Phoenix armor is breakable now... :(

Staff

Young Player Help
It was always breakable. The issue before was weapons didn't do any damage to armor before. You'd really have to sell me on phoenix armor being blessed and unbreakable.

halygon

Grandmaster
It was always breakable. The issue before was weapons didn't do any damage to armor before. You'd really have to sell me on phoenix armor being blessed and unbreakable.
IMO, armor that is blessed HAS to be breakable to prevent it from being OP, but it should also be repairable.

jkg8787

Master
My only argument would be that it costs a lot of Platinum coins. I was planning on eventually getting a set of the Ranger armor (even if it took forever), but probably won't bother now.

Should still be able to repair it. Can even have it remove the durability so people will have to buy Powder of Fortification to re-up the durability.

edit: damn ninja'd. Make sure powder of fort works on it too?

Garet Jax

Grandmaster
My only argument would be that it costs a lot of Platinum coins. I was planning on eventually getting a set of the Ranger armor (even if it took forever), but probably won't bother now.

Should still be able to repair it. Can even have it remove the durability so people will have to buy Powder of Fortification to re-up the durability.

edit: damn ninja'd. Make sure powder of fort works on it too?

Yeah maybe fort powder would be worth something then.

Hephastus

Journeyman
Dear Developer Adam,

many thanks for your help. However, you might not have studied the patch notes a few months ago. You developers YOURSELF made phoenix and ranger armor unbreakable, which worked fine until the recent AR changing patch. Almost all players I have spoken to said they did not have a problem with their blessed suits - the only person who reported that his blessed suits was broken was indeed Belge (i.e. the thread opener). Everybody else did NOT have any issues at all with their blessed armor.

Now, your today's change made ALL blessed ranger and phonix armor useless as it is now evidently breakable. I checked it out today and found my AR went down 2 points after a few minutes (arms loring the tunic now says: "it looks fairly new" instead of "unused" as it was beore). In other words, today's patch made it even WORSE as now probably all players here who invested into these highly-expensive endgame armor have no longer unbreakable suits.

I would like to remind you that last week's AR changing general patch already punished all blessed armor users, as good armor is now more important. The AR of both blessed suits was already incredibly low before the patch (20 and 24 AR). I would also like to kindly remind you that you developers YOUSELF made the AR unbreakable exactly for this reason, as they're useless in pvp and can only be used for low-end farming. People were complaining that they did not want to spend their massive amounts of expensive platinum coins on these "nearly useless" suits if they are breakable, and therefore you developers made them unbreakable to give us at least a minor incentive to invest.

As you know, by now, many people have invested a fortune in these suits - they wouldn't have spent a single platinum coin if they were not truly made unbreakable! In fact, most mages and some archers are naked anyway, so the low 20 AR is some kind of endgame extra item for them. Again, some of us spent millions of gold, hours of farming, and sometimes hundreds of real dollars buying dono coins to get these suits UNDER THE ASSUMPTION THAT THEY ARE UNBREAKABLE. It is not a grey area here, as you developers have OFFICIALLY made these blessed sets unbreakable. You recent change that made blessed armor repairable and probably ALL sets now breakable is, pardon my language, pissing off a large amount of loyal, heaviy investing players. I'd suggest revoking your changes, and also that you simply replace Belge's broken set with an unbugged one.

Thank you for reading this!

Lavos

Master
P.S.: The patch that made the phonix and ranger armor unbreakable was posted by Carl:

Patch Notes - September 7th, 2013
"blessed armor pieces no longer take damage / break"

See: http://uoforum.com/threads/patch-notes-september-7th-2013.14127/

@Adam

Yeah, the only reason I spent all of the plat on these suits was because the Devs made them unbreakable. It is insanely hard to actually collect all of the 75,000 plat, aside from the massive cost of doing so.. There was already very little reason to buy the suits with their low AR, this change makes them even less desirable.

Considering the difficulty and cost of obtaining these suits, and their low AR, I believe they should stay unbreakable. Would it be possible to do a platinum coin refund if they are permanently changed to breakable?

Last edited by a moderator:

halygon

Grandmaster
@Adam

Yeah, the only reason I spent all of my plat on these suits was because the Devs made them unbreakable. It is insanely hard to actually collect all of the 75,000 plat, aside from the massive cost of doing so.. There was already very little reason to buy the suits with their low AR, this change makes them even less desirable.

Considering the difficulty and cost of obtaining these suits, and their low AR, I believe they should stay unbreakable. Would it be possible to do a platinum coin refund if they are permanently changed to breakable?
How about instead... and to keep in line with all the new changes....

...raise the AR of these suits, so you have blessed, cool looking, and decent AR --- buuuut keep it breakable.

Admittedly even back on OSI, the AR was completely stupid for these items. They were worthless for anything but looks, as these guys are finding out right now -- and yes they were breakable back then too, so you didn't dare PvM or PvP with them.

If you want to spend 75k of Plat on a suit, sure it should be useful, but no it should not be OP. Unbreakable armor on this shard should be a thing of the past. If this armor is unbreakable while all other armor is, people are going to abuse the crap out it... even with the low ar. It means that a PvPer can fight a full on macer for a long time and never worry about AR loss.

Note: Oh yeah, I do not think the AR should be through the roof like "uoforever Armor" -- that's just OP in a different way.

Hephastus

Journeyman
OMG.. the story even gets worse!

