Tone down Energy Vortexes (EVS)

Dellan

Grandmaster
EVs are good the way they are. Best way to kill dismounted guy who forgot to set dispel on hotkey. Besides, it's the only way to "fight" for mage without eval. So leave them alone.

Smokey McCallum

Grandmaster
@Shini you haven't been around very long : )

when we're throwing down smileys that's when you know it's getting serious

@Smokey McCallum getting tired of seeing ''is stupid'' as the basis for arguments. Although reasonably this is the internet so there might actually be some 7th grade students in here, which makes it at least semi-understandable that it will come up once in a while.

There's already a valid counter argument anyways, that non-mounted players should know better than to step out of town without a mount on a mounted shard. Horses are cheap, you can buy 50 taming and tame them for free at the stables.

Maybe what we could do is have mounts wander around, and if they bump into a player that has 0 followers, that horse will ''fall in love'' with the player rendering it able to be mounted. I'd be down with making getting mounts a little easier for those players who can't quite figure it out on their own.

The rest of your post was purely ''this should be this way'' opinions, which is fine, but when you start by saying something is just plain stupid then you're just bringing your credibility down a notch. Jus' sayin.

I wasn't having an attack on you mate, just voicing my opinion. I did post after 4 am and reading it back now I didn't put in much of an argument ha. I'll list a few reasons why I think they are overpowered.

1. As I said before, easy option for a PK. I have 50 mana even on my dex pk's just to cast EV's because it is so easy. Easy loot. Not much work to get the kill for the loot.

2. Dexers with low mana can only dispel 1 EV then they are pretty much fucked if another is cast on them. They cant continue to fight unless they run a mile then back.

3. Dexers with 0 mana are really fucked. You might argue that they should have magery but why should they? It shouldn't be that dexers HAVE TO have magery just to dispel, it restricts templates.

4. If you are unmounted you are pretty much dead against any pker with an EV scroll pre-cast no matter how shit they are at pvping. You may argue people shouldn't be unmounted, but there are unmounted areas and many farmers use 2 pets and no mounts. That is their decision but it shouldn't mean a certain death sentence to anyone with an EV scroll.

5. This one is personal opinion really. They shouldn't be used (much) for pvp, if they aren't then they don't need to be that fast. They should move at mob speed or a little faster and that's it. They shouldn't be chasing people like Usain Bolt with a rocket up his arse.

Hopefully that's a little better than just saying they are stupid.

I havn't seen any valid reasons why they are good the way they are as of yet though? Not a single reason.

I have a feeling those who use/abuse them will never agree that they are overpowered. Its an easy option. I use them myself and will continue unless they are changed because they are too easy. Cheap and easy. :)

agauo

Master
You guys make my head hurt..

I am once again sorry that I wrongly stated once that EVs run at mounted speed. I meant to say that EVs run at 98.599999(repeating of course)% of mounted speed. How incredibly stupid of me to suggest something so asinine.

Your only argument is that this is the way EVs have always been. You seem to imply that you are including OSI. As far as I remember I never recall them running at the speed at which they do here (Hence why I laughed when I first saw them here. Seriously it's laughable). Just to make sure my memory wasn't that bad I looked through some videos of energy vortexes on youtube and could not find a single one where they were running even close to the speed they do here. Furthermore every single other freeshard I know of they did not and do not move as fast. Also the only time when energy vortexes poisoned on hit if I am remembering correctly is in T2A. You also forget that I am pretty sure on OSI EV's would attack anyone. If your argument is this is the way they have been then, then that must apply to this shard only. Can you come up with a better argument than this?

