Bounty Hunter System

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
That being said I think the better solution is to encourage more consensual PVP -- I cant speak for everyone, but I know that EQMS will always fight a large faction group vs. PKing innocents farming mobs in a dungeon everyime.

If factions/militas are properly incentivized and people have shit to fight over, there is almost no need to PK.

just my $.02

Lexington

Grandmaster
I cant see a bounty system ... if a pk can die anywhere outside guardzone and be able to buy their head back for X gold.

You'd have to get rid of the whole head buy back thing.

There are some really smart people on the Dev team.... I'm sure they could come up with a non-exploitable system.

Silly Santa

Grandmaster
That being said I think the better solution is to encourage more consensual PVP -- I cant speak for everyone, but I know that EQMS will always fight a large faction group vs. PKing innocents farming mobs in a dungeon everyime.

If factions/militas are properly incentivized and people have shit to fight over, there is almost no need to PK.

just my $.02
If only the faction cap was not removed ....factions would be better. But i know - according to you factions are flawless.

You'd have to get rid of the whole head buy back thing.

There are some really smart people on the Dev team.... I'm sure they could come up with a non-exploitable system.

I doubt it will ever get removed. It serves as a huge gold sink for staff and a lot of pks would be pissed if it got removed. Without the pk head buyback being removed tho - i cant see an effective bounty hunter system being implemented. To organize people to go out - find - and kill PKs is pointless, if a PK can just buy back their head if they die on land.

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
I dont understand.... why is it pointless to kill someone and make them pay 35-100k gold?

Imagine if you died and you had to pay 35-100k to res... wouldnt that be a good incentive for me to PK you(aside from the tears you produce which is our current incentive).

p.s.

What does faction cap have to do with anything here? Doesnt a lack of faction cap allow you to recruit as many people as you want in your own faction guild silly santa? Are you just upset you cant compete with EQMS because no one wants to play with you except Loki?

Lexington

Grandmaster
I dont understand.... why is it pointless to kill someone and make them pay 35-100k gold?

Imagine if you died and you had to pay 35-100k to res... wouldnt that be a good incentive for me to PK you(aside from the tears you produce which is our current incentive).

The only thing that's ever incentivized people to kill PKs was the ability to force them out of the game for x amount of time. It's the ultimate revenge for their griefing.... 35k gold is almost as insignificant as a poker blind.

p.s.

What does faction cap have to do with anything here? Doesnt a lack of faction cap allow you to recruit as many people as you want in your own faction guild silly santa? Are you just upset you cant compete with EQMS because no one wants to play with you except Loki?

You can't honestly believe that there's no need for a faction cap... I know you're not that naïve Glutt.

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
The only thing that's ever incentivized people to kill PKs was the ability to force them out of the game for x amount of time. It's the ultimate revenge for their griefing.... 35k gold is almost as insignificant as a poker blind.

You can't honestly believe that there's no need for a faction cap... I know you're not that naïve Glutt.

Whats the need for a faction cap again? You think an artificial system will stop EQMS from playing together? The real issue others lack to organize and group up -- if youre having trouble, lower you join fee or make your group a more attractive option for new players.

girana

Grandmaster
You don't have a single positive idea... you're just here to say it can't be done. How bout you tell us what can be done?

make pvp slower/less itembased so its more accesable for new players
remove sigil bonus and make 1 faction per ip
make anhk & exodus dungeon trammel ruleset (half loot & xp gain) add 1 champ per dungeon with 1 + 50% chance for 2nd powerscroll no relics.

Lexington

Grandmaster
Whats the need for a faction cap again? You think an artificial system will stop EQMS from playing together? The real issue others lack to organize and group up -- if youre having trouble, lower you join fee or make your group a more attractive option for new players.

Were kind of off track here but.......... I don't have any issue once so ever with how big you make your guild. Make your guild as large as you want... war who ever you want as that should be your right.

