Bad Exploit - Crafting Area and thieves

BeerJedi

Grandmaster
I don't normally complain about the thieves. They make you pay attention when you're doing things. The one issue I've got is when they exploit the system. And here is what I ran into today: I've got no idea how ot fix or what. just reporting the issue:

1. In Crafting area with a pack horse working on some goods. Was not afk in this case as i was tracking material costs, timing, etc.
2. Suddenly the Gaurd does a Strike Down of a thief and/or of my Pet. this is about the one thing I can't figure out. Either the guard wacked my pet when wacking the thief or the Thief managed to 1 shot my pet.
3. Suddenly i'm holding the pack animal back pack in my hands. i can't put in my bags (500+ stones of goods) and I can't move, holding over 600 stones. Nor Can I trade it to a friend. So suddenly i'm stuck.

In the end - due to a misclick - bag hit the ground - thiefs scavenger snags the goods and then stealths through a gate.

So the question I have is :
How did the thief cause my pet to be gaurd wacked. it was obviously planned, as the stealther was waiting for the bag to hit the ground.

BeerJedi

Grandmaster
i should note - i was also stuck because the crafting gump was in the middle of the screen and due to holding a bag, could not close it or open a spell book to gate my ass out.

SidX

Grandmaster
So take this with a grain of salt since I have 0% knowledge of how thieves do this.. I've played a thief for almost a year but I still don't get how people do this.

What I am thinking is maybe the pet was set to guard you, or by default your pets will guard you if you are aggro'd on... and when the thief performed a steal, he got away with it without being guard whacked and thus remained blue. But your pet sensed the aggro and attacked him. Since the thief got away with the steal and was still blue, the pet attacking him got guard whacked.

The only question I have is this-- if the thief stole from you he/she would be permagray. So if your pet attacked the thief I'd think the thief would just go gray immediately and not stay blue. I really don't get it :(

BeerJedi

Grandmaster
Dunno mate: GM response for the first time I've dealt with them on the server was lacking. they pointed me to this thread - and that was it.

http://www.uoforum.com/threads/pack-horse-problem-at-brit-crafting-zone.43358/#post-272777

Which is what you're describing similarly. The issue i have is that getting a ride-able pack animal is a work around, not a fix. PLus, I also think beetles are the stupidest pets in game cause they're but ugly. i even have one thread here:
http://www.uoforum.com/threads/please-add-ridable-pack-horse-and-pack-llama.45206/

Just find it frustrating that this is in place. like i said, don't mind thieves, like pks, they make it interesting. its the abuse of an issue like this that frustrates me.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
If the guards killed your pack horse, then there would not have been a corpse.

Therefore the player killed the horse. He probably snooped it to see how much was inside, then dropped it in the hopes you would loot the bag and then need to put it on the ground.

Pack horses still have their uses, like resource gathering. But I wouldn't bring one to town overloaded with loot hehe

amonseti

Grandmaster
Actually what happened is an illusion.. The timing of everything has confused the situation ..
What im guessing happened is your pet went wild , due to not being fed. and attacked you actually, and got whacked . the area is teaming with theves and one found an opertunity to try and loot the bag from your pet corpse but got whacked himself , in so attempting.. you then grabed the bag from your pet and were in a stuck wtf .. eventually dropped the bag on the ground rendering it free for all..

Weland

Grandmaster

Therefore the player killed the horse. He probably snooped it to see how much was inside, then dropped it in the hopes you would loot the bag and then need to put it on the ground.

Pack horses still have their uses, like resource gathering. But I wouldn't bring one to town overloaded with loot hehe

I agree. It's slower but just haul your butt to the bank or recall back and forth between your house and the crafting area.

Chop

Journeyman
If you have 2 accounts you can use one to deliver crafting materials as needed to your crafter. That's what I do. No way would I go anywhere with a pack animal loaded with goodies in UO these days unless I was totally willing to lose them ;)

Snickle

Grandmaster
Solution
Add "guards" and "all follow me" every two seconds into your macro.
Bring a GM vet and have him heal beetle every 6 seconds.
Never fails me. Thousands of slayers crafted.

Bromista

Grandmaster
Are you sure it wasn't the thief you saw get whacked as he killed your horse? It's entirely possible he loaded up spells and dropped them in order to loot with his nearby alt who he clearly had ready to roll.

Cack

Grandmaster
He prolly precasted an attack spell, hit teh animal, killing it and then walked his happy little ass to the brit gy, rezzed and came back for your ultimate dropping of the bag.
Also I dont think scavenger would pick up a bag of 500 stones .

EnviousGL

Grandmaster
I don't normally complain about the thieves. They make you pay attention when you're doing things. The one issue I've got is when they exploit the system. And here is what I ran into today: I've got no idea how ot fix or what. just reporting the issue:

1. In Crafting area with a pack horse working on some goods. Was not afk in this case as i was tracking material costs, timing, etc.
2. Suddenly the Gaurd does a Strike Down of a thief and/or of my Pet. this is about the one thing I can't figure out. Either the guard wacked my pet when wacking the thief or the Thief managed to 1 shot my pet.
3. Suddenly i'm holding the pack animal back pack in my hands. i can't put in my bags (500+ stones of goods) and I can't move, holding over 600 stones. Nor Can I trade it to a friend. So suddenly i'm stuck.

In the end - due to a misclick - bag hit the ground - thiefs scavenger snags the goods and then stealths through a gate.

So the question I have is :
How did the thief cause my pet to be gaurd wacked. it was obviously planned, as the stealther was waiting for the bag to hit the ground.
if it was a pack BEETLE, it can go wild, and will attack, then gwak..happened to me

BeerJedi

Grandmaster

The only issue is, i didn't loot the bag, I was suddenly holding it.

Blaine the Gypsy

Grandmaster
The only issue is, i didn't loot the bag, I was suddenly holding it.
This happened to me too at one time, but I've never reported it. Instead trying to recreate to understand it better. From what I see is there's an issue with the pet itself and flagging even expanding to summoned pets. If you are blue and the pet is guarding you, someone attacks you, it flags your pet criminal. If you attack an EV you can flag the caster grey to you. It is a serious issue. @Adam @Shane @eppy

[Legato]

Master
Solution
Add "guards" and "all follow me" every two seconds into your macro.
Bring a GM vet and have him heal beetle every 6 seconds.
Never fails me. Thousands of slayers crafted.

what does constatnly healing a pack beetle at crafting area do for you

do people try and continuously flamestrike your beetles or something????

Bromista

Grandmaster
what does constatnly healing a pack beetle at crafting area do for you

do people try and continuously flamestrike your beetles or something????
Maybe not constantly, but yes it does happen. Having a bandage on a loop might be enough to keep someone from getting the kill.