A few ideas...

CoreyMasterson

Neophyte
I actually like the idea of making pking more challenging as opposed to totally removing pks. Though the stat loss thing seems like more of an antipk incentive in order to make some cash on heads.

In the interest of full discolsure, I'm not a pk, though I really appreciate that aspect of the game. I always thought it'd be cool if there was more of an inscentive for pks to go solo (aside from not having to split loot), and that might encourage solo blues not to immediately run away if they know they might stand a fighting chance. That being said I really don't have any good suggestions for how to go about this

Struan

Expert
Good post Kraden.

The ideas and suggestions forum is for presenting ideas and suggestions. There is a trolling forum that is perfect for you.

I highly doubt that was the dumbest thing you could say. Given your diction, punctuation and thought grouping that is probably gold star prose compared to the mumbled salivations you sputter at people in real life.

If you are bored please spend your time taking more selfies or trying to finish up that GED. If you buckle down its probably only two more years.

Lexington

Grandmaster
I agree with the statements about how it should be the community that polices itself. That has never happened. That was the hope of the original UO team. They were astounded at how cruel and violent players were to each other. They were not able to curb that with perm statloss or any other mechanics...to the point they started losing subscriptions..so they created trammel. Blue murders and thieves were a significant contributor to the problem, it certainly was not PKs alone.

The idea with the current bounty system enticing the community to police its self didn’t work because for whatever reasons the player base would not pay the bounty. What if the reward for killing a RED's, damn we could ever extend it to GREY's, was paid by Lord British? Would that not give us an incentive to police ourselves? You could even make it a higher reward depending on the amount of criminal activity. Something like this might create enough anti PKs where you could remove stat loss???

PS: This would never work as you would have players abuse this system buy killing themselves? Maybe someone could figure out a full proof way to stop it @Carl :)?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dellan

Grandmaster
Lex has good idea. Bounty payed by game.. 1 coin per murder count that murderer has. Heck, made it even platinum coin. Something like "faction" sort of thing, they get silver for killing each other, this would work same way. But how dafuq make people stop abusing it, yea.. Lowering the time for statloss? Some number of hours so they don't kill their own red for few coins, however not so long to be as harsh as it is now? I'm not sure there is any bulletproof way to stop this abuse, since even if you'd add some kinda watchdog for same ip adress, they can always ask someone else..

CoreyMasterson

Neophyte
Anything that incentivized self policing is a great idea. I like lex's idea of game-paid bounties, which would also make the statloss system moot. As far as abuse, there's no perfect system but hopefully there'd be a way to reduce it as much as possible. Any Modifications that could contribute to self policing would be great, dellan I liked your idea of updating the forensic evaluation skill.

What about a form of social welfare paid for by pk's??? Imagine if it was a 200gp per kill and 50gp per assist (you were attacking a blue at time of death) since last beheading fee to avoid stat loss that was paid as a PK Tax to Lord British (would keep most noobs safe as they aren't worth the 200gp) and whatever PK taxes are taken every month each account gets a Tax claim certificate and has 1 week to claim their portion of the tax refund. Could also be some form of conversion to use it as a gold sink, maybe 1 platinum per 50gp collected in taxes. Anything left unclaimed will be rolled into the next month's refund (or maybe not). Most extremely rich players wouldn't even bother picking up their 15 platnum each month while it would help noobs and new players get a jump start.
I believe this would accomplish a number of things: Diminish incentive for pk's to hunt noob areas, possibly de-incentivize pack hunting as if you have 7 PK's kill one person the fee would be 500gp total, help new players get a little cash and possibly make them stay, create more incentive for PVP as the more kills you have on both sides the more you tax refund will be, would eliminate team kills to avoid fee.
I know this sounds rather communist but it might work... Any thoughts?

Saker

Neophyte
I think bounty should be capped at 10k. 1k for every 10 counts. Capped at 100 kills.
Everytime your head is turned in you go back to 10 counts or 50
Caveat would be you r in statloss until you payup. So statloss will be 1 minute or forever. But price would be capped. This 50k shit is lame

Its win win..reds dont get lame ass offers of 50k...blues are guaranteed money until they are paid.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

This is the best idea in the thread.

As someone currently only on the receiving end of red ganks, even I think the 48 hour stat loss is BS and gives reds the wrong incentive.

Required bounty payment with stat loss until paid puts an actual punishment on reds on their death (48 hour stat loss just means they roll a diff char for a while) but isn't so heavy that they feel they have to stay in big groups. This also puts an actual punishment on the blues who only pull out their red once in a blue moon when they feel like a quick gank. Right now they have essentially no punishment as a 48 hour stat loss doesn't affect someone who only plays that char once a week anyway.

While I like the idea of the permanent reduction of support skills for criminals in theory(makes playing a red require more skill), in practice this would seem to have the same incentive to only roll in groups that currently exists.

Red punishment should be expensive, but not preventing them from playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lexington

Grandmaster
We can all come up with great ideas tell the end of time but until the developers start reading them they are all worthless. I surf the forms often, during work hours hehe, and I can't remember the last time a developer commented on a player suggestion?

Dellan

Grandmaster
^ Yea, true. We could really use UO god here to bestow his opinion on this subject upon us. And limlight....

+100000000000000