Need surviving advice!

Ch4se

Master
The best thin you can do, having little to no pvp experience, is set your home to default on your book and hold a recall while you're waiting for the mobs to kill each other. Also keep magic reflect up at all times.

James Franco

Grandmaster
After a life with crafting, gardening, taming and hunting in the woods I have start to hit the dungeons and try them out. It goes pretty good, only died three times yesterday in a hour from pk:s so that wasnt so shabby I think. I would like to have advice on how to maybe survive 1/3 or 2/3 of those times pk:s show up.
The disadvantage from me is that I have absolutely no pvp experience at all, 2 hits from a fencer or one exp/bolt combo and im dead, the record last night were 9 or 10 running away steps before I died, and that was awesome.
I have no macros except a recall macro, if I make macros i cant remember them ☺
My char isnt at all a pvp build char and dont want to have that either on this char. Mage provo hider.
So for just surviving, recall away, not fight back, what do I need to do? Protection, rea armor or m resist spell? How long will the spells be active? Pots? Good buff hotkeys and combos? And other good hints to survive. Dont want to bring 100s of regs, pots and such couse it will crash my economy pretty fast after a few deaths. Just wanna recall in, kill a few mobs go home and bank and be able to flee if reds are farting in my directions.
Yes Ima noob, not ashamed of that :)
With training I can be better, just wanna know what direction to go.

Thanks
  1. DONT LET YOUR GUARD DOWN. (Always be cautious)
  2. Have reflect at all times.
  3. Have a recall macro
  4. Carry 5-10 Heal, Cure, Refresh potions
  5. If its too late and a dexxer is attacking you, time his hits.
  6. Fight back, don't take the beating. Do simple combos like explosion energy bolt while your pets are on him. Tbh depending on the PK you could just para spam him and let the pets destroy him...
  7. If you are on a tamer say all guard and use attack closest murderer/criminal (This will give you limited time to recall because most likely he will get low health and run off screen for 5 seconds.)
  8. You have a crafter correct? Craft leather armor and wear it, even the shittiest armor can give you a chance to survive.
  9. Be prepared for anything! Anything can happen, i mean for example: When me and my bro use to PK we would get on alchy posion dexxers or archers (vanq supreme heavy crossbow) and stealth up and attack you.
  10. Learn to run! If you suck at running or you have a lot of fps lag, change your resolution settings and close unnecessary programs.
  11. Learn your surroundings, and use them to your advantage. (You will see an example on #10)
  12. MOST IMPORTANT RULE OF ALL: Learn PvP! I use to be a provo tamer with no resist or eval, and i could defend myself and even kill my opponents with my pets and a bunch of mobs! Let me tell you a little story that happened in Fire Dungeon at the Titan spawn. Ok so i had just killed a titan and got a taming scroll. Next thing i know Two Reds come on screen, one was a alchy macer, and the other was just a normal macer. Both had War Hammer hitting 40-60 dmg per hit; I had to time those hits perfectly in order to survive. Plus one of them was throwing explosion potions into my face which wasn't pleasant. I had armor, pots, and regs to survive this battle. These men were fighting me for 15 minutes and it was a brutal war. After red lining them several times they kept running on screen and going off screen, I couldn't recall because i was in flee for some reason. So i had to stay and fight them and that is exactly what i did! I eventually worked my way into the room below (USE YOUR SURROUNDINGS). So when i got into the room i put one pet by the door and blocked it, my other pet was inside the room casting on these men. Red lining them over and over. By using my pet barrier, these men decided they were going to kill my dragon that was defending my base. As these two PK's were wrecking my pet with very powerful war hammers i healed my pet and it actually died eventually. So i ressed my pet while my other pet was now guarding the door, and i healed him up. After many attempts by them to kill me, and them almost dying over 30 times of being red lined by my pets. They finally gave up and ran off screen and didn't come back. I then waited til i could recall; and i successfully survived and took my taming scroll to my home. I'll tell you why i survived this battle. I survived this battle because i had armor, i had potions, and i have PvP experience. THAT IS HOW YOU SURVIVE A PK INVASION.
Where i was hunting when the PK's came on screen. http://postimg.org/image/p7w1r764h/
James_Franco_6_3_16_11.jpg

Where i managed to work my way to the room. http://postimg.org/image/va3ohoukh/
James_Franco_6_3_16_12.jpg

The door i used to block the PK's out. http://postimg.org/image/8zfthpxa9/
James_Franco_6_3_16_12_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DingDong

