Fix Spell Reflect and Going grey/criminal

Nihilism

Grandmaster
The amount of misinformation in this thread is incredible.
Worse than a fucking sewing circle.
No, it doesn't add spell damage.
GM Inscription offers15 circles from Magic Reflect alone.

The "Glitch" they speak of is this:

Guy A with scribe casts reflect.

Guy B casts flamestrike on Guy A (7 circles), the FS is reflected back to Guy b doing xx damage and REMAINS blue.

Guy A lost 7 circles of his reflect

Guy B Can cast another on him, same thing.

*ONLY* once Guy A's circles are either depleted or GONE BEYOND, will the spell connect, and thus flag Guy B Grey.
(Meaning, if he has 6 circles left, and Guy B casts flamestrike <7 circles>, it will wipe out those 6, and connect with the spell fully) and its from that moment that Guy A's cooldown timer on reapplying one of the buffs starts ticking.

Yeah, it's a broken mechanic. I'm merely explaining for those that are uninformed.

made a typo. Damn phones.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kraden

Grandmaster
The amount of misinformation in this thread is incredible.
Worse than a fucking sewing circle.
No, it doesn't add spell damage.
Yes, it adds 7 circles to the pre-existing 7 circles from Magic Reflect alone.

The "Glitch" they speak of is this:

Guy A with scribe casts reflect.

Guy B casts flamestrike on Guy A (7 circles), the FS is reflected back to Guy b doing xx damage and REMAINS blue.

Guy A lost 7 circles of his reflect

Guy B Can cast another on him, same thing.

*ONLY* once Guy A's circles are either depleted or GONE BEYOND, will the spell connect, and thus flag Guy B Grey.
(Meaning, if he has 6 circles left, and Guy B casts flamestrike <7 circles>, it will wipe out those 6, and connect with the spell fully) and its from that moment that Guy A's cooldown timer on reapplying one of the buffs starts ticking.

Yeah, it's a broken mechanic. I'm merely explaining for those that are uninformed.

Didnt know it was that many circles there. That is alot. But thnx for clearing up all the misinformation lol. On a side note they should make it so reflected spell does does damage then so people are flagged for first cast

Bromista

Grandmaster
Whew, what a mess.

This has been a known issue for a while and it appears it's going to stay that way. I actually think Kraden is right, I seem to remember casting on someone with reflect up did result in 1hp of damage even if the spell bounces off of them for the exact reason this thread was created, bullshit in the flagging system.

Also...scribe also has an effect on protection but much like reactive armor, there is no place for those spells in this discussion because there's no funny business regarding those spells. That is all.

Kraden

Grandmaster
Whew, what a mess.

This has been a known issue for a while and it appears it's going to stay that way. I actually think Kraden is right, I seem to remember casting on someone with reflect up did result in 1hp of damage even if the spell bounces off of them for the exact reason this thread was created, bullshit in the flagging system.

Also...scribe also has an effect on protection but much like reactive armor, there is no place for those spells in this discussion because there's no funny business regarding those spells. That is all.
Wow for once someone didnt just say i was wrong lmfao. Im gonna screenshot this and make a thread lol

Bromista

Grandmaster
Heh, hey you might be right you might be wrong!

Does anyone else remember the 1hp thing with reflect or am I out of it?

Kraden

Grandmaster

Yeah i swear they did. I cant even recall if it interrupts here though cause i barely use it on my pvpers But yeah id like more input on this rather than just no im dumb and wrong lol

Bromista

Grandmaster
There is definitely not an interrupt here and I'm not sure how I feel about it. On one hand, the interrupt and 1hp of damage would fix the flagging dumbfuckery, but on the other hand I don't see an effective way to flag on a target wearing reflect without causing 1hp of damage and an interrupt.

Perhaps while walking this fine line staff decided that interrupt was not the way to go and flagging was just a side-effect of that.

Who the hell knows, but this topic has be re-hashed several times without any input from staff (only flame-wars, go figure) so it looks like we may never have an answer...

Syntax

Adept

This I don't remember. Regardless of how it "was" should be irrelevant. Not trying to bash your thread, Bromista, at all, seriously. I just feel that common sense and making it the way someone would code it logically, should be the way that it is.

I mean when someone attacks someone else, and their kryss misses, or their arrow missed, you don't stay blue do you? What if you parry an attack and it doesn't do any damage, should that not flag someone? It just doesn't make sense, we have it here right now. 1 HP damage to make sure they flag, or if they just make them an attacker, regardless of reflecting or not, it should be addressed and fixed.

halygon

Grandmaster
Are you guys nuts? 1hp damage to someone wearing reflect? Lmao. Do you guys think so little if the devs that you think IF THEY wanted to they couldn't script a method for folks to turn grey even when their spell reflects back?

