The State of UOF (PKs and purple pots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkarna

Grandmaster
Good. Run Alchemy. Others would run Parrying to counter. The more Alchemy is used, the more common Parrying would be. With expl pots nullified by the shields, mages would either 1) start using other builds, or 2) not, and have a dead skill. I'm good with either.

'Build diversity' in mage PvP is minimal at best anyway. Parrying would add diversity to melee builds.

Of course, skills like Poisoning need to be buffed for mage PvP anyway. And, with stun being essential, players would either choose between stun/alch, stun/scribe or having healing in there. Options.

Beating a dead horse man.. Watch out for maggots..

shirtandpantsman

Grandmaster
make explo pots do splash damage again

people who don't want to fight with purple pots can be townies again, and people who want to use purp pots can go dungeon pk or whatever

Kael

Master
Tons of people feel the same way about purple pots. Only problem is most of them are not vocal about it on the forums and most people that will reply to this thread are the people that love the way purple pots work ....No offence

giphy.gif

I agree. Those that don't like the idea of purple pots know they will get flamed when this question gets raised every few months.

However, couldn't they just have a gump pop up when you first use your account. Have a few yes/no questions of UOF hot topics such a taming issues, bola's, wands and then post the results for transparency?

Woodsman

Expert
I agree. Those that don't like the idea of purple pots know they will get flamed when this question gets raised every few months.

However, couldn't they just have a gump pop up when you first use your account. Have a few yes/no questions of UOF hot topics such a taming issues, bola's, wands and then post the results for transparency?
that would be cool

Bromista

Grandmaster
Could we just get some fucking attrition or an actual cooldown that isn't laughable?

This way you can still pot people down with automated macros on the run - even if you are an overseas player with a shitty ping (which is most people who defend current pot mechanics, and don't anyone dare deny that)

Wanna kill someone in the least creative way possible? It should take a while to do it. If purple pot max damage dropped over time with each successive throw until it reached a suitable floor (say 50% damage) that would be just great. Longer cooldown would essentially serve same purpose, just requires less potions overall to be thrown on the money than if they did less damage.

I personally would prefer longer cooldown because that would better promote diversity...you know like spell weaving and tactfulness when running....but that's just me.

K A Z

Grandmaster
Could we just get some fucking attrition or an actual cooldown that isn't laughable?

This way you can still pot people down with automated macros on the run - even if you are an overseas player with a shitty ping (which is most people who defend current pot mechanics, and don't anyone dare deny that)

Wanna kill someone in the least creative way possible? It should take a while to do it. If purple pot max damage dropped over time with each successive throw until it reached a suitable floor (say 50% damage) that would be just great. Longer cooldown would essentially serve same purpose, just requires less potions overall to be thrown on the money than if they did less damage.

I personally would prefer longer cooldown because that would better promote diversity...you know like spell weaving and tactfulness when running....but that's just me.

that'd totally destroy PVP. If purple pots are so OP, how come I can fight others 1v1 for ayges and noone dies ? With both throwing 20 dmg potz every few seconds? I don't get why people think that they're OP, or "lame".

Xiulan

Master
I thought the parrying idea wasn't totally terrible, but... the sad fact is that purple pots should be left alone, because if they're touched it will set off a great wailing and gnashing of teeth about bandages and mini heal etc, and if those get nerfed it will drive away PvMers who make up the bulk of the playerbase, which will set off another round of reactive nerfing (LJ, maybe?) and on and on ad infinitum.

How about we declare a moratorium on all these "please nerf my enemies" campaigns and just call it good?

Winstonian

Grandmaster
How about we declare a moratorium on all these "please nerf my enemies" campaigns and just call it good?
I think a lot of players don't think it's good the way it is. Constant purple pot spam shouldn't be mandatory to be competitive in PvP.

But, that was the point of this thread. If a member of the staff said "purple pots are here to stay as they are, and the consequence for dying as a red will never be increased", I'll happily move on. No biggie. Just curious if those areas are finished products.

Bromista

Grandmaster
That's not the right mentality. Look at other mechanics/changes over time:

Spell damage increases
Casting delays reduced
Weapon damage tweaks

When is the last time purple pots were touched? Allowing them to be thrown while carrying a two-handed weapon like two years ago? Wonderful!

Yeah purple pots aren't getting a free pass. They need tweaked. Even with all those other adjustments players are still saying you can't kill anyone without alchemy, which is simply not true, but even if it were it makes no logical sense to me and further highlights the needs for other changes to compliment an alchy nerf.

Q: Why would staff waste time adjusting multiple things when they could just leave things the way they are?

A: Better overall balance in the end. Promotion of diversity. "Just because something is still the way it has always been and what we are used to doesn't mean that is how things should remain"

That mentality is the #1 fallacy when discussing changes. UOF, life, whatever.

Kick that old shit.

Xiulan

Master
I think a lot of players don't think it's good the way it is.

No doubt. It's not possible to make everyone happy, though, so it doesn't really make sense for that to be the goal. Probably the best that can be hoped for is to make the greatest amount of people the least unhappy.

And yes I realize that all the pleas for nerfing of enemies are masked as reasonable requests for 'balance" but personally I'm not buying it.

EvilAcid

Grandmaster
If you are forced to use a specific item for a pvp mechanic. It probably means something's broken. Template diversity is pretty important in any pvp game that relies on even having different templates. UO was actually way more intricate and skill based after the implementation of more skills and weapon abilities. I used a bushido dexer and had to account for mana use and was constantly switching weapons for different abilities. It wasnt easy and was way fun. Just my two cents.

drasked

Grandmaster
If you are forced to use a specific item for a pvp mechanic. It probably means something's broken. Template diversity is pretty important in any pvp game that relies on even having different templates. UO was actually way more intricate and skill based after the implementation of more skills and weapon abilities. I used a bushido dexer and had to account for mana use and was constantly switching weapons for different abilities. It wasnt easy and was way fun. Just my two cents.

You are forced to use many items to have a chance in pvp. Mount, armor, pots, regs, trapped pouches.

Winstonian

Grandmaster
Absolutely.

Forcing mages to choose between stun, heal, alch, scribe or poison (which needs a buff) as viable build options would be perfect for this game, and that's how it should be. Parry dexers would get a huge, much needed boost in popularity.

Right now, most mages have stun and throw expl pots. It's... just... really not the way I feel UO PvP should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.