Losing Meta Pet with all relics after 12h

But if you put your blessed pure white robe on the floor in the house and don't lock it down and it de-spawns, do you page the GM's to give it back then? (a note here: I have not made any investigation wether this kind of item exist here and what the potential value of said item would be, but take it as an example in that case)
If I were designing this game, I WOULD code the game in a way that makes it harder to lose items that aren't locked down, because why not mitigate player frustration and increase retention?
I don't think that negligence should be encouraged.
We could add any number of arbitrary punishments for what you deem negligence (like the house-locking example I previously made). We would still have to justify how each one makes sense.

De Medici

Grandmaster
I think that there are much more people losing their metas than losing blessed cloth sure. You have to actively take it and drop it on the ground.

wkstrm

Master
If I were designing this game, I WOULD code the game in a way that makes it harder to lose items that aren't locked down, because why not mitigate player frustration and increase retention?

But what would the game be without consequences for the choices you make? That is what makes this game great and one of the few reasons this is the game I return to play over and over again. There is true risk.

We could add any number of arbitrary punishments for what you deem negligence (like the house-locking example I previously made). We would still have to justify how each one makes sense.

Knowing what kind of player base there is and the mentality of several of our fellow players in a sand-box game where you can do a shit ton of stuff, where "bad" things to other players is one of them, it is more or less essential to check your shit before you go AFK or log out. I've lost things, I will probably loose items in the future too, mostly because of me being lazy and not double check or take precautions not to loose them.

Now, that was your player responsibilities. Accidents happen, power outages and so on. There is probably some insurance company out there that are willing to give you an insurance policy for your in-game items but I still think that staff are pretty clear on the fact that they do not re-imburse lost items, be it pets or golden VANQ's or blessed footwear.

Knowing what kind of player base there is and the mentality of several of our fellow players in a sand-box game where you can do a shit ton of stuff, where "bad" things to other players is one of them, it is more or less essential to check your shit before you go AFK or log out. I've lost things, I will probably loose items in the future too, mostly because of me being lazy and not double check or take precautions not to loose them.

Now, that was your player responsibilities. Accidents happen, power outages and so on. There is probably some insurance company out there that are willing to give you an insurance policy for your in-game items but I still think that staff are pretty clear on the fact that they do not re-imburse lost items, be it pets or golden VANQ's or blessed footwear.
You understand that this is a discussion about how the mechanics should be set up, yes?

wkstrm

Master
I think that there are much more people losing their metas than losing blessed cloth sure. You have to actively take it and drop it on the ground.

Insert any item except for meta pets as "lost item", I just took it as an example.
You also have to actively say: all stay to your pets, as well as going AFK is something you do actively. Logging in and logging out is a activity as well.

How often do you have power outage or your computer starts burning?

halygon

Grandmaster
The reason why they do it is they want to keep pet trapping alive. Forget the whole crap about abusing... you could easily auto stable. Eppy more or less confirmed btw its cause of pet trapping. He dont care about pet trapping but he does not make the decisions alone (shane). And in the moment somebody lures the pet, they wont stable it anylonger for you if you pm a gm. Thats what he told me. So if your computer breaks or connection doesnt work and after 10 mins anybody starts to lure, you are fucked.
Mostly the Pet Trapping thing. Comes back to the risk vs reward thing - in UO we should always have a risk. Yes, it sucks if for some reason there is an issue that keeps you from logging in for 12+ hours when you need to but in our world today, this is a rarity.

Know what happens more often than anything else? People drink and UO, then do something stupid and lose their meta. We occassionally get the newer player that didn't know this or that mechanic and get's their meta trapped without a pet ball, but we do not commonly have anyone have an actual crash or power/intenet outage that prevents them from logging back in for 12 or more hours - its just not a common thing.

De Medici

Grandmaster
While I dont agree in that specific point, we should keep in mind that Shane and his staff are running the most succesfull Ultima Online shard for years now. There is no doubt that there are very good in what they are doing, please keep this in mind.

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster

Reach out to @Firecrest he'll sell you an insurance policy, or my name is not AreYouKidden.