You seem to be ignoring the argument I make in which it kills PvP and is a very skill-less tactic. Sure it's easy to run 5 screens away leaving houses just in order to outrun and dispel it. The problem is it just makes people want to log off. One person casting EV after EV outside of brit bridge, at an idoc, or at their house against a group will honestly keep an entire group from playing. This is exactly what I have seen happening and many times why my group has logged off.

girana

Grandmaster
You seem to be ignoring the argument I make in which it kills PvP and is a very skill-less tactic. Sure it's easy to run 5 screens away leaving houses just in order to outrun and dispel it. The problem is it just makes people want to log off. One person casting EV after EV outside of brit bridge, at an idoc, or at their house against a group will honestly keep an entire group from playing. This is exactly what I have seen happening and many times why my group has logged off.

explo pots even more unbalanced and make more ppl log off so stop crying and deal with it

Jani

Grandmaster
Casting energy vortexes seems to be one of the most popular pvp tactics here, especially if you are a blue brit bridge pvper. It is pretty sad since summoning a lot of evs all the time just kills the action and those reds are the only pvp action which blue brit bridge pvpers will ever get.

I also have never seen such fast and OP energy vortex as on UOF. It is not like I die because of them, but they are way too fast and really annoying.

Last edited by a moderator:

girana

Grandmaster
evs here have same speed as pre pub16 on osi

evs arent OP every heart about DISPEL ??

summoning alot evs ??? MASS DISPEL 1 SPELL = 25 evs gone LOL cry about OP lol

lol plz just log off if cant handle evs

Shini

Master
evs here have same speed as pre pub16 on osi

evs arent OP every heart about DISPEL ??

summoning alot evs ??? MASS DISPEL 1 SPELL = 25 evs gone LOL cry about OP lol

lol plz just log off if cant handle evs

Yes , i've heard of dispel because i can cast it up to 100 times in an hour but thats only if someone
can successfully convience me to log on (✿◠‿◠) ... (and fix my invisible client with the cyber Da Vinci Code)

They are not OP they are just annoying and a complete waste of time to deal with.
there is absolutely no point at all in casting them except for ''trolling''

I spent 50% of my time running off 4-5 screens while spamming dispel the few times
that i actually played here with a group i just fail to see how any of this can be enjoyable from a PVP perspective.

I'd rather play minesweeper than reliving such an experience.

Hey Girana, you should treat your peers with a wee bit of respect considering the only thing you're decent at is the Britannia 100-meter sprint.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
Lets be honest.

Between smokey and aga I'm starting to wonder if they've even read the thread responses at all.

To say that the only argument is that EV's have always been this way is a joke. There is a valid counter point for every argument they've made, even if they continue to ignore them.

Counter arguments such as anticipation of EV's being casted and the ability for both sides to make success rates better using scrolls.

I'd like to place a counter argument for EV's being overpowered in areas where mounts are not able to be used:

Players have the choice to enter those areas, if they are being forced off a mount then it's meant to add risk. If there's extra risk, there must be extra rewards there no??

In order to balance EV's being too powerful in those areas, the better choice for balancing is to increase the reward, rather than changing game dynamics which have existed for close to 2 decades.

The downfall of trying to balance those areas by nerfing EV's is that they will be completely useless in mounted areas.

This is exactly what I have seen happening and many times why my group has logged off.

You guys make my head hurt..
How incredibly stupid of me to suggest something so asinine.

This right here is the best evidence that Aga is resorting to dramatics in order to win this debate. If his team is logging off because of a few EV scrolls, then you really can't change the game to suit them without adding trammel, straight up.

I hope everyone will use this as an example to demonstrate how sync pvpers will cry for change anytime they're thrown a curveball, because sync pvp makes pvpers bad over time, even bad enough at the game to log off at the sight of an EV.

That's just sad, terrible argument Aga. Guy just wants to benefit from the best rewards in the game (idocs) without any risk.

Smokey McCallum

Grandmaster
Lets be honest.

Between smokey and aga I'm starting to wonder if they've even read the thread responses at all.

To say that the only argument is that EV's have always been this way is a joke. There is a valid counter point for every argument they've made, even if they continue to ignore them.