The server issue, not mine, is that fractions was originally designed to incentivise consensual PVP and to give perks for those who participate. Because UOF currently allows unbalanced faction numbers you have essentially chassed away the majority of consensual PVP it's designed to promote... and you are allowing members to profit from faction perks when they don't participate in the faction fights. Aside from this, and it's hard to believe, but because of this flawed system you've single handily chassed away and or crippled some of the best UOF PVP guilds.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lexington

Grandmaster
make pvp slower/less itembased so its more accesable for new players
remove sigil bonus and make 1 faction per ip
make anhk & exodus dungeon trammel ruleset (half loot & xp gain) add 1 champ per dungeon with 1 + 50% chance for 2nd powerscroll no relics.

I'm with you on the less item based PVP... its too bad the automated scripting couldn't be restricted as well. PVP was way more fun when you couldn't scripted it out the ass.

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
There's already an auto-buyback/bounty system that isn't used. So long as statloss is little more than a slap on the wrist (48 hour cap) and PKers can roll multiple characters, bounties will be pointless.

If when you turned in a head with bounties on it it imposed a permanent statloss with increasing penalties the higher the bounty, then that's how you would avoid abuse. Want to turn in your own 100K bounty? Cool. Take a permanent -28.5 points out of every skill and stat. That cuts out the abuse pretty quick.

I think I've gotten 3 bounties since October out of 40-ish stats. Most folks say, "Go ahead and stat, I'm off to bed anyway" or "go fuck yourself" with a counter offer of 1 gold. They don't care. That's proof that the current stat loss system is meaningless. If you want a bounty system that cannot be abused, then we would need to impose stronger penalties for being a PKer.

I only have 1 red, and when I've gotten statted, I just kill on my blue. If I go red? No big deal, my main will be out of stat shortly thereafter and I'll just run my "blue" during my off-hours to burn off those counts to turn him blue. Now if there was perma statloss, or even no cap on the temporary statloss (that's the more realistic issue), you can bet your ass I'd start considering paying gold to get out of that. Right now, I get statted with a theoretical "no cap" statloss, my character would be out for almost 6 days (275ish counts). I would likely pay the money to avoid that. But 48 hours? I got other things I do, other games I play, not to mention other characters to run; 48 hours is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Want bounty hunting? Make the bounties worth hunting, and make them worth paying.

Cerebellum

Grandmaster
Aside from this, and it's hard to believe, but because of this flawed system you've single handily chassed away and or crippled some of the best UOF PVP guilds.

Which is exactly what @GluttonySDS wants. He doesn't want PVP, he wants his guild to have so many members that no one bothers. In the end giving him/them exactly what they say they aren't interested in: control of more pixels and a bigger e-peen.

The fact that no one else sees this, and staff thinks something about EQMS and their style is valuable to the server is mind blowing to me. The only thing I can figure is that someone on the staff buys into the "teaching noobs to PVP" nonsense he spews.

Not that it matters (and it shouldn't really), but the continued support an encouragement of Glutt and his antics is the reason I sold off all my stuff and quit playing for now. I'll continue to play forum PVP (Glutt's favorite type) and hopefully the EQMS trash gets taken out.

Zog'orium

Grandmaster
First determine if the problem is pk'ing in general or rolling in and taking over a champ at the very end. These are two very, very different things. I don't think pk'ing is a problem. Again, in all my years playing on this shard I can count on one hand the amount of times I have been pk'd in a dungeon when I wasn't afk.
Now if the concern is champ spawns. Then I'm sorry but end in game content like that should be contested over. I'm not sure if there is really any answer to how to fix a large guild coming in and asserting their will other than making enough of a incentive to fight back and deny them. I don't think the answer is perma stat or even stat loss (other than short term), red agro monsters or even capping the amount of guild mates you can have.
I recall the big spawn guilds always had red protectors in their midst that helped fight off other guilds and various reds. Large guilds dominating spawns is not a new thing in UO. The infrequent times I did spawns it always seemed like it was a scattered group of different players or guilds doing an impromptu spawn.

