Unfair skill cap

TheFallen

Grandmaster
Just because anyone can do it does not make it not a bug. If it wasn't intended to be used this way than it is a bug. I personally believe yes it is a bug but I don't necessarily think it should be changed either. In osi you received your 20 extra skill points as vet rewards and I think that might be a happy medium where players can buy their way into it early or loyal long term players get it as an automatic bonus.

Bromista

Grandmaster
I think of it like pet skill loss. It creates a market for specific scrolls. Adam supported that. Peace is busted here so the only demand for peace PS is cap boosting. It's generally accepted that this is what you are doing when buying or selling a peace PS. I have honestly never seen staff address this topic directly . @halygon was not a mod at the time of those earlier discussions, however these days he often relays concerns with mechanic abuse and other such related business directly with staff and gives us their feedback.

I would be curious to hear official input on the matter. To be honest, I don't see what would be done. It's a thing that is inherent with power scrolling. To "fix" it now, if it could be done, can't grant everyone a bonus because scrolling takes time and resources that are available to all. Anyone who has put in the effort has earned it in my book.

Tydeus

Master
It does cost a bit more aside from the PS because skill scrolls are cheaper than using resources to hit the cap..

Unfortunately people keep jacking the price way up on Peace, obviously it's because demand for peace is higher because it costs nothing to raise only time. At the going rate, it's seriously about on par. 500k for Peace PS (some people even pay that much for the 120 alone), boom 120 at no extra cost. Tailor PS cost maybe 350k tops but an additional probably 100-150k to GM with SS and resources. So it's really a close call on these two I'd say.

I have been wandering around several popular vendor locations without finding even one tailoring skill scroll. The few blacksmithy skill scrolls I come across are now priced at huge prices on a few different vendors (20-40k). I got all of my BS SS for 10k each before. Someone just recently wanted to buy 20 tailoring SS for 10k each. That is 200k to reach 120 tailoring skill from 100 without leather resources.

There is also the supply and demand issue. You not only need to be able to find the tailoring powerscrolls, but you also need to find the skill scrolls, and preferably at a fair cost and not a jacked up price. That can also be a time sink because you have to ignore the people who overprice.

What would you say the tailoring powerscrolls are now worth? I happen to have 105, 110, and 120 tailoring powerscrolls if people need them.

Bromista

Grandmaster
Tailoring is cheap with exception of 115 because they are hard to get from BODs, you mostly get those from champs etc.

105 - 10k
110 - 20k
115 - 200-225k
120 - 50-75k

Didn't realized SS were hard to come by these days.

DalMichaelLas

Grandmaster
I have been wandering around several popular vendor locations without finding even one tailoring skill scroll. The few blacksmithy skill scrolls I come across are now priced at huge prices on a few different vendors (20-40k). I got all of my BS SS for 10k each before. Someone just recently wanted to buy 20 tailoring SS for 10k each. That is 200k to reach 120 tailoring skill from 100 without leather resources.

There is also the supply and demand issue. You not only need to be able to find the tailoring powerscrolls, but you also need to find the skill scrolls, and preferably at a fair cost and not a jacked up price. That can also be a time sink because you have to ignore the people who overprice.

What would you say the tailoring powerscrolls are now worth? I happen to have 105, 110, and 120 tailoring powerscrolls if people need them.

music peace discord etc all work well for macroing/low ps prices generally, and do you actually have to get just 1 skill to 120 or cant you get 4 skills to 105?

n8m8

Journeyman
^ one skill 120.

I have a char with 720 cap. Paid 200k for skill scrolls from 100 to 120 and 400k for power scrolls.

Tailoring skill scrolls are 10k each if no more. Definitely one of the better skill scrolls around.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tydeus

Master
music peace discord etc all work well for macroing/low ps prices generally, and do you actually have to get just 1 skill to 120 or cant you get 4 skills to 105?

You must go all the way with a 120 powerscroll. The cap increases after using each powerscroll type.

Macunzo

Adept
I was trying to be sarcastic. I guess I failed. I think it's a non-issue (and not a bug).

For those who discover this only now and are jealous: Surely you have two free skills in your 7xGM (eval, wrestling, anatomy, hiding...) which you can lower while you macro music/peace to 100/120. Then you can get your 20 free tracking FTW.

Tydeus

Master
I forgot that you only need 15x skill scrolls for this because you have your cap set to 720 when you use a 120 PS at 115 skill. This amounts to150k at 10k per SS.

That is around 430-480k if you manage to buy the tailoring SS at 10k each. This is pretty equal with the peacemaking price if you don't buy the skill scrolls and gain skill with a macro.

Bromista

Grandmaster
I forgot that you only need 15x skill scrolls for this because you have your to cap set to 720 when you use a 120 PS at 115 skill. This amounts to150k at 10k per SS.

That is around 430-480k if you manage to buy the tailoring SS at 10k each. This is pretty equal with the peacemaking price if you don't buy the skill scrolls and gain skill with a macro.
You still gotta get the skill to 120.0 though :(

Tydeus

Master
You still gotta get the skill to 120.0 though :(

Are you really sure about that? I just now got 115 peacemaking, unlocked the 120, and then I was able to up my wrestling by 5 points while the previous cap was 715,I had a total of 720 points spent.

Guttersnipe

Grandmaster
I'm pretty sure you can gain any other skill once you unlock the extra 5 points and up your cap. At least it works that way with 105's. I forgot to check on the 120's

TheFallen

Grandmaster
As soon as you eat it your skill cap is raised. So no need to train. So as an aside, you can raise any skill you want once you have eaten the scroll by 5 points and then turn it down to gain your desired skill. Ie. When working Taming and already had lore I would up my meditation temporarily.

Vince[Tharakus]

Grandmaster
Are you really sure about that? I just now got 115 peacemaking, unlocked the 120, and then I was able to up my wrestling by 5 points while the previous cap was 715,I had a total of 720 points spent.

This is correct. From GM to 120 to increase the 720 cap you only need to raise skill to 115. Once you eat the 120 PS your good to go. You dont have to raise it to 120 just need to unlock the potential.

And what happened to the excitement of actually learning the game on your own. Instead of all the tears when something or knowledge isnt just given to you??!! Sad really!

Dig'em

Grandmaster
Everyones cap can be 720, buy a set of peace/tailor scrolls you tight cunts they dont have much value anyway. lets not devalue scrolls anymore than we have to for the sake of a few babies crying cos its not given to them on a plate.....
I've got all 4 peace ps and 20 SS for 500k. Boom, instant skull cap raise

DocOp

Adept
"20 points are an unfair advantage" ...?
Anyone who complains about things being "unfair" I say to you, welcome to LIFE.
If that's really how you feel, I bet you'll cry every time you get pk'd and quit within a few logged hours.
Stop bitching. Buy the damn things and get your game on.