A few ideas...

Struan

Expert
The crux of the idea is it should be harder to play a criminal. Not because you fear the penalty box but because game mechanics are in place that make it more challenging. Successful criminal game play should be end game stuff, done by those who are highly skilled at the game and know the tactics/mechanics thoroughly.

Ultimately I think this means more fun for them and overall less dying for everyone else. It also gives people something to work for......ever hear someone ask "Are you good enough to be a PK/thief?". I never have...but you should.

It may seem counter intuitive to say that removing statloss will make the situation better but if some minor wing clipping occurred at the same time, the near immediate result would be fewer criminals. The current system promotes more pks, rolling in groups and noob attacks.

Hoodfigure. I am completely on board... there should be accountability. But..

The traditional penalty box approach does not and will never work, regardless of whether you go heads and temp or death and perm stat loss. All this does is promote multiple PKs per account and rolling groups. This happens because it effectively circumvents those systems and makes the criminal element close ranks to avoid death based penalties.

More ideas...:

If you are grey, thief or PK:

- greatly increased failure rate for hiding or stealthing in areas that are lit. This one should be for everyone really. Hiding in plain sight...Ugg.
- thieves get 1-2 second delay on stealing a disarmed weapon
- from original post...but all criminals greys/thieves/reds have increased stam loss
- criminals - reduced travel speed. say 5%-10%. (their crimes weigh heavily on them and make them slightly slower)
- thieves go grey to the person they stole from..always, even on successful steals.
- regular greys can't gate, they have to wait to turn blue
- thieves/pks have a 3 minute timer from a kill/steal where they can't use gates
- criminals can't throw expl pots as far - 20% distance reduction (their arms are so tired from strangling cats they can't toss it those last few feet)

No directly nerfing combat abilities..ie reducing healing amounts or damage outputs..but the associated parts of the skill, like timers or distance can/should be modified slightly to put the criminal at a disadvantage.

If you add financial or penalty box punishments to criminal behavior all that happens is you force them into a protective state. This means rolling in groups and/or attacking noobs. No one in UO should be concerned about dying..or have consequences for it.

All i see on this shard everywhere is risk versus reward. If all the reds are in statloss then where is the risk for tamers????? Right there isnt none.

Budcookie

Grandmaster
I hate touching on this topic. One, I hate reds, gank squad bitches even more. Two, hunting with no risk at all would make this game boreing as hell and I dont think we need anything that makes trammel. Three, if I was good enough to kill a pk attacking my bard, id stat him instantly, he shows no mercy so neither do I. I do think 48hrs is way too long, I rereg and im back at it in15 minutes. Certainly should not be able to stat reds if you are blue pvping, thats just a ***** move. Problem is finding the balance, you guys,Jenny is the worst, talk a lot of shit about trammies but without them the server would die. Strictly pvm guys that ***** about reds are just as bad, no pks means no fun and server dies. Basically we are stuck the way it is so ill see yet ganking asses at bloods or fire and if I get my recall off before you 3, and you know who u are, get me then haha I was faster, if not then its cherios for my ass and you can enjoy what ever gold I made. All in fun, stob being so butthurt, but I do cuss at the comp when I get pked, even though I wouldnt change it.

Dellan

Grandmaster
Don't touch thieves, and reds neither. Problem of this game is not settings nor mechanics here, they're quite okay. Problem is on player side. People play this game like it's Quake 3. For god's sake, it's MMO RPG. You can't go solo on rest of the world and have any hope of winning. Why don't you play it the way it's meant to be played? Oh my, there are evil red bandits in the mountains, what shall I do? Shall I arm myself and go Rambo on them, though I'm sure I will die? Yes, I will, and then go and cry on forums how unfair it is. Same goes for reds. Omg, blue zerg, so unfair.. I will go and ***** on forums. If they outnumber you 20 to 1, then it's not their fault, you'd act the same. It is your fault, if people gang up on you, you have to join group of same minded individuals like you so you fights are fair and square. Create a law force, create a force of evil, clash together, and start using your heads. Why do you think there are only 700 points where you can distribute skills, and not 8000000 points so you can have every skill there is? Think about it.. Maybe because of cooperation? Because people are forced this way to get together?

Same with thieves - all I see on the streets are wannabe thieves harrasing all of 'em poor citizens, who then come on forums to cry a river and give useless ideas how to nerf thieves, but where are cops, huh? Where is the fuzz? Where are good minded players acting as cops, protecting property of honest citizens? There are ways how to find out if guy is perma without getting yourself gwhacked in the process. Forensics are not useless, same as detect hidden. Believe me, I play nothing else but my thief char, and so far, I met only one guy with Detect, and it was devastating meeting, since you simply can't hide so fast or keep invising yourself as his skill recharges faster and costs nothing. In UO, there are skills, and their counter skills. So fucking use them, get together, and react to your surroundings like real RPG players. And IDDQD, quad damage and rocket jumps don't work here, remember that.