Master
  1. DONT LET YOUR GUARD DOWN. (Always be cautious)
  2. Have reflect at all times.
  3. Have a recall macro
  4. Carry 5-10 Heal, Cure, Refresh potions
  5. If its too late and a dexxer is attacking you, time his hits.
  6. Fight back, don't take the beating. Do simple combos like explosion energy bolt while your pets are on him. Tbh depending on the PK you could just para spam him and let the pets destroy him...
  7. If you are on a tamer say all guard and use attack closest murderer/criminal (This will give you limited time to recall because most likely he will get low health and run off screen for 5 seconds.)
  8. You have a crafter correct? Craft leather armor and wear it, even the shittiest armor can give you a chance to survive.
  9. Be prepared for anything! Anything can happen, i mean for example: When me and my bro use to PK we would get on alchy posion dexxers or archers (vanq supreme heavy crossbow) and stealth up and attack you.
  10. Learn to run! If you suck at running or you have a lot of fps lag, change your resolution settings and close unnecessary programs.
  11. Learn your surroundings, and use them to your advantage. (You will see an example on #10)
  12. MOST IMPORTANT RULE OF ALL: Learn PvP! I use to be a provo tamer with no resist or eval, and i could defend myself and even kill my opponents with my pets and a bunch of mobs! Let me tell you a little story that happened in Fire Dungeon at the Titan spawn. Ok so i had just killed a titan and got a taming scroll. Next thing i know Two Reds come on screen, one was a alchy macer, and the other was just a normal macer. Both had War Hammer hitting 40-60 dmg per hit; I had to time those hits perfectly in order to survive. Plus one of them was throwing explosion potions into my face which wasn't pleasant. I had armor, pots, and regs to survive this battle. These men were fighting me for 15 minutes and it was a brutal war. After red lining them several times they kept running on screen and going off screen, I couldn't recall because i was in flee for some reason. So i had to stay and fight them and that is exactly what i did! I eventually worked my way into the room below (USE YOUR SURROUNDINGS). So when i got into the room i put one pet by the door and blocked it, my other pet was inside the room casting on these men. Red lining them over and over. By using my pet barrier, these men decided they were going to kill my dragon that was defending my base. As these two PK's were wrecking my pet with very powerful war hammers i healed my pet and it actually died eventually. So i ressed my pet while my other pet was now guarding the door, and i healed him up. After many attempts by them to kill me, and them almost dying over 30 times of being red lined by my pets. They finally gave up and ran off screen and didn't come back. I then waited til i could recall; and i successfully survived and took my taming scroll to my home. I'll tell you why i survived this battle. I survived this battle because i had armor, i had potions, and i have PvP experience. THAT IS HOW YOU SURVIVE A PK INVASION.
Where i was hunting when the PK's came on screen.
James_Franco_6_3_16_11.jpg

Where i managed to work my way to the room.
James_Franco_6_3_16_12.jpg

The door i used to block the PK's out.
James_Franco_6_3_16_12_1.jpg

Awesome, I can understand that you need to know you surroundings like you own wallet. Great and inresting story, that is a kind of thing that would make this game much more fun to me, I really would need some pvp experince and a better knowing of the game mechanic, also watch and learn how other players are doing.
Cant see your pics, maybe they will show later and I will watch them.
Yea im a crafter so I can provide my char with exceptional leatherarmor for cheap, as you said, some armor is better that no armor at all.

Thanks alot for all you advice. Will really help me in my future gaming.

James Franco

Grandmaster
Awesome, I can understand that you need to know you surroundings like you own wallet. Great and inresting story, that is a kind of thing that would make this game much more fun to me, I really would need some pvp experince and a better knowing of the game mechanic, also watch and learn how other players are doing.
Cant see your pics, maybe they will show later and I will watch them.
Yea im a crafter so I can provide my char with exceptional leatherarmor for cheap, as you said, some armor is better that no armor at all.

Thanks alot for all you advice. Will really help me in my future gaming.
I gave links to my screenshots of where it took place.

hubcap

Grandmaster
GM (at least) wrestling, and a GTFO macro (recall)
Either reactive armor (for physical attacks) or spell reflect (for magical attacks...spells)
Also........"bless" yourself and/or "mass protection" and target yourself.
basically load up all the protective spells you can on yourself....and constantly refesh those spells every few minutes.
This will give you your best shot at escape, but, a red with actual SKILLS (which is about 10% of the reds on this shard...that IVE seen anyway..) wont let you get away so easy.......

works for me most of the time.....unless the red(s) has/have some REAL skills.....

DingDong

Master
I gave links to my screenshots of where it took place.
Yea Now I can see them...Haha I can almost see their faces when had working that hard to kill you and had to give up and run away. Hope they feel ashamed of them self :)
They thought you were an easy target and then boom, you were not. Thanks again for the great advice and the great story :)

DingDong

Master
GM (at least) wrestling, and a GTFO macro (recall)
Either reactive armor (for physical attacks) or spell reflect (for magical attacks...spells)
Also........"bless" yourself and/or "mass protection" and target yourself.
basically load up all the protective spells you can on yourself....and constantly refesh those spells every few minutes.
This will give you your best shot at escape, but, a red with actual SKILLS (which is about 10% of the reds on this shard...that IVE seen anyway..) wont let you get away so easy.......

works for me most of the time.....unless the red(s) has/have some REAL skills.....
Will do, I will be an buff abuser, will also turn all keys on my keyboard to a GTFO macro :)

