A Possible Solution to The Problem of PvP

drasked

Grandmaster
Not picking on you drasked, but I'm looking at this in more of a failure analysis. (No, not saying you're a failure but how specifically did it fail you) I honestly thought the BG's and arenas were great additions for the game, even though they were still flawed, but I'm genuinely curious about the other viewpoints.

If we break it down you made 2 points (instanced pvp) and (grind)

Why do you hate instanced pvp instead of world pvp. Is it that you like the possibility of hugely imbalanced fights, the size of the play area, no time limits, or was this a non point in comparison to your next one, which was turning pvp into a grind. In that one I wholeheartedly agree with you on the grind aspect, it sucked that they forced pretty much everybody into it.

I'd also like to know if you genuinely want PVP or just the ability to murder and loot people. There is a difference, as steamrolling a blue farming in a dungeon with 3-4 pk's is not pvp, it's just simply ganking them. When I'm asking about PvP I want to know if you want a true honest to goodness fight for every kill you get, every night. (ganking legitimately is what some people get their enjoyment out of, and why they play UO, but I'm trying to gauge if the PVP community, the ones requesting PVP, actually want that or just want to retain their ability to gank someone on a whim)

The whole instanced approach takes away from the mmo concept imo. Other games also provided a lot better experience in that regard, stuff like CS or dota for example.

I prefer milita group fights.

Winstonian

Grandmaster
relaxed pk rules ?

you die you 2 days out thats not relaxed
I hate this nonsense. Please, change the rules so all three accounts are locked for 2 days and I'll never call the rules relaxed again. The truth is, 3 accounts on a shard with fast skill gain and multi-clienting makes temporary stat loss much less a certainty, so targeting PvM characters is practically low risk, high reward. But you know all of this.

toddyboi

Master
You sound like a frustrated pvmer... 1. How much time have you spent learning how to defend yourself? 2. Have you left 1 or 2 skills in your template to be able to defend yourself? 3. Do you have an escape strategy if you do come across a griefer/pk? 4. Have you considered joining a guild to help defend/train you? There are so many solutions to your problem with pks/griefers but it sounds like you just want to be left alone to do your thing. At the end of the day you joined a server that is felucca era uo and pks are part of that era.

Even a seasoned vet is going to die on his Pvm char against a highly skilled pker with a dp wep + explodes or a gank. Take some time to learn how to defend yourself and you'll enjoy your experience so much more.

Winstonian

Grandmaster
You sound like a frustrated pvmer... 1. How much time have you spent learning how to defend yourself? 2. Have you left 1 or 2 skills in your template to be able to defend yourself? 3. Do you have an escape strategy if you do come across a griefer/pk? 4. Have you considered joining a guild to help defend/train you? There are so many solutions to your problem with pks/griefers but it sounds like you just want to be left alone to do your thing. At the end of the day you joined a server that is felucca era uo and pks are part of that era.

Even a seasoned vet is going to die on his Pvm char against a highly skilled pker with a dp wep + explodes or a gank. Take some time to learn how to defend yourself and you'll enjoy your experience so much more.
Not once did that poster say or imply that he didn't want PKs here... just that there should be a more balanced fight. I'd love it if a player who attacks an innocent player couldn't offscreen. It would be hilarious.

Kyain

Master

You do realize you just reiterated exactly what I'm saying though right, in that there is no real challenge in that fight whatsoever. You yourself just admitted that an experienced player on a pvm template doesn't even stand a chance against a pk, so you've confirmed the fact that there is absolutely no risk for them.

And I'm not frustrated... I MAYBE get pk'd once every 3-4 days now, because I've adapted, chosen different spots, different playstyle. I also said up above that I actually enjoy the cat and mouse game, and if nothing changes it's not like I'm leaving. I'm trying to come up with options though to give the 'pvp'ers that want more pvp' some more pvp.

Think of it in some different aspects. Lets use cars for example.

You drive a nice ram1500 or something, not a shit vehicle by any means. But me... I drive a corvette, cuz my D is huge. I walk up to you and say we're racing for pinks, right now, and you have no say about it. Obviously there isn't a chance in hell a stock ram 1500 is going to beat a c7 corvette, but you're given absolutely no choice and no way to even the odds on that. You just lost your brand new 60k truck and there was nothing you could do, other then maybe get away in the half second before I said we're racing.

Now if you put in some handicap (like they do in bracket racing) then the truck has a chance. It may be given a 4-5 second headstart, but at the end, all things equal, the race SHOULD be a dead tie. I could still beat you, but I could also make just the tiniest of mistakes and lose to you, and then at that point you have your truck and my corvette. At least now there is actual competition involved in this, some skill is involved, and maybe you secretly test your reaction times on simulators or something, I don't know this going in. That makes me question trying to take every vehicle I see on the road....

