to run through a dungeon and kill everything in seconds with zero risk.

Working as intended.

Bromista

Grandmaster
I'll start by apologizing if this is the wrong place for logic but. ..
It seems to me most people who think that pet skill gain and skill loss is fine also tend to argue that is makes very little difference having a pet with 70 magery or resist versus having a pet with gm skills (I tend to agree). Then why is it so important that such a heavy skill loss system be in place if it makes no difference?

I know the answer actually lies in pvp pets doing max damage with spells since the difference between 70 and gm is actually a lot (flamethrower instead of lightening).

Now where things get really silly is that if the issue is we don't want pets to be involved in pvp without consequences so we have heavy skill loss but we also have a no skill loss option available to only those who ate involved in pet pvp.

At the end of the day I personally don't care if my pet dies I use them I fight big stuff that is challenging I get pk'd stuff happens. It just seems that the current systems in place don't actually have the desired results. Pvm pets loss skills and farm a fraction slower or get hit a fraction harder by magic but overall only really effects the people who fell they "need" a completed pet. Where pvp pets which bendy greatly from gm skills in magery can actually just but out of it.

Since u went ahead and wrote this much I guess I should actually offer a solution as well. Flip it. 5k to res non faction non red pets and if in a faction you take skill loss.
This would result in people having to leave their Rda champ etc to res or take a hit to skills and would make 7x pets a high value for pvp. You also get risk reward balance in skill gain for factions versus dieing while in factions.

Once again sorry about the logic.
Fucking dickhead with your logic and sensible solutions.

I have avoided this discussion because it has been beaten to death and share many if the same sentiments that you do. I use my pets, they die often, yet I persist. Life goes on.

However I could no longer avoid the discussion when someone puts forth a suggestion such as yours. It's too good and makes too much sense not to implement. So, let's implement it!

The whole pets in PvP thing and the systems in place to curb it are 100% backwards and a joke tbh.

Last edited by a moderator:

MZ3K

Grandmaster
I am open to advice on getting the skills up if any one has it!

You've probably thought of all these, but here's what has helped me:

- Provo only in case of emergency.
- Hunt stuff that flame strikes often.
- If pet #1 needs skills more than pet #2, then set #1 to guard you and #2 to follow. Attack the mob to sic #1 on it; once #1 has the aggro, use '#2 kill' to sic the other one on it.
- I find it helpful to watch how much magic and resist your pets typically gain between deaths. I use the info from that to decide whether to use SS and to see how well I'm doing in training them back up.

MZ3K

Grandmaster
I like the skill loss - it makes the game more exciting. I don't like how difficult it is to get back to where you were. But if skills are too easy to gain back, there may as well be no skill loss. So It might be better if both, the skill deduction, and the skill gain rate, were greater. That way, you take a more severe hit to performance but it doesn't last as long.

Last edited by a moderator:

Owain Green

Journeyman
Umm yes it does... why give pets skills if they do nothing exactly? and resist does matter its called taking less dmg? same goes with wrestling a dragon with 0 wrestling will do fuck all dmg compared to 100 so stand there saying skills do fuck all and For someone in the original post to fucking say US PVMers then the pvpers come in here way to derail a decent thread... I know exactly where she is coming form resist and Magery SS's are far too exspensive to just pop a few on every death The enitre point of skills is to benefit yourself and pet if they dont work then remove them... and i myself am a tamer on my main i dont even have a meta yet and i still burn through SS's on my WW and beetle... and i macro afk mana vampire on my pets get them to 90% and ohh look they dont die to casters like balrons and shit so easy... thats what skills do...

aIck

Grandmaster
Oh shit not this thread again.

Anyone who thinks that pet skill loss is too harsh or whines about it should just uninstall UO and start playing Hello Kitty Online.

Status
Not open for further replies.