Who is the guy going around scamming houses?

Vorax

Grandmaster
I have been helping people keep their chin up a lot lately. Maybe it's time I lose my famous kind streak.
There are far to many griefers and scammers on this server for the few nice people to pack up and leave... I hope you never stop being the Blaine we've come to know.

Kael

Master
There are far to many griefers and scammers on this server for the few nice people to pack up and leave... I hope you never stop being the Blaine we've come to know.

This MUST be a different Blaine the Gypsy then I know. The PAWS Blaine is crusty, grumpy and liable to steal moldy bread from your pocket !!

drinn

Grandmaster
That is just tricking and belongs to the era of being a newbie. :) Accept only, when you see money in trade, when selling a house.

I once wanted to sell some skill scroll at Brit bank. I was aware of thieves, but did not know u were able to steal while having ethy (so I thought buyer did not have Stealing, while horsed)... so lesson learned: do every trade at docks lol.

Darkarna

Grandmaster
Welcome to the fun of games of misdirection. Beware the urge of panicked clicks, beware the illusion of falsified confessions.

Sorry for your loss, but this is probably one of the best lessons to experience and a warning to other hasty traders out there, think clearly and to yourself oO( Are the right boxes ticked? Why the rush? Why is this guy naked?)

Earendur

Adept
Things I learned about UOForever from this topic;

Scamming is condoned by 90% of the forum population.

Scamming is allowed as long as you can't do a charge back.

Lexington

Grandmaster

Third... scamming is only done by players that mom let suck on the boob for too long! ;)

Earendur

Adept
That isn't what I asked. I asked how are those things conducive to a thriving community hoping for an actual explanation other than 'weeds out idiots.'

You said they are positives, explain.

Kael

Master

Not condoned...but certainly expected. People have been pulling crap like this since the game started. In the sandbox game of UO, people can be saints or scum bags. I love looking on these forums and see people bitching about EQMS, POWER or Peeping Tom. It just means that even after all these years UO has not lost it's fire.

Cold_Gin

Apprentice
okay, I replaced my house, grinding it all up in a day of playtime :) I did not ever click to trade a house to Mr October. I simply lost my house due to a scam...I got over it, rebuilt it in the same spot. Hell, maybe I'll invite the cocksucker over for dinner, then serve his head on a plate :). I promise I have taken more than the cost of that house from a lot of you over the past 800 days. I blame me for losing the house, but the design was pretty ugly...so the little bastard did me a favor :) Peace, I will not discuss this any further .

Last edited by a moderator:

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster
That isn't what I asked. I asked how are those things conducive to a thriving community hoping for an actual explanation other than 'weeds out idiots.'

You said they are positives, explain.

It culls the weak? What the fuck are you even saying, guy? I will reiterate one last time..i didn't click in the trade window. I tried to target the guy, he kept moving and next thing I know he had my house. But seriously, drop this shit already. I replaced my house "It culls the weak...amazingly arrogant statement. I strive to be upper echelon one day, sell me your book.

I am not talking about either of you being weak. EVERYONE gets scammed at some point. Whether you overcome that obstacle and press on or give up/cry/rage quit is a pretty important measure in my opinion.

There is NO SHAME in being scammed. It happens every day in real life over stuff much more important than pixels. It's a reflection of human nature, greed, trust and deception.

Overcoming being scammed is a fucking badge of honor in my book.

People quitting over being scammed is not necessarily bad. It means less weak players, less crybabies, less rage threads, more freedom for those who took their lumps and grew from them, and more REAL UO MEN(and women).

It's akin to a crucible, and once you are through it you are better for it. I just want to have the best playerbase possible and although it is counterintuitive, I think scamming has a real place in building that playerbase.

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster
okay, I replaced my house, grinding it all up in a day of playtime :) I did not ever click to trade a house to Mr October. I simply lost my house due to a scam...I got over it, rebuilt it in the same spot. Hell, maybe I'll invite the cocksucker over for dinner, then serve his head on a plate :). I promise I have taken more than the cost of that house from a lot of you over the past 800 days. I blame me for losing the house, but the design was pretty ugly...so the little bastard did me a favor :) Peace, I will not discuss this any further .

THATS THE GOOD SHIT RIGHT THERE

images%2Farticle%2F2014%2F03%2F03%2Fku-xlarge.gif

Cold_Gin

Apprentice
I am not talking about either of you being weak. EVERYONE gets scammed at some point. Whether you overcome that obstacle and press on or give up/cry/rage quit is a pretty important measure in my opinion.

There is NO SHAME in being scammed. It happens every day in real life over stuff much more important than pixels. It's a reflection of human nature, greed, trust and deception.

Overcoming being scammed is a fucking badge of honor in my book.

People quitting over being scammed is not necessarily bad. It means less weak players, less crybabies, less rage threads, more freedom for those who took their lumps and grew from them, and more REAL UO MEN(and women).

It's akin to a crucible, and once you are through it you are better for it. I just want to have the best playerbase possible and although it is counterintuitive, I think scamming has a real place in building that playerbase.
I do not disagree, karl...I had meant to delete/edit that post....ya replied to it WAY TOO FAST!!! :) Peace man

Earendur

Adept
I suppose I have to ask again to get a response specifically to what I asked;

How is that conducive to a thriving community?

The simple answer, it isn't. This isn't about how YOU view a person, this is about what allowing things like this can do to a community. The ONLY reason this isn't an issue is because he isn't doing it en masse, only sporadically. If 9 out of 10 players were scamming, no one would play here, but they don't. So because scamming only happens so often, it is ACCEPTED. That is sad, it should be TOLERATED to a certain extent, but not accepted. And that seems to be what a lot of people's opinions are.

"People quitting over being scammed is not necessarily bad. It means less weak players, less crybabies, less rage threads, more freedom for those who took their lumps and grew from them, and more REAL UO MEN(and women)."

Just because you lack empathy doesn't mean it is the correct thought pattern. It doesn't mean less weak players, less crybabies. It means more jackasses and less of an economy. 9/10 posts that aren't on the buy/sell are rage posts.

"Not condoned...but certainly expected. People have been pulling crap like this since the game started. In the sandbox game of UO, people can be saints or scum bags."

I swear to god I hope the person who came up with term sandbox rots in hell, because people have no idea what it actually means or what type of game it applies to. This is not a "SANDBOX" game. Being able to make a fencer bard tamer while building a custom house isn't sandbox. It's open world. There is a HUGE difference. And to say "Oh this lessens my sandbox experience!" is asinine, because by that context EVERY RULE ruins your experience. I want to RP a racist bigot, am I allowed? Nope. I want to RP a scammer who only finds new players to chase off, am I allowed? Yep. Why? Because being a racist bigot in Britain bank will chase 10 times the amount of people off the sever as one person scamming three or four people would. At the end of the day, it is wrong, it shouldn't be allowed, but it isn't enough of a problem to warrant action. That's the only argument that I can think of that would rationally go against it being a punishable offense.