So where does it all wrap back towards? Do you actually want PVP, or do you want free kills against pvm'ers who have no chance? (like even you stated in your post)

Volros

Neophyte
Maybe boost militia participation... allow guilds with top pvp scores to access instanced farming dungeons? Right now all my effort goes to gold farming because it will take me 2+ more years to buy a single 120 powerscroll for my tamer or a double strike relic for my broken zerker. All along the way I'm killed by pk's who literally do nothing but chuck explosion pots and chase you down with dp'd katanas/krysses. I've been pk'd at an accelerating rate, as I think more and more are getting frustrated and changing over to playing reds. Spots that used to be safe now have pk's running through every other run or so. I'm about done with this server between the high cost to acquire exciting gear and the amount of griefers to farming content ratio. Don't know why I'm venting though... not like anything will change.

girana

Grandmaster
I hate this nonsense. Please, change the rules so all three accounts are locked for 2 days and I'll never call the rules relaxed again. The truth is, 3 accounts on a shard with fast skill gain and multi-clienting makes temporary stat loss much less a certainty, so targeting PvM characters is practically low risk, high reward. But you know all of this.

how you want make all 3 acc go statloss thats just not possible.

K A Z

Grandmaster
and while these trammies are "trying to get the pvpers more pvp" there is militia action nearly ever damn night.. gimme a fucking break u noobs.

Bromista

Grandmaster
Relax, elitist. We know our own kind, and you should be thankful for any suggestions that would likely bring more fodder to the small amount of hardcore PvPs this server has to offer.

And reward you for killing them so you don't have to live the hard knock life so much and bang on PvMers to pay for the party.

You're ripping just the merr thought of a server with more concentrated and worthwhile activity.

Yo what the fuck.

I'll say it again for the people in the back, the best suggestion leaves a 24/7 militia or faction system in place. You can have your couple random fights per day, sometimes more during events or weekends. However if you put everyone on a level playing field and assign rewards accordingly and encourage participation in an [eventscore type system you get more people participating than you do when it's just for funsies. That is a no-brainer.

I used to top the eventscore and PvP leaderboards. Never duels because there was nothing in it for me because i dont cobsider duels to be fun. Even eithout rewards I still topped the leaderboards for most of the last couple years. Guess who can't be bothered to maintain his position because it's the same old shit with no incentive other than a number next to my name?

Yeah that's right, me motherfucker. Motivate me to fight and I'll come running. Don't and I'm gonna fall off just like kaz here lol

K A Z

Grandmaster
Relax, elitist. We know our own kind, and you should be thankful for any suggestions that would likely bring more fodder to the small amount of hardcore PvPs this server has to offer.

And reward you for killing them so you don't have to live the hard knock life so much and bang on PvMers to pay for the party.

You're ripping just the merr thought of a server with more concentrated and worthwhile activity.

Yo what the fuck.

I'll say it again for the people in the back, the best suggestion leaves a 24/7 militia or faction system in place. You can have your couple random fights per day, sometimes more during events or weekends. However if you put everyone on a level playing field and assign rewards accordingly and encourage participation in an [eventscore type system you get more people participating than you do when it's just for funsies. That is a no-brainer.

I used to top the eventscore and PvP leaderboards. Never duels because there was nothing in it for me because i dont cobsider duels to be fun. Even eithout rewards I still topped the leaderboards for most of the last couple years. Guess who can't be bothered to maintain his position because it's the same old shit with no incentive other than a number next to my name?

Yeah that's right, me motherfucker. Motivate me to fight and I'll come running. Don't and I'm gonna fall off just like kaz here lol

so 5 years later, numerous pvp changes later, a new faction-like PVP system later (that has real incentives, especially for PVMers) you still do not PVP regularly because "there is nothing in it for you"? What would this "instanced pvp" change? You'd not lose your - oh my goood - 50 each reg and 15 each pots whenever you die and THAT would make you want to pvp? As fucking if. I do not think that everything in this game needs to have a reward. PVP IMO is already very rewarding with the wands people carry, the weapons dexxers wield and the phat pot bags you can loot. That is not enough for you? Well, then stick to killing mobs and leveling your meta pet.

K A Z

Grandmaster
and to add. If PVM guilds (and most of you guys ARE fucking pvmers) would start to DEFEND their champ spawns (OR their fellow PVMers) there would even be more reward! 35k per head! (OR the guy gets super pissed off because youve just ruined his char for 48 hours!!!) SECURED powerscrolls! You've just successfully defended your champ spawn and not a single scroll was lost!

But nah, we need new systems and then eventually our kewl pvmers will PVP too because it'd be "more rewarding". Fact is that none of y'all would ever start to PVP because you cannot stand dying in UO.

Bromista

Grandmaster
Lol I can't type for shit and didn't bother to proof read but yeah you get the message.

Even without rewards I still did events for fun...for a while...but I hit my limit. Events still need basic functional things fixed within them. Very basic things. I have hit staff up with several good suggestions and fixes that literally no one in their right mind could argue with...but I got nothin.

