WTB Peacing 120

Kraden

Grandmaster
I actually applied at several of the game dev studios around the DFW area and even at the places that I knew people, they all had a huge amount of people applying and only one or two jobs open.
Yeah thats how alot of them are. Just gotta be lucky and right time right place with the connections and experience. Idk eventually maybe but for now id just like to do somecomputer related worked. Being 27 and already on workmans comp is not cool lol

halygon

Grandmaster
start off at a helldesk somewhere and get your foot in the door. Nearly every big company needs helldesk employees for their lusers.

Kraden

Grandmaster
start off at a helldesk somewhere and get your foot in the door. Nearly every big company needs helldesk employees for their lusers.

Yeah man i have been. Part of the problem is im from small town but im moving to a city to the sourh soon cause i may have a support job for a software company. Hopin that pans out and just go from there

That goes for everyone whos a college grad though. Ive applied at 100s. Prolly close to a 1000 jos in different counties states countries in all sorts of different fields and positions lol. Just gotta keep try. Or dont. One less person to compete with lol

halygon

Grandmaster
Yeah man i have been. Part of the problem is im from small town but im moving to a city to the sourh soon cause i may have a support job for a software company. Hopin that pans out and just go from there

That goes for everyone whos a college grad though. Ive applied at 100s. Prolly close to a 1000 jos in different counties states countries in all sorts of different fields and positions lol. Just gotta keep try. Or dont. One less person to compete with lol
Best practice for applying for jobs is to:
  1. Have an updated LinkedIN page
  2. Customize your resume towards the job/position you are applying for
  3. Don't use a crazy resume template or a boring one. Just use a professional looking one.
  4. Do not list a bunch of pointless skills such as "Typing".. who the hell cares -- everyone is expected to be able to type now a days
  5. Phrase all of your prior position descriptions in vague but professional sounding language - you want them to be curious and contact you to find out more
If you find that applying for jobs does not net you much, contact a headhunter or a group that fills positions for other companies.

Kraden

Grandmaster
Best practice for applying for jobs is to:
  1. Have an updated LinkedIN page
  2. Customize your resume towards the job/position you are applying for
  3. Don't use a crazy resume template or a boring one. Just use a professional looking one.
  4. Do not list a bunch of pointless skills such as "Typing".. who the hell cares -- everyone is expected to be able to type now a days
  5. Phrase all of your prior position descriptions in vague but professional sounding language - you want them to be curious and contact you to find out more
If you find that applying for jobs does not net you much, contact a headhunter or a group that fills positions for other companies.

All good advice but yeah i know all about resumes lol took a class just on that crap. As far the companies that fill postions i hate those cause they tend to have contracts with those companies to fire people after 30-60 days of whatever. Anyway good pointsand free bumps. Still need my 120

halygon

Grandmaster
As far the companies that fill postions i hate those cause they tend to have contracts with those companies to fire people after 30-60 days of whatever. Anyway good pointsand free bumps.
They do contractors with fixed employment periods and contractors with option to hire. The second option gives the company you are contracting for the opportunity to hire you if they like you.. Companies do this to "try out" people without a commitment.

Kraden

Grandmaster
They do contractors with fixed employment periods and contractors with option to hire. The second option gives the company you are contracting for the opportunity to hire you if they like you.. Companies do this to "try out" people without a commitment.

Ok man im just throwing this out there. I know. I know exactly what they do. Also. Just because they say thats why they do it does not make it true. I am not sure where you live or what companies youve worked for. But yeah thats a joke when u try to defend that

halygon

Grandmaster
Ok man im just throwing this out there. I know. I know exactly what they do. Also. Just because they say thats why they do it does not make it true. I am not sure where you live or what companies youve worked for. But yeah thats a joke when u try to defend that
Only reason i know is because at one time i was a contractor with the option to hire -- luckily for me, the company hired me permanently in a full time position. It was my first real job outside of college jobs.

Kraden

Grandmaster
Only reason i know is because at one time i was a contractor with the option to hire -- luckily for me, the company hired me permanently in a full time position. It was my first real job outside of college jobs.

Yeah lucky for you but more times than not is doesnt go that way. I could go on forever about the experimces i know about. I got hired on now through on of those but they needed my position filed so they immediatly hired me. That same company though does it to staff areas and then fires em literally before the date they have to hire em. A guy showed up two hours early. Worked over time everyday. Never missed or was late and was above rate in his area. Week or whatever before they had to hire him they fired him

halygon

Grandmaster
Yeah lucky for you but more times than not is doesnt go that way. I could go on forever about the experimces i know about. I got hired on now through on of those but they needed my position filed so they immediatly hired me. That same company though does it to staff areas and then fires em literally before the date they have to hire em. A guy showed up two hours early. Worked over time everyday. Never missed or was late and was above rate in his area. Week or whatever before they had to hire him they fired him
Where are you located? Cause that sounds shitty.

Kraden

Grandmaster
Where are you located? Cause that sounds shitty.

Im in Illinois now and yeah it is. When I lived in Arizona it was even worse they are right to work state which basically means they can fire anyone for any reason at any point in time I got fired for "Not Culturally Meeting Expectations"

halygon

Grandmaster
Im in Illinois now and yeah it is. When I lived in Arizona it was even worse they are right to work state which basically means they can fire anyone for any reason at any point in time I got fired for "Not Culturally Meeting Expectations"
Texas is also a right to work state. I can be fired at any time but I can quit at any time too regardless of contract. That said, i can also sue them for firing me, even though they *can* do so for no reason.

Maybe you just have some shitty luck?

Kraden

Grandmaster
Yeah I have always had shitty luck and yeah I planned on moving to texas got the 3 largest growing cities no state tax or whatever buisness booming didnt know it was right to work though so that scares me

halygon

Grandmaster
Yeah I have always had shitty luck and yeah I planned on moving to texas got the 3 largest growing cities no state tax or whatever buisness booming didnt know it was right to work though so that scares me
Then again anything is better than illinois :p