Counter arguments such as anticipation of EV's being casted and the ability for both sides to make success rates better using scrolls.

I'd like to place a counter argument for EV's being overpowered in areas where mounts are not able to be used:

Players have the choice to enter those areas, if they are being forced off a mount then it's meant to add risk. If there's extra risk, there must be extra rewards there no??

In order to balance EV's being too powerful in those areas, the better choice for balancing is to increase the reward, rather than changing game dynamics which have existed for close to 2 decades.

The downfall of trying to balance those areas by nerfing EV's is that they will be completely useless in mounted areas.

This right here is the best evidence that Aga is resorting to dramatics in order to win this debate. If his team is logging off because of a few EV scrolls, then you really can't change the game to suit them without adding trammel, straight up.

I hope everyone will use this as an example to demonstrate how sync pvpers will cry for change anytime they're thrown a curveball, because sync pvp makes pvpers bad over time, even bad enough at the game to log off at the sight of an EV.

That's just sad, terrible argument Aga. Guy just wants to benefit from the best rewards in the game (idocs) without any risk.

Still cant see a valid argument why they are balanced the way they are.
I never sync pvp by the way, I play almost exclusively solo.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
Still cant see a valid argument why they are balanced the way they are.
I never sync pvp by the way, I play almost exclusively solo.

Nobody is saying that you sync pvp, however many of the bigger supporters are, like Aga, jani and shake for example. Newbie factioners here on UOF.

And I don't know what you mean by ''can't see a valid argument why they are balanced the way they are''

Like I said, all you gotta do is read the thread.

The primary reasons they are balanced is because of the mana cost of EV vs Dispel, and the fact that both sides can have 100% success rate with scrolls.

I've also demonstrated how majority of dexers have enough magery/mana to use dispel scrolls (since you only need like 20 magery)

Almost nobody uses a dexie with 0 magery, you're grasping at straws there.

It's all in the thread man, just gotta read it. Now I hope you'll stop with the ''there's no counterargument'' campaign.
Like I've said, it's up to the thread poster to explain why they aren't balanced if he want's age old mechanics changed, not vice versa. That's how it works.

Bromista

Grandmaster
Hanes and Girana, an idiot match made in heaven.

I think I see an opening in $ guild, match made in heaven tbh. Lord knows they need to recruit. Wall of stone and EV are their two most commonly casted spells in a fight.

Smokey McCallum

Grandmaster
Nobody is saying that you sync pvp, however many of the bigger supporters are, like Aga, jani and shake for example. Newbie factioners here on UOF.

And I don't know what you mean by ''can't see a valid argument why they are balanced the way they are''

Like I said, all you gotta do is read the thread.

The primary reasons they are balanced is because of the mana cost of EV vs Dispel, and the fact that both sides can have 100% success rate with scrolls.

I've also demonstrated how majority of dexers have enough magery/mana to use dispel scrolls (since you only need like 20 magery)

Almost nobody uses a dexie with 0 magery, you're grasping at straws there.

It's all in the thread man, just gotta read it. Now I hope you'll stop with the ''there's no counterargument'' campaign.
Like I've said, it's up to the thread poster to explain why they aren't balanced if he want's age old mechanics changed, not vice versa. That's how it works.

Read and reread this whole thread in search of just one valid reason as to why they are balanced and havn't found a single one.
Is the fact that they cost 50 mana to cast and 20 to dispel the only thing fans of these can say in favour of them? Pretty weak argument and doesn't stand up against the many more counter arguments.
Why should everyone HAVE TO have at least 20 magery?
Why should everyone HAVE TO have more than 25 int in case they have to dispel more than one EV?
Why should people HAVE TO have someone in their group to dispel? What about solo players?

Its an easy, cheap tactic hence why everyone uses them. As I've said, I use them too so if they are changed or not it's fine with me but there is no denying they are overpowered and not balanced. PVP isn't supposed to be like this.