But yeah I think that's the kind of PvP that motivates me and that I want to see. Militia isn't as hot as you act like it is.

I have no idea what you're talking about, but you seem like the kind of person that enjoys your PvP'ing to consist of ridiculous wrong roof anything goes challenges accompanied by large colorful text anyway. Am I...wrong?

Heh-heh

Bromista

Grandmaster
I thibk militia is dumb, personally. Could have done the same things with factions. I don't want new systems. I want the old eventsocre system back.

Winstonian

Grandmaster
KAZ... come on now. Take a deep breath.

You keep arguing about the incentives for PvP right now, yet casual players and PvMers still don't participate. Why? Because getting ganked by PvP groups simply isn't appealing, and that time could be spent far more constructively. Of course, this logic is lost on you, but it's not lost on the majority of players here.

As Bromista eloquently pointed out, you rage about suggestions that give YOU more players to kill and give YOU significant rewards at the end. If the streets were flooded with bodies to loot, as you clearly enjoy doing, then you'd benefit from this suggestion the most.

More activity. More loot. More shard participation. And a chance at scaling rewards. Keep yelling about any suggestion that caters to "fucking pvmers", but this benefits PvPers the most.

Zog'orium

Grandmaster
You do realize you just reiterated exactly what I'm saying though right, in that there is no real challenge in that fight whatsoever. You yourself just admitted that an experienced player on a pvm template doesn't even stand a chance against a pk, so you've confirmed the fact that there is absolutely no risk for them.

And I'm not frustrated... I MAYBE get pk'd once every 3-4 days now, because I've adapted, chosen different spots, different playstyle. I also said up above that I actually enjoy the cat and mouse game, and if nothing changes it's not like I'm leaving. I'm trying to come up with options though to give the 'pvp'ers that want more pvp' some more pvp.

Think of it in some different aspects. Lets use cars for example.

You drive a nice ram1500 or something, not a shit vehicle by any means. But me... I drive a corvette, cuz my D is huge. I walk up to you and say we're racing for pinks, right now, and you have no say about it. Obviously there isn't a chance in hell a stock ram 1500 is going to beat a c7 corvette, but you're given absolutely no choice and no way to even the odds on that. You just lost your brand new 60k truck and there was nothing you could do, other then maybe get away in the half second before I said we're racing.

Now if you put in some handicap (like they do in bracket racing) then the truck has a chance. It may be given a 4-5 second headstart, but at the end, all things equal, the race SHOULD be a dead tie. I could still beat you, but I could also make just the tiniest of mistakes and lose to you, and then at that point you have your truck and my corvette. At least now there is actual competition involved in this, some skill is involved, and maybe you secretly test your reaction times on simulators or something, I don't know this going in. That makes me question trying to take every vehicle I see on the road....

So where does it all wrap back towards? Do you actually want PVP, or do you want free kills against pvm'ers who have no chance? (like even you stated in your post)

I recall on Atlantic the rule of thumb was - don't leave home with what you can't easily replace. Everyone wants to say they play on a fel based server with great risks. Yet- when some players still get all weird (and makes hundreds of forum posts/threads) when they die to pk's.
I don't know. I think you need to weigh the risks. Do you want a char that can just mow through spawn and reap great rewards or one that is more well rounded and can defend as well.

Bromista

Grandmaster
Yeah if you try to motivate open world or instanced PvP it doesn't really matter which, if there's more bodies and more cheddar everybody wins. Stock, pixels, who cares it all spends.

Winstonian

Grandmaster
I recall on Atlantic the rule of thumb was - don't leave home with what you can't easily replace. Everyone wants to say they play on a fel based server with great risks. Yet- when some players still get all weird (and makes hundreds of forum posts/threads) when they die to pk's.
I don't know. I think you need to weigh the risks. Do you want a char that can just mow through spawn and reap great rewards or one that is more well rounded and can defend as well.
Did you even read his post?

Winstonian

Grandmaster
Yeah if you try to motivate open world or instanced PvP it doesn't really matter which, if there's more bodies and more cheddar everybody wins. Stock, pixels, who cares it all spends.
Exactly. And they win the most, considering this is what they do here. I'm not getting Sallos, so I'll hand over my loot as well. I don't see a downside for them.

Bromista

Grandmaster
And not specifically kaz, maybe to a degree, but some ppl must be content to just migrate guild to guild and server to server to where people are and then find something to complain about and fall off the map entirely when things aren't going in their favor or if there's mechanics they don't like. Wands, bolas, stun tamers, alchy archers, whatever flavor of field tamers that you find unpalatable make sure and let it be known. But on the same hand, heaven forbid people suggest a way around that?

I don't really care about the opinions of short-timers who don't want whatever cheap shit it is that they're doing to be fucked with. I think that is ultimately what it comes down to for a lot of the vocal peoples.