DocOp

Adept
Karl Sagan is about as versed in UO as he is with the cosmos. He mentioned something that I am always looking to be mindful of, your position. Some dungeon paths have a nice 'ring' to them. You can see someone coming but for them to attack you, they have to pass and round a corner. I hope that is clearer than it sounds, but it is my bread and butter. I'm pretty newb, lost my young status and was pkd 30 mins later. A lot more since then too.
Another thing I try to be careful of is monster overload. Don't fight so many bad guys that they can be overwhelming. Keep it simple, one mob, one kill. That way if trouble does spring up, you're not exponentially increasing the shit storm you're already in.
Always assume a red is right around the corner. That way when you see that name pop up, you're already in the mindset.
I feel your pain though, I'm always getting killed. Once I figure out how to play though, I'm going to be stating these cherry picking newbs

hubcap

Grandmaster
exactly....

and that lil diddy Karl Sagan dropped from the Cosmos about positioning, and placement being key to escape cannot be stressed enough.
Put as many obstacles between 'you' and 'them' as possible..........

anticipate all of their avenues of approach and plan accordingly.

hubcap

Grandmaster
Sun Tzu wishes he was on the safe end of a ma deuce.

Yut.

=)

K A Z

Grandmaster
Problem with the red zergs is they have a whole list of macros they smash in specific order (or hit 1 button to activate script) designed to hit you all at once.. and since theyre coming at you a) with numbers or b) when ur mana is low and/or you're distracted, you can bet the last thing they want or are able to handle is a fair fight. This is 90% of the dungeon roaming red groups..
Dont let dying to these pissants get you down, heres how I do it.. I recognize that anyone who needs to use numbers or a tactical advantage to win probably has a pathetic real life issue they are trying to compensate for. Problem is that no matter how many PVM blues you zerg, when you log off your dick is still small and the old lady still wont give you any..
Bottom line is, if a group of macro mashing reds gets ya but you had maybe 2k on ya, the jokes on them cos you banked 10 k in the 10 mins before they ran thru, and they have to spit that 2k 5 ways..

LOL

thejellyman

Neophyte
So it was 1998 I think. I had just bought my first house. A small stone house. They had keys back then. I was showing my buddy my home just north of Minoc. He walked in and didn't come all the way in and the door wouldn't shut. I watched a PKer come running on screen. And run in the door. He killed us both, took everything and had the key to my house. There was nothing I could do. In a few minutes my house was empty. And he had a key. I ripped the mouse out of my PC (Pentium 233) and through it down the hall. I was so pissed!! I had to get up and go to the store and buy another mouse right then. Occasionally I would come back and look at my empty house. It was way different back then. I don't mind losing what I have on me anymore. As long as it isn't everything. Sigh. I still get pissed thinking about it.

StegcO

Grandmaster
If I make macros i cant remember them ☺

This can be a problem :D

You can try with magic relfrex 10 each pots + explo pots spell macro ecc ecc but the truth is you will start a fight with 50% mana and a pvm template against 1 or 10 red pvp template.

If you have a Tamer you can easly fight back 1 pk or more (based of your template) if you have a provo hide mage you have barely no chanche so:

* Protection (you can recall even if attacked 20% of time more or less)
* No Pots (you will loose them 80% of the time at the end of the months you will have used more money for pots then money gained from mob)
* 35 each reags

Remeber here there is only 1 item that really value dropped by mob farmed: +1 Taming, the only time you will loose against a pk is when they kill you with a taming skill scroll, if they kill you and loot 2k + 25each reag probably they'll recovery money used to kill you :)

Also without reag/pots you will panic less so you can start to understand how mechanichs works, also try to use hiding by you need to be a good runner

Let's try :)

Ledz Epplin

Master
I play a provo/mage/stealther and understand completely your problem. First off let me say this is my favorite character and the one I play and farm with 95% of the time. Here's what I do bro, I hope it helps.

First my skills are 100 in Eval, Magery, Med, Music, Hiding, 110 Provo, 90 Stealth, and I fucking loooooove it.

Second, I travel light. Ethy mount, no armor, bag of 50 regs each, and an instrument.

Always keep a few spare bags of regs and an instrument ready to go in your house.

Find your spots you like to farm. Don't dungeon roam. Stealth around, pick your spots and make recall books.

Pop in to your chosen spot, provo, pop a couple ev's, get somewhere off the path and hide. If you can't hide, cast invis, then hit hide, it works 100% of the time. Keep your fingers on your recall macro. Loot your mobs and go bank.

Then rinse and repeat.

Do that and the most you will ever lose are some regs and a couple k in gold. No biggie for a provo since we can recoup that in about 2 minutes.

Before long you will have more gold than you know what to do with since you don't need to buy all that meta garbage the tamers need.

And when you get pk'd, send a o0o0o0o at the guy who killed you, more times than not they recognize you are no threat and will rez you, and always thank them for the rez :)

Oh and also, after you have a bunch of money, make a gm tinker, and keep all of your regs in a trapped container, just for fun :)

DingDong

Master
Thanks for all tips guys, this was a old thread coming back alive again :D

Stealth mage sounds like a fun char, I have a spare mage that I don't use and might give the stealth/provo/mage a try.

I do have a question about eve's. Don't they attack players (both innocent and murders) as well if they run by?

I have res spells on this char, should I keep it or change for eval?

Mage/med/resist/provo/stealth/hide/stealth for defence?
or
Mage/med/eval/provo/stealth/hide/stealth for offence?

Ty :)