A Possible Solution to The Problem of PvP

Winstonian

Grandmaster
Course it will bother me just as much, though UOF has done a remarkable job managing the economy, there is still a ton of gold out there. The whole thing just seems wasted. Mythic has been trying to get the stale pvp scene happening for years (special weapons, artifacts and armors) without much success.
Get involved in pvp if that makes you happy. Pvm if that floats your boat. Hell, pk everyone if that gets your privates all tingling. I just don't see a reasonable chance that a "financial reward drop" or some special wearables as being the catalyst that changes some dudes play style.
I can explain exactly why it would change his/her play style: right now, they PvM to make money. Whether that be relics, power scrolls, skill scrolls, gold... money is the driving force. If there were that same incentive backing PvP, players would also join in, because his/her interest in satisfied from either option. But the structure has to cater to both solo and group play styles.

Winstonian

Grandmaster
Please give us more details if you have the time

I would like to hear your views

Thanks
I've always believed that there should be more viable mage builds.

I feel that Alchemy should be required for potions to deal relevant damage, and that tactics should be modified to prevent potions from splashing. I feel that poisoning should be reworked to make it PvP viable.

Assuming the standard 4x mage skills are:
Magery
Meditation
Evaluating Intelligence
Resisting Spells

Players would have to choose between stun (Wrestling and Anatomy) and a final skill (Poisoning, Inscription, Healing, even Hiding) or throwing potions (Alchemy and Tactics), which would require either Wrestling or Anatomy for defense. This would divide the current stun/pot meta mage build... instead, you'd see stun mages running around with other skills, or throwing pot mages without stun. Both would have their strengths, and you'd see different mages on the field... which should be the case anyway.

Running is absolutely an issue on UOF, and there are undoubtedly ways to try and curb it, but giving everyone throwing potions to use in non-running situations isn't that solution.

Bobby123

Grandmaster

I feel that Alchemy should be required for potions to deal relevant damage, and that tactics should be modified to prevent potions from splashing. I feel that poisoning should be reworked to make it PvP viable.

Magery
Meditation
Evaluating Intelligence
Resisting Spells

Players would have to choose between stun (Wrestling and Anatomy) and a final skill (Poisoning, Inscription, Healing, even Hiding) or throwing potions (Alchemy and Tactics), which would require either Wrestling or Anatomy for defense. This would divide the current stun/pot meta mage build... instead, you'd see stun mages running around with other skills, or throwing pot mages without stun. Both would have their strengths, and you'd see different mages on the field... which should be the case anyway.

Running is absolutely an issue on UOF, and there are undoubtedly ways to try and curb it, but giving everyone throwing potions to use in non-running situations isn't that solution.

Interesting ideas you have there .

Zog'orium

Grandmaster
I can explain exactly why it would change his/her play style: right now, they PvM to make money. Whether that be relics, power scrolls, skill scrolls, gold... money is the driving force. If there were that same incentive backing PvP, players would also join in, because his/her interest in satisfied from either option. But the structure has to cater to both solo and group play styles.

The same pvm players that work a spawn, get raided and killed and won't log in on a char to come back and fight for the spawn? Those same players are more apt to get on forums and complain about the red population at end game content that even try to fight back. Maybe it get's some players logging in more frequently or not shard hopping if brings better fights. But Average Joe won't like it and go back to farming mass millions with his meta.

Winstonian

Grandmaster
The same pvm players that work a spawn, get raided and killed and won't log in on a char to come back and fight for the spawn? Those same players are more apt to get on forums and complain about the red population at end game content that even try to fight back. Maybe it get's some players logging in more frequently or not shard hopping if brings better fights. But Average Joe won't like it and go back to farming mass millions with his meta.
Surely you see a difference between being ganked on a PvM character at a spawn over consensually joining in structured PvP with a PvP character, especially when a metric like damage, and not kills, is the standard.

Zog'orium

Grandmaster
Surely I do. I also think that the the majority of the pvm'ers are not going to be interested in it and the ones that may try it out will quickly tire of dying to high level pvpers and losing their loots.

Winstonian

Grandmaster
Surely I do. I also think that the the majority of the pvm'ers are not going to be interested in it and the ones that may try it out will quickly tire of dying to high level pvpers and losing their loots.
As I've said before, if the potential reward was great, most would participate. If some stopped being interested, oh well... the PvPers are now potentially getting rewards for PvPing, as are those that decided to stick with it. Hence, PvP became more active.

drasked

Grandmaster

Magery
Meditation
Evaluating Intelligence
Resisting Spells

Not exactly sure what you mean by "tactics should be modified to prevent potions from splashing." but if you mean that gm tactics is needed to throw potions it would pretty much eliminate stun/alchy as a 1v1 option while keeping alchy dexers as the strongest 1v1 template. Horrible suggestion.

Meanwhile In group pvp alchy is still kind of bad, most people are using stun/scribes and tamer/scribes. Heal/stun mage is still a great option as well, used a lot.

