Why is parry bad?

rsgrava

Neophyte
I've been taking a look at some weird-ish templates that include Parry, and always the reactions are negative. What makes it so undesirable?

Because it does nothing against magic. And armor alone is usually effective enough against melee attacks. Basically, only take parry if you just like being comically tanky, don't mind gimping your damage output, and don't mind giving up another more useful skill in the process.

rsgrava

Neophyte
Alright. I was considering settling with a tank mage, so if I take no parry, should I still have a shield merely for the AR or take 2h weps? (going with swordsmanship)

halygon

Grandmaster
Actually parry is pretty good if you are going to pvm.

For pvp, it's only good against other dexxors.

rsgrava

Neophyte
Yeah, my objective was a build for PvM that can still hold its position in PvP. Sounds ambitious, I know, but if it could be possible...

halygon

Grandmaster
Yeah, my objective was a build for PvM that can still hold its position in PvP. Sounds ambitious, I know, but if it could be possible...
You can still hold your own in pvp if you know what you are doing. Mages be like U krazy but it works. Just if you are against two mages, don't try to fight.

rsgrava

Neophyte
You can still hold your own in pvp if you know what you are doing. Mages be like U krazy but it works. Just if you are against two mages, don't try to fight.
Alright, I get what you mean. I don't think I'll get parry (other skills seem more important) but which weapon should I pick then? I was going for katana and a shield.

ShinPi

Grandmaster
What are some dexer type mobs worth farming then? Ogre lords is one, others?
Damn near all are if you get close enough they will hit you. I tried it in destrard when I first started on this shard and it does help a shit load if your gm and you've got 2 or 3 hitting you as it will cause them to miss. Mix that with spell resist and it's really not that bad if they can't hit you they can't hurt you well unless you have no spell resist and they flame strike your ass hahahahahaha happy hunting

edw3rdwood

Grandmaster
I used to have parry on my dexxer, I could take down lots of things solo and fight paragons solo, etc. I realized it's only that way for basic mobs like ettins, ogres, orcs, etc and I wanted to fight dragons and daemons, which require teamwork/advanced strategies, so I dropped it for poisoning to go all-out DPS

Snickle

Grandmaster
My favorite versatile pvm/pvp template is a 5x mage (magery, eval, med, resists, wrestling) with provocation and music.

My favorite pure pvm template is GM archery, tactics, provo, music with 90 heal, 80 anatomy, 70 resist spells and 60 magery.
Slayer weapons really make this one fun to play.