VonNeumann

Apprentice
Do you think people wouldn't mind PKs as much if they ressed / gated after PKing and didn't always dry loot? Ive been brainstorming a system that would reduce statloss effects for more merciful PKs giving them an incentive to not be complete dicks.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Budcookie

Grandmaster
It certainly takes the sting out of losing my gold, if I want to hunt low end spawn and no risk I certainly have that option,I like vloods and pyros, I figure I make about 15k for every death and lose about 1 to 3 k on death so its not hurting me at all. I do respect the solo pks may more than the gank squads, especially when they cry about blue zergs, turn about is fair play imho.

Ultimecia

Neophyte
Reds crying about statloss when they are running around ruining others game experience griefing.

Priceless!

Lexington

Grandmaster
Reds crying about statloss when they are running around ruining others game experience griefing.

Priceless!

FYI......... This is Ultima Online. Player killing is part of the game experience… it has been part of the game experience since its launch... ;)

It doesn’t matter what side of the fight you’re on, its the adrenalin rush!

Last edited by a moderator:

hoodfigure

Master
I dont mind reds, I do mind reds that complain about buying their head for 10-15k, when they can easily roll 10 fold that amount before dying even solo. The cap is 50k, and hardly anyone pays that.

Ultimecia

Neophyte
FYI......... This is Ultima Online. Player killing is part of the game experience… it has been part of the game experience since its launch... ;)

It doesn’t matter what side of the fight you’re on, its the adrenalin rush!

FYI this is UOForever not Ultima Online at launch. Statloss was permanent. Reds back then are not the same as they are today. VOIP has brought ganking to a whole different level. I have some respect for solo pks, but those don't exist anymore..

Lexington

Grandmaster
FYI this is UOForever not Ultima Online at launch. Statloss was permanent. Reds back then are not the same as they are today. VOIP has brought ganking to a whole different level. I have some respect for solo pks, but those don't exist anymore..

Sure they do... I'm one of them

kurtis

Grandmaster
I disagree that reds should have game mechanics tilt against them. The UO murder system has always punished reds upon their death. It has never decreased their viability in a fair fight in a way that makes their death more likely. The risk has always been about the risk of dying. That's what makes PKing exciting. Removing any punishment for death removes the thrill. And being encumbered with altered game mechanics is just annoying.

Struan

Expert
Don't you think the historic time penalty approach specifically promotes group PKs?

Maybe i'm off base but it seems to me like a lot of the PKs don't want to die because of the "time away from game" punishment. They seek out security against dying by rolling in groups.

What I'm trying to find is something that would be be a deterrent to playing a red without punishment on death...sorry correct that..without a time away punishment on death.

The game always needs gold sinks. How about a straight up financial penalty on death?

The other concept that I believe in is that criminal toons, either by penalty or handicap should be harder to play.

I agree with the statements about how it should be the community that polices itself. That has never happened. That was the hope of the original UO team. They were astounded at how cruel and violent players were to each other. They were not able to curb that with perm statloss or any other mechanics...to the point they started losing subscriptions..so they created trammel. Blue murders and thieves were a significant contributor to the problem, it certainly was not PKs alone.

See Raph Koster's website, he talks extensively about the social failure pre-trammel. So to say that it worked fine may be missing the mark.

His writing is what really convinced me that the only way to affect change is though mechanics. People will always be as terrible as they can be to each other to the extent the game mechanics allow.

So either things are fine as they are or a mechanics solution needs to be tried.

limlight

Grandmaster
I think bounty should be capped at 10k. 1k for every 10 counts. Capped at 100 kills.
Everytime your head is turned in you go back to 10 counts or 50
Caveat would be you r in statloss until you payup. So statloss will be 1 minute or forever. But price would be capped. This 50k shit is lame

Its win win..reds dont get lame ass offers of 50k...blues are guaranteed money until they are paid.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

+1 to limlight (was writing out almost the exact same idea when he posted), only problem I see with this idea is have a guild blue kill all the PKers and turn in their heads and just give the money back so if they were killed out actually pking it would only be <1k loss. There would have to be a 2.5k min or something to ensure this doesn't happen. Also would probably be a good idea to have the penalty a partial gold sink (1/3 sink, 2/3 to player).

Also would make the no loot/rez completely extinct (although it is endangered already), every kill would be a coffin sweep.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kraden

Grandmaster
I think to fix the pk problem they should make it so if a blue gets pked by one guy then that guys ip gets banned. If he gets killed by two guys then they both have to have intercourse in the pooper with no lube. In both occasions the blue player has to walk into oncoming traffic with a blindfold on for no less then 1000 feet. Ps that was the dumbest thing i could think of saying but was prolly still better than half the crap i this thread. Blues crying cause they die to reds. Reds cryig cause blues are crying and charge alot for their head. All the while both sides roll both sides in game and can farm 100k in an hour lol. Dam im bored