How to curb inflation? Is any tax to much tax?

Kiki

Grandmaster
It's true that you don't need a house to interact with players in the game. Honestly though, i'm not sure that I would play UO if there was no player housing. It is one of my favorite parts of the game. I think it is a big draw for players. Also i think to play competitively you for sure need a house or at least to share one. Trying to deal with pots/regs/crafting etc without a house sucks.

That being said. An account really doesn't need anything more than a small house. For most that is plenty of storage.

I would like to see housing changed. I'm not sure how many lots/spots there are in Britannia but on a server of approx 700 people (i think this is the UOF pop) it seems like almost all the spots for medium size houses and larger are taken.

Gold sink ideas:

- The cost of the high end housing (castles/towers etc) should be so high that only the super rich or more likely groups of people are able to buy them. Castle = 30 mil. Tower = 20 mil or whatever, some price that makes individual purchase almost out of reach.

Of course the problem with that is that those who currently own castles or towers could sell and now ask that price, so obviously far from perfect.

- Instead of a persistent housing tax, would a tax on the capital gains associated with housing sales work?

So person x sells a house. They pay tax on the profit. Higher the profit, higher the tax. Buying a house would have no tax implications or payments so most players wouldn't be affected until they had acquired some level of wealth and were planning to upgrade.

- up the price of vendor contracts - 150k say.
- up the daily min for vendors - 5k say.

This would sink some gold and hopefully reduce the number of vendors to only those who are serious about keeping their vendors stocked.

Get rid of the second account. 5th char slot available - 5 mil. 6th slot available - 10 mil.

Fire away.
FFS.

Why stop there? Why not tax the income made by killing mobs? If you're going to try and make a capital gains tax, why not an income tax?

This thread has got to be the most ridiculous thread I've read on trying to fix something that IMO isn't broken.

No one has any clue at what the knock on effect would be to the economy. A balanced economy is one of the toughest things to create, replicate and maintain. Why not just cut down the amount of gold that mobs drop to 12gp? prices on things would sure drop then!!

Seriously, this thread, and the ones like them, are moaning about a problem that doesn't exist. There is unlimited wealth sitting in every single dungeon out there. Go get it and work for it like others have instead of bitching that other people have more than you do.

Kiki

Grandmaster
Ahh yes, the "jealous cry baby" routine.

Why is housing broken? Why do IDOC's, which have been a part of this game since the dawn of this game, now magically need to be ended? Why can't people fight for what they want instead of having it handed to them? Why is the hokey pokey what it's all about?

I worked and hustled my ass off to get where I am, and did it with a smile. Now people are talking about getting rid of a guaranteed source of PVP, a place where people will meet others and chat for hours on end, and a constant source of fun for anyone that's been to them since the 90's.

Pardon me kind sir, but it's a fucking load of shit.

Babethoven

Grandmaster
is there a point in this thread? KiKi simmer down sir... giving this thread way too much attention..... pointless, just let this die out like every other ridiculous idea from dungeons and dragons/pokemon players

TheFallen

Grandmaster
Idoc doesn't have to be end for these ideas to be implemented. For a tax system instead of refresh system it is likely just as many if not more houses will drop. Unless idea two (auctioning of houses) was implemented 100% idoc would remain very similar to how it is today. So if we could see past the "end of idoc" and the going to hurt new players (which this will do just the opposite) are there any other arguments against trying to control inflation thrua continuous gold sink in the largest and most common vanity item in the game? Heck you could even keep refreshing on top of a tax and you will certainly not have hurt idoc but I think something in return of a house fee would be good.

TheFallen

Grandmaster
How's this for balance, refreshing remains the same and taxes only applied to max storage custom and higher ensuring new players are not effected idoc is not effected and gold is sunk from those that choose large (vanity) houses. (I've got a tower and an 18 16 that I would gladly pay a reasonable tax for, for the good of the shard.

TheFallen

Grandmaster
So, in effect, penalizing players for their efforts... :/
Not at all. You still is what you own and the decrease in inflation will be directly proportional to the cost of keeping a large house. It will also help reward players who put in 100 hours today to have something at least resembling the value of players who put in 100 hours six months ago. Yes playing for a year should give you some edge and it still will but it should take a player 1000 hours to reach the sand point as a player got in 100 hours six months ago.

limlight

Grandmaster
I think everyone who wants a tax should do the right thing for the shard. Take 50 percent of your gold...make a check...and put it in a housebtrash barrel. Do your duty to uo forever.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

TheFallen

Grandmaster
And everyone who doesn't should get real friendly with all they're pretty pixels. Because to me I'd rather have players to interact with... Here comes the uo forever has a great population argument and yes it does but I'd like more growth. Once the decline starts is to late to react. I will give every thing I own if it means people to play my online game with. Maybe we're just different. I'd recommend you go play a single player collection game if your only concerned about you.

limlight

Grandmaster
I support your mission and will stand here cheering you and all the people that want to delete 50 percent of all their wealth.
If u believe in a cause...do it without needing everyone to join you.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Nihilism

Grandmaster
First, just wanna say, I appreciate *any* and *all* efforts people make to wanting to take gold out of the game.
I agree with anyone 100% in their "efforts" to do so. Because yes, it helps the server, by helping new players, and creating a larger and diverse playerbase and community.

But to "penalize" players is a step in a different direction.
Everything should be weighed with its pros and cons.

For this however, a major "con" is that it is in fact penalizing players for them being either good or exhausting effort. That shouldn't be the case.
Anyone that's placed a large building in the last 4 months knows that effort is required to do so, either by the placing, the idocs themselves, the negotiations with other plot-holders etc.

Again, I commend you in your efforts trying to help the server, really. But everything needs to be looked at in its entirety, and this just keeps dropping back to penalizing people for putting in extra time/effort.

TheFallen

Grandmaster
Hate to break it to you but if you support the cause but want to sit by the sidelines you are the exact reason something this drastic is needed people won't give up anything of there own but still want the server to grow. The worst part is by decreasing inflation your increasing your wealth at the same time as your paying a tax and all people can see is them having to pay anything and there back goes up against the wall.

TheFallen

Grandmaster
I agree pro and con, but it is not a penalty since large plot values won't drop. If you decrease inflation your gold value goes up... But your worried about housing value dropping which would be unfortunate for those who've put in the house placing work or money buying. Fortunately big houses will always be desired and only a small tax is needed to be effective due to how wide a gold sink it would be and as the primary goal is to increase player population what happens when more players join houses go up even more. I find it hard to believe given the right size tax that large who paved houses won't be worth more six months down the road than they are now while still decreasing overall inflation and making smaller less desirable house locations cheaper and keeping general items cheaper.

Harken110

Expert
First, just wanna say, I appreciate *any* and *all* efforts people make to wanting to take gold out of the game.
I agree with anyone 100% in their "efforts" to do so. Because yes, it helps the server, by helping new players, and creating a larger and diverse playerbase and community.

But to "penalize" players is a step in a different direction.
Everything should be weighed with its pros and cons.

For this however, a major "con" is that it is in fact penalizing players for them being either good or exhausting effort. That shouldn't be the case.
Anyone that's placed a large building in the last 4 months knows that effort is required to do so, either by the placing, the idocs themselves, the negotiations with other plot-holders etc.

Again, I commend you in your efforts trying to help the server, really. But everything needs to be looked at in its entirety, and this just keeps dropping back to penalizing people for putting in extra time/effort.

There is little to no effort when I placed my 2 story villa, but maybe I just got lucky. I am kind of thinking of taking it down and placing something larger because there still room for an upgrade.