Why not try to come up with an incentive to encourage guilds to not only roll in force at champs, but also bring in guild red pvpers to help defend.

- enable Justice virtue so blue players can work towards killing reds and being able to offer protection at spawns

- when a blue player is Knight of Justice, they can offer "protection" virtue to pvpers (reds) in party

-those defending reds who are protected will now have a random chance of receiving a PS, relic or artifact as a reward for defending those in party at the spawn (providing that the party they are in damages the champ to a certain percentage)

- to prevent raiders coming in at last second and taking advantage of the protection clause just assign a percentage of spawn cleared in order to be eligible to get rewards from protection or a requirement that they get partied and protected before a certain level of spawn hits

My thinking is make a worthwhile incentive for some pvpers to split away from the large faction guilds and join up with the spawn guilds by offering them both a chance at some meaningfull pvp and champ spawn rewards that are offered only to them for defending.

Sorry for the long post. HOOWAH!

Sir Angus

Novice
First determine if the problem is pk'ing in general or rolling in and taking over a champ at the very end. These are two very, very different things. I don't think pk'ing is a problem. Again, in all my years playing on this shard I can count on one hand the amount of times I have been pk'd in a dungeon when I wasn't afk.
Now if the concern is champ spawns. Then I'm sorry but end in game content like that should be contested over. I'm not sure if there is really any answer to how to fix a large guild coming in and asserting their will other than making enough of a incentive to fight back and deny them. I don't think the answer is perma stat or even stat loss (other than short term), red agro monsters or even capping the amount of guild mates you can have.
I recall the big spawn guilds always had red protectors in their midst that helped fight off other guilds and various reds. Large guilds dominating spawns is not a new thing in UO. The infrequent times I did spawns it always seemed like it was a scattered group of different players or guilds doing an impromptu spawn.

Why not try to come up with an incentive to encourage guilds to not only roll in force at champs, but also bring in guild red pvpers to help defend.

- enable Justice virtue so blue players can work towards killing reds and being able to offer protection at spawns

- when a blue player is Knight of Justice, they can offer "protection" virtue to pvpers (reds) in party

-those defending reds who are protected will now have a random chance of receiving a PS, relic or artifact as a reward for defending those in party at the spawn (providing that the party they are in damages the champ to a certain percentage)

- to prevent raiders coming in at last second and taking advantage of the protection clause just assign a percentage of spawn cleared in order to be eligible to get rewards from protection or a requirement that they get partied and protected before a certain level of spawn hits

My thinking is make a worthwhile incentive for some pvpers to split away from the large faction guilds and join up with the spawn guilds by offering them both a chance at some meaningfull pvp and champ spawn rewards that are offered only to them for defending.

Sorry for the long post. HOOWAH!

Some good ideas here.

One thing though, everybody is talking about "incentives" and that doesn't really seem to work.
There have been multiple incentives to encourage people to practice PvP and it appears that some people (blue PvMers) do not want to even give it a try, it's just not their thing. Or they just give it a try, get wrecked and give up.
I'm not saying it's good or bad, everybody can play as they wish to play in a sandbox MMO, I just want to point out that "incentives" rarely work because you can't force people to do something they don't like/are not good at, especially in a video game. Period.
Plus, incentives are usually getting abused (amers in factions = what a fucking joke).

Even though I agree with end game content = higher risk at getting raided, keep in mind that almost nobody here is a teenager with endless hours of gameplay anymore, we're probably all in our 30s with a job and a family and when you're doing one or two champs a week and it gets raided by the same griefing zerg everytime, people just say "fuck it" and quit.

I've seen several guildies leave UOF for that very reason.
You can call them QQ noobs or pussies or bad players, but it's in the interest of the shard that people keep playing/donating so surely there can be some adjustments that don't imply trammelyzing champs or totally nerfing reds. But it's just not right that a guild works a champ for 30 minutes (or more than 2 hours if we're talking sea champ, cause nobody uses a boat) and a zerg can shit all over it AND get all the rewards.