You guys are thinking one sided here. Each of you have the same ability to remove a reflect without being flagged. It's a risk for anyone. If you overshoot and actually hit through the reflect you go crim. if you don't break the reflect then you are safe.

I don't see an issue here. And wth does scribe have to do with anything in this situation? Nothin.

Nubby

Apprentice
That's one hell of a stretch asking people if they are nuts for an aggressive act to make them grey.

Someone is conjuring deep magic with the use of magical reagants, throwing fire into your face (an aggresive act), but they remain blue until your reflect is dropped. Does that make sense to you? If a wizard threw fire and brimstone in my face I would surely not consider him a blue innocent (see how ******** your 1hp logic is in a wizards video game).

I didn't think it was an issue until I started playing more (which I hope everyone here is speaking from their experience with 7x inscribe characters rather than opinion).

@halygon I thought the same exact thing until a huge battle, where first attacks/counters were critical at an IDOC (you know playing the game and having fun randomly not just synch dumps).

Short story: I was grey along with buddies, 2 blues exp ebolted me (all reflected) - both are half hp but still blue to me. I can't attack them until my reflect is gone (making scribe very useless prefight noto fighting). What sense does it make that they took a huge gamble dumping on me, only to not have to pay the consequences and remain blue? If you haven't played a scribe in a large group fight, and went grey to get the game "going" you simply don't understand the game breaking mechanics in place with reflect which are exacerbated with gm scribe.

Alternative: let them dump, hope you don't die, run off screen and then reflect, but is that really what we want? Aggressive acts should make you attackable by the person you are hurling ebolts at...

halygon

Grandmaster
Oh I fully understand what you are saying. I've played a scribe for as long as I can remember and have been in fights as big as 18vs18 at IDOCs in the past.

It sucks but I think it's a non issue in reality and has nothing to do with scribe at all, just magic reflection.

Don't rely on reflect so much is all I can suggest.

Bromista

Grandmaster
A. Not my thread.

B. We are saying the same thing, basically. That there needs to be a flag. Yes...regardless of the way it was, if in fact the 1hp thing is how it was, I swear you used to flag even if the spell was reflected. Whatever it takes to accomplish that, by all means implement it. It seems to me that it would be hard to do that without making a reflected spell do damage. Don't you have to do dmg to someone even as a dexer to take a count? If you flag and wiff you still can get away without murder iirc, just like how if you damage someone but heal them to full health you cannot be counted. That, in my opinion, is a major flaw because that still gives you the right to fuck with someone and get away with it.

@halygon the only impact inscription has in this situation is increasing the likelihood of someone getting that free dump on you. But of course scribe isn't necessary to create the situation in question and some people probably are assuming a bit too much about that.

halygon

Grandmaster
I'm just sayings it's not a big deal and there's a ton of other things that need to be changed here first before that should even be looked at. I mean dammit, fix the tinker trapped boxes! Thieves are too rampant.

I can't remember a time when reflect wasn't like that and I think it brings in a strategy and conflict, which are both good.

Nubby

Apprentice
How's that not a big deal? It completely makes reflect/scribe useless for the situation I just mentioned above.

This isn't a trapped box or thief thread, it's a reflect bug/scribe issue

It brings 0 strategy. Actually rewards people for synch dumping on greys because if it hits they die, if it doesn't they are still blue. VERY strategic indeed.

Bromista

Grandmaster
Well it is true that everyone has to deal with it on the same level, but that doesn't mean we can't ask for change. Even if there are bigger fish to fry this could be a really simple fix.

Hell, if you page staff will come to your house and help decorate it for you (turning/fixing bugged objects) or layer your bone mask for you. An adjustment to flagging and reflect might be just that easy, who knows? Worth a shot.

halygon

Grandmaster
Well it is true that everyone has to deal with it on the same level, but that doesn't mean we can't ask for change. Even if there are bigger fish to fry this could be a really simple fix.

Hell, if you page staff will come to your house and help decorate it for you (turning/fixing bugged objects) or layer your bone mask for you. An adjustment to flagging and reflect might be just that easy, who knows? Worth a shot.
Sure take the logical route...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

eric_azria

Grandmaster
let common sense step in real fast for everyone here

it's broke, it's been addressed about 10 times in the past, and it needs to be fixed

If you attack someone, you shouldn't be able to wait until their spell reflect is down to flag on them.

Fix it, everyone else who argues this case can eat a bag of dicks, because you're clueless and are a major factor in why a lot of things are fucked up still (ie; wasting staffs time with irrelevant bullshit about you think something should work)

the end