Winstonian

Grandmaster
Not exactly sure what you mean by "tactics should be modified to prevent potions from splashing." but if you mean that gm tactics is needed to throw potions it would pretty much eliminate stun/alchy as a 1v1 option while keeping alchy dexers as the strongest 1v1 template. Horrible suggestion.

Meanwhile In group pvp alchy is still kind of bad, most people are using stun/scribes and tamer/scribes. Heal/stun mage is still a great option as well, used a lot.
It means exactly what it says: tactics would prevent potions from splashing. I also love how you assume that nothing else could be modified for balancing... as if, after this change, and without any sort of tweaking and testing, one class is tremendously overpowered and everything is set in stone. Ridiculous.

You could always realize that it was just a suggestion, and could be changed to a different skill. For example: Item Identification, instead of Tactics, could be required to prevent splashing. That way, dexers have to either avoid expl potions or work Item Id into their build.

I see explosion potions thrown constantly, and many have admitted that alchy/stun is the clear-cut meta mage build. If other builds are being used: great. This would then only make other builds competitive in mage 1v1, which is the intent.

drasked

Grandmaster
It means exactly what it says: tactics would prevent potions from splashing. I also love how you assume that nothing else could be modified for balancing... as if, after this change, and without any sort of tweaking and testing, one class is tremendously overpowered and everything is set in stone. Ridiculous.

You could always realize that it was just a suggestion, and could be changed to a different skill. For example: Item Identification, instead of Tactics, could be required to prevent splashing. That way, dexers have to either avoid expl potions or work Item Id into their build.

I see explosion potions thrown constantly, and many have admitted that alchy/stun is the clear-cut meta mage build. If other builds are being used: great. This would then only make other builds competitive in mage 1v1, which is the intent.

I think you're overhyping alchy a bit much and don't really understand the mechanics.

toddyboi

Master
Alright, two questions: 1) what's the premier 1v1 pure mage build, and 2) do potions splash in town?
No one is going waste 100 skill for splash damage. Also poisoning skill has been discuss numerous occasions, you can only tweak it very little before becomes OP. You're asking to change major mechanics in pvp here for people that just want to "casually" pvp.

If there are incentives for PvP I'll tell you now the casual pvper is never going to have a chance against seasoned vets, they'll would get crushed so hard, the competitive nature of PvP will drive them away.

StegcO

Grandmaster
Poisoning can be revamped adding N% to apply poison while casting every spell + N% deadly poison while casting poison spell.
Malee poisoner no bonus cause they already can dp weapon on the run.

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
If there are incentives for PvP I'll tell you now the casual pvper is never going to have a chance against seasoned vets, they'll would get crushed so hard, the competitive nature of PvP will drive them away.

Strangely not every PvM'r is as successful as some of the veteran PvM'rs here, and yet they continue to keep playing, because there is some incentive. Your right, the vets will still be vets, but if it's a system that rewards effort (ie. damage done, versus kills), than people will still be able to make headway towards an end goal.

In some ways, faction silver, and being able to farm mobs, and buy stuff with silver, was actually a fairly good system, because players could make headway on things they wanted to buy, even if they weren't successful against the veteran PvP'rs.

StegcO

Grandmaster
The biggest change we will have in pvp, in my own opinion, is revamping all the weapons type, adding special bonus (like +1 tile attack for helbard ecc) and balancing all the type in a general way,

StegcO

Grandmaster

to be honest this affect every videogame, if you play fifa 10 minutes a day you can never beat someone that play 2 hours each day :D

Winstonian

Grandmaster
No one is going waste 100 skill for splash damage. Also poisoning skill has been discuss numerous occasions, you can only tweak it very little before becomes OP. You're asking to change major mechanics in pvp here for people that just want to "casually" pvp.

There are obviously areas of balance between "unusable" and "OP". Like anything else, the skill would be tested and the skills balanced. And if no one wanted to waste 100 skill to prevent potions from splashing, you wouldn't see alchy mages in town. In a thread geared towards getting casual players into structured PvP, it sounds great.

I don't disagree with your second paragraph, but that's my point: if the incentive is based around playing and not kills, that casual player is still gaining towards his/her goal. If I, as a casual player, died 50 times in structured PvP to groups of seasoned vets, but still finished in the top 10 of damage done and earned one of the rewards, it would be time well spent. Not only that, with the influx of casual players in PvP, you'd see casual players grouping up to take down the big groups, which is the way UO used to be.

drasked

Grandmaster
In some ways, faction silver, and being able to farm mobs, and buy stuff with silver, was actually a fairly good system, because players could make headway on things they wanted to buy, even if they weren't successful against the veteran PvP'rs.

From a pvp perspective it was a pretty bad system. Farming silver via PVM made it worth a lot less. Most of the silver generated had nothing to do with pvp.

Bromista

Grandmaster
That's very true. And while it did cause some fights in places and on characters that might not have ordinarily been getting action, plenty of times I was out farming silver and ran into an OJ PvMer friend that I struck up a friendly conversation with...lol.