If screaming "people need to organize themselves and defend their champs" was the solution, the problem would have been solved by now.

I do agree that SOME incentives would benefit the shard and a proper bounty hunter system would probably help. I really liked Dewderonomy's suggestions: make it worth something and it may or may not work out but at least you created the incentive and conditions to incite players to hunt for reds and defend themselves as a group.

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
Were kind of off track here but.......... I don't have any issue once so ever with how big you make your guild. Make your guild as large as you want... war who ever you want as that should be your right.

The server issue, not mine, is that fractions was originally designed to incentivise consensual PVP and to give perks for those who participate. Because UOF currently allows unbalanced faction numbers you have essentially chassed away the majority of consensual PVP it's designed to promote... and you are allowing members to profit from faction perks when they don't participate in the faction fights. Aside from this, and it's hard to believe, but because of this flawed system you've single handily chassed away and or crippled some of the best UOF PVP guilds.

There are plenty of fights vs people that group against EQMS... just the other night we lost to MAGA while outnumbering them. Unbalanced factions isnt the issue, you can put a faction cap on it and people from EQMS will still play together bypassing any artificial limits you want to put on a sandbox. Question for you, since you seem to be an expert on UOF faction pvp, what is the name of your factioner and what guild are you in?

Which is exactly what @GluttonySDS wants. He doesn't want PVP, he wants his guild to have so many members that no one bothers. In the end giving him/them exactly what they say they aren't interested in: control of more pixels and a bigger e-peen.

The fact that no one else sees this, and staff thinks something about EQMS and their style is valuable to the server is mind blowing to me. The only thing I can figure is that someone on the staff buys into the "teaching noobs to PVP" nonsense he spews.

Not that it matters (and it shouldn't really), but the continued support an encouragement of Glutt and his antics is the reason I sold off all my stuff and quit playing for now. I'll continue to play forum PVP (Glutt's favorite type) and hopefully the EQMS trash gets taken out.

Holy shit -- arent you(sorry, werent you as you claim youve quit) in werkt? The guild that can consistently bring 15-20 people to zerg the shit out of RDAs? If youre in a guild that big, why are you crying about zergs -- do you just enjoy being hypocritical? Is it my fault that other zergs out there(and theres a few) show no interest in learning how to defend themselves in an openworld PVP game? Theres so many EQMS haters out there but instead of working together to combat your problems, youd rather give up and cry on the forums.... sad attitude.

I've offered multiple suggestions as how to improve champs for blues so that the only reward available isnt right at the end, preventing blues from wasting 30mins-1hr if their champ gets raided. How did the community react to my suggestions? I was told Im suggesting things just so EQMS can get more pixels. This community is full of crybabies who just want to complain instead of working together to solve their own problems... sad attitude indeed.

Lexington

Grandmaster
There are plenty of fights vs people that group against EQMS... just the other night we lost to MAGA while outnumbering them. Unbalanced factions isnt the issue, you can put a faction cap on it and people from EQMS will still play together bypassing any artificial limits you want to put on a sandbox. Question for you, since you seem to be an expert on UOF faction pvp, what is the name of your factioner and what guild are you in?

Hey Glutt, I only play two characters Lexington and Lexington'. The first Lex is my faction player. He is a true brit but currently not in factions as I'm grinding up a talisman and prefer not to deal with overabundance of Minax PVM faction fights on top of the PKS while leveling. Once he is done I'll join again. That is unless the Dev team comes out with something new.

I never claimed to be an expert on Factions. Obviously there must be something wrong tho as almost every PVP related suggestion gets derailed to an EQMS debate? I honestly asked about the Bounty System because I've been reading some of your comments asking, or demanding, that blues team up / recruit to fight EQMS. Now I'm confused on whether you want this or not?

Last edited by a moderator: