Fix Discordance and Peacemaking.

Correct me if I am wrong... This whole idealistic belief on griefing is part of which generation? X Y ?? When i First started UO we had other things to worry about... dial up conneciton loss,<<< DSL<<< Cable << Server you name it. I do recall pks killing for loot. I do recall Traps being set to kill people off.... I do not remember in my Nostalgic memory of the classic UO I love to be a griefing<<< unless some form of scam was done.. yes but broken game mechanics? naw I remember broken game mechanics use to be fixed because they are what they are... broken. Griefing is something I just do not recall in my past. So I honestly would have to say that its either immaturity... another generation of gameplay<<< hence trolling lololol rofl << all that stupidity. So I am sorry if I am unable to compute. Like I said previsouly I care not for a fix or if it is a fix. Logically speaking... its broken cuz it is a negative act and its not being treated as one.

halygon

Grandmaster
Until a dev confirms that this clearly negative act was designed as a non negative act, you're just talking out your ass.
Clearly the negative act was not negatively non negative or else it would be considered negative.

Well obviously... jeez

Note: So.. you really think that the dev of OSI will respond on this forum about a mechanic they implemented 15 years ago?

jkg8787

Master
Personally I think good game mechanics are ones that are counterable in some way. Griefing may be a "legit" way to play the game, but there should still be options for the griefee.

I'm fine with Peacekeeping not flagging, you can just spam All Kill to counter this grief.

But there is literally no counter to having a pet discorded, besides leaving the area, or taking a count (on a blue tamer). Kinda lame.

TheFallen

Grandmaster
Won't anyone think of the poor griefers.

I'll tell you @halygon why no one will think of the griefers.
Because the ultimate win for griefers is to get a player to quit and sorry @limlight but population above all (but only slightly above ingots).
Now time for a previous loss to come back and bite you @halygon. What happens to the poor griefers now if they become Grey. Well guess what magic reflect got a nice fix so now they can grief and even step up their game and Noto kill as well.

Ok so let's get this change and actually encourage pvp and action not just trying to piss people off into quiting.

PS. If I hear nostalgia one more time I'm going to lose my mind. This uo has team speak and UO assist and cannot be expected to be played the same as 1999 changes must be made and should be made for what's best now. Nostalgia holds true irregardless of small game play changes.

Cerebellum

Grandmaster
Clearly the negative act was not negatively non negative or else it would be considered negative.

Well obviously... jeez

Note: So.. you really think that the dev of OSI will respond on this forum about a mechanic they implemented 15 years ago?

If this was an OSI shard, yes, I would expect that. However, since the developers here are very capable of settling this debate, I expect them to.

I'm not sure exactly what your deal has been over the past week or so, but you've been trolling a lot of posts and reading your nonsense and the derailment of the threads you've been participating in has been exhausting.

Also, you seem to be a big contributor to the Wiki. This recent trolling devalues your contributions and your credibility. Quite honestly, you've managed to make a fool of yourself as well as completely negate anything you've offered to the community thus far. Well done.

FAMARA

Grandmaster
I am thinking about nothing but the server. So that begs the question...

What about the guy that likes to grief? He leaves server because this change is instituted

good for server?

Nope.

I am not sure I am the one that is biased towards griefing here. I understand that although I may not do it myself that it IS part of the game and helps make it as great as it is. I am not biased one way or the other.

Who's talking about PvP anyways other than you?

one griefer that left the server, would be better for the server then how many people that dude, will get to leave the server plain and simple as that, if you can't understand that, then there is really no point in this convo.

halygon

Grandmaster
If this was an OSI shard, yes, I would expect that. However, since the developers here are very capable of settling this debate, I expect them to.

I'm not sure exactly what your deal has been over the past week or so, but you've been trolling a lot of posts and reading your nonsense and the derailment of the threads you've been participating in has been exhausting.

Also, you seem to be a big contributor to the Wiki. This recent trolling devalues your contributions and your credibility. Quite honestly, you've managed to make a fool of yourself as well as completely negate anything you've offered to the community thus far. Well done.
Actually the only troll I've done in the past week has been the begging dono vendors.. which was hilarious.

I am not trolling here. I am completely serious. I like the PvM aspect of UO, but I also like the fact that people can screw with me and I can choose to take action on that or not. Hell, if i want to, I can plain out kill them. These are all aspects of UO that I have enjoyed over the years and I don't like to see them removed because its hard to swallow for some folk. Maybe I am just stubborn and do not want change, but there ya go.

Actually the only troll I've done in the past week has been the begging dono vendors.. which was hilarious.

I am not trolling here. I am completely serious. I like the PvM aspect of UO, but I also like the fact that people can screw with me and I can choose to take action on that or not. Hell, if i want to, I can plain out kill them. These are all aspects of UO that I have enjoyed over the years and I don't like to see them removed because its hard to swallow for some folk. Maybe I am just stubborn and do not want change, but there ya go.

I don't mind like i said... I did exactly that. A guy named Maynard performed disco on my pet... I killed him. He had on his body a lute. Two things of bloodmoss and two Mandrake.. Nothing else. He ran a screen north .. got rezzed by a healer... bought a instrument right outside destard and went at it again. I laughted. :) Now its become a game of grief and giving out murder counts. :) he continued to do the same and i stood there not caring at all. Kept doing my own thing. Negative action? = Definatly... Who one this battle.. He won. I killed him taking his instrument. He gave me a murder count. I got a instrument and two of blodmoss and mandrake... < not worth taking. Ya he def beat me. For those that care about this issue ... all i can tell ya is that if you truly are bothered by these actions... then you lose already. The griefer wants to grief.. pay him no mind. he will bore.

U-Haul

Master
ugh....there are so many things you can do to grief someone that don't flag you grey. will all of those things change as well?
dispelling gates,walling people in, luring mobs, death gating, mass dispelling ev's , AOE peacemaking over and over, etc,etc.
It is a form a griefing because I do it to so much to many people not to realize that.
But, where do you draw the line with just one change? two? It's a slippery slope once you start to grease one of the squeaky wheels and then the rest of the wheels want a bit of that grease as well. That's what started on OSI and how Trammel came about.

FAMARA

Grandmaster
ugh....there are so many things you can do to grief someone that don't flag you grey. will all of those things change as well?
dispelling gates,walling people in, luring mobs, death gating, mass dispelling ev's , AOE peacemaking over and over, etc,etc.
It is a form a griefing because I do it to so much to many people not to realize that.
But, where do you draw the line with just one change? two? It's a slippery slope once you start to grease one of the squeaky wheels and then the rest of the wheels want a bit of that grease as well. That's what started on OSI and how Trammel came about.

every single one of those ways to grief that you named have repruccions such as having to use regs, so when you die you lose regs.
with a newbie instrument you lose nothing.
also biased opinion, since your one of the only discorders, on uoforever.

The Difference in griefing from all the things u just claimed up top are that they are things done influencing enviromental actions. The disco on a persons pet is considered a target action. It is per say casting a bigger level curse on a blue monster/ pet. U perform a negative action on a healer.. u turn grey ... Any action with griefing dealing with enviromental actions is usually overlooked because their is a manipulation of counter like someone posted previous. For disco .. even retiring from your location is not an option.. because that person just follows you :) unless ur fortunate to lose him<< good luck :)

jkg8787

Master
All those examples have a way around them (except maybe gate dispelling, but you can cast again) and don't involve performing a negative action on a player/their pet.

What's the solution to being discorded other than leaving, or taking a murder count.

U-Haul

Master
I just wanted to weigh in on it is all. I understand it is frustrating being on the other side of the drum. wasn't looking for a forum fight
=]
target based peacemaking can be worked around by invising the bard, maybe that could be done with discord as well? just a thought

thestand

Grandmaster
You can just kill him with your second account. Don't change the game cause you don't feel like using the options already provided.

jkg8787

Master
You can just kill him with your second account. Don't change the game cause you don't feel like using the options already provided.
Well if everyone is SO fucking worried about adhering to some mystical set of rules from 15+ years ago, who the fuck actually had two accounts back then on OSI and would use this as a solution?

I'm sure I'm guilty of it myself, but funny how some people demand authenticity in some situations, but overlook it in others.

Hail to thee, Discorder of Pets, I herald thee as a true champion of trollology!

Did any of you other than Halygon even play this game on pay servers for any significant amount of time? I'm not even trying to troll, I'm legitimately curious, because people have been discording each others pets at champ spawns since champ spawns were first implemented on OSI, as well as on various freeshards. I had 120 disco on my Chesapeake bard for primarily this reason. When I would go to champ spawns, I would find the most proficient champ spawner(s) present in an enemy guild, or the one I felt was the largest douche, and discord the fuck out of their pets to get them killed as many times as possible. While this may seem like pure grief, if you think about it a little more instead of raging about someone doing something you don't like(one of the core concepts of this deliciously troll game), you may realize that it has legitimate applications when in contest with an enemy player or group at a spawn. The more times your pets die, the more time you waste recovering and healing off in a corner. The more time you spend off in the corner derping it, the less time you spend putting in damage on the champ. The less time you spend putting in damage on the champ, the less credit you get towards the scroll roll and the less chance you have of being granted a scroll. The same general strategy can be applied with peacemaking, though I found it more effective(and much funnier :D) over the years to get pets killed with discordance rather than to attempt to keep them chain-peaced to disrupt their damage output. In return for this trollery, I would lose the ability to provo effectively and maximize my own damage credit, as I was using half of my ability cooldowns to chain discord on the enemy tamer(s) pets, but the lols and the denial of a scroll to a known and hated enemy was worth it, particularly so when working with a small group in which you split profits.

Should it have made you grey from the get-go because it's a "negative action"? Maybe. Should they have changed it early in the game and considerably altered the game/champ spawn environment ? Maybe. They didn't. Am I personally that concerned over this mechanic and defending it because I use it to troll here? No, I have no discordance on any toon, no true bard, and no tamer.

It is the way it is. They didn't change it in the early 2000s after multiple years of people bitching about this EXACT SAME THING, so they were WELL aware of what was happening, how it was being utilized, and consciously chose to leave it in . I surely hope they don't change it now. Learn to deal with it, there are a number of ways in which to do so. If this person is playing according to the server rules, i.e. using 2 accounts and no more, then he is giving up one of his running clients in order to do this to you. This client could be in use by them to accomplish other things if they were not using it to troll you, whether it be crafting, training skills, ghost-observing rare spawns, etc...

"I really don't like it when an enemy hits me while I'm trying to recall and I fizzle. Maybe we should make it so that you don't get disrupted by melee hits, it's pretty unfair." Sounds rather ridiculous, doesn't it?

Last edited by a moderator:

bradley-

Grandmaster
My vote is for flagging gray upon successful discord or peace of another players tamed/bonded pet.

:)

halygon

Grandmaster
My vote is for flagging gray upon successful discord or peace of another players tamed/bonded pet.

:)
Nah, they shouldn't flag grey. We should just make it so that it is not even possible to discord or peace a tamed pet... that way it takes the choice to grief completely out of the picture.

...or... ...discord and peacemaking can be left completely alone as no changes need to be made to either skill.

oh btw @TheFallen --- "nostalgia"