I just tried to repair my blessed tunic that lost -2 armor. I cannot repair it - even if Adam made all phoenix and ranger armor repairable. I have recently seen that Belge (the thread opener) repaired his bugged set.

As everybody else but Belge had no problems at all with their blessed sets, it now seems that everybody but Belge has a bugged set!

I strongly think that the programming code for these sets is buggy as hell!

Hephastus

Journeyman
@halogen:

I do not agree. Most players who bought these sets invested in them ONLY because they're unbreakable (as CLEARLY stated in the patch note).

It is like sinking millions of dono coins (or gold coins) into a charcoal castle lottery, and then the developers tell you: "sorry, we forgot to mention that you only rented the castle for 3 months, and after that it "breaks"). NOBODY would ever spent a coin for that. Think about it. I however would agree to a platinum refund.

Lavos

Master
How about instead... and to keep in line with all the new changes....

...raise the AR of these suits, so you have blessed, cool looking, and decent AR --- buuuut keep it breakable.

Admittedly even back on OSI, the AR was completely stupid for these items. They were worthless for anything but looks, as these guys are finding out right now -- and yes they were breakable back then too, so you didn't dare PvM or PvP with them.

If you want to spend 75k of Plat on a suit, sure it should be useful, but no it should not be OP. Unbreakable armor on this shard should be a thing of the past. If this armor is unbreakable while all other armor is, people are going to abuse the crap out it... even with the low ar. It means that a PvPer can fight a full on macer for a long time and never worry about AR loss.

Note: Oh yeah, I do not think the AR should be through the roof like "uoforever Armor" -- that's just OP in a different way.

Yeah I see your point. I would say raise AR or make them unbreakable (or plat refund). I definitely don't want the suits abused, but no one's going to wear or buy these now with the risk of losing hundreds of thousands of gold in a couple of hits, when a normal leather suit has much higher AR and cost only 1.5k per suit.

halygon

Grandmaster
Yeah I see your point. I would say raise AR or make them unbreakable (or plat refund). I definitely don't want the suits abused, but no one's going to wear or buy these now with the risk of losing hundreds of thousands of gold in a couple of hits, when a normal leather suit has much higher AR and cost only 1.5k per suit.
Personnally, higher AR makes more sense. Raise it just a bit above the GM suit, so like 36AR instead of 31AR for leather..etc

This actually brings up a bigger issue (which I am sure will be tackled at a later period) which is the plat store needs a revamp. Not just add or remove items from it, but push it further and make it better. For example, you guy's favorite phoenix armor. IMO you should pay your 5k plat and get a *random* piece of the armor. Which means that not only is it valuable, but a full set is much more rare. Things like that...

Hephastus

Journeyman
Higher armor doesn't make sense at all.

@halygon:
Have you actually checked those players that use these blessed sets? You're primarily talking about mage-bards, tamer-mages, tamer-bards, casual mages, pvm archers, and so forth. These players, alternatively, would not wear ANY armor at all!

The blessed armor just gives you a MINOR bonus, and if it is breakable, you might as well move it from the platinum vendor to the cosmetic item donation vendor because nobody will use it out of town (also given the recent macing bashing bonus). I know that you're hunting for PS to raise your skill cap to 720 points using the trick/bug mentioned in some other posts. Think about that. You're supporting a trick/bug in the grey area that gives you a 17% bonus in skills, but now you want to take away a LIGHT bonus (perhaps just 3 hit points mitigated) through slighly better armor (as opposed to being naked) and that has even be SANCTIFIED by the developers through an official patch in September? Please ....

Last edited by a moderator:

limlight

Grandmaster
I killed a guy the other day with phoenix armor and a glacial staff that was apparently blessed. He was fighting in deceit..felt like i was on osi but didnt even get insurance money. It was tey gayz

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

halygon

Grandmaster
Higher armor doesn't make sense at all.

@haologen:
Have you actually checked those players that use these blessed sets? You're primarily talking about mage-bards, tamer-mages, tamer-bards, casual mages, pvm archers, and so forth. These players, alternatively, would not wear ANY armor at all!

The blessed armor just gives you a MINOR bonus, and if it is breakable, you might as well move it from the platinum vendor to the cosmetic item donation vendor because nobody will use it out of town (also given the recent macing bashing bonus). I know that you're hunting for PS to raise your skill cap to 720 points using the trick/bug mentioned in some other posts. Think about that. You're supporting a trick/bug in the grey area that gives you a 17% bonus in skills, but now you want to take away a bonus has gives you a LIGHT bonus (perhaps just 3-5 hit points mitigated) through slighly better armor (as opposed to being naked) and that has even be SANCTIFIED by the developers through an official patch in September? Please ....

Have you ever asked yourself why these are the players that are using the blessed sets? Its because they are folks that die alot. It is expensive to restock (all of PvPers know that), but unlike PvPers, PvMers do not need to have a full setup to function properly. So what do they do? They go without armor or if they have the cash, with blessed armor. BTW, with the recent AR changes, these are no longer a LIGHT bonus type of armor. Should these guys be restocking and wear armor? Probably yes.

My suggestion is to up the AR for this blessed armor so that it is on par with medium level magic armor of the same type but at the same time keeping it breakable so that it is in alignment with all other armor on the shard. The same break-ability is occurring to all armor, not just this kind. This is fair for everyone.

As a side note, I think it is terrible that you can raise your skill cap to 720 points and use the 20 points for something other than the skill that you raised the cap above GM for. It is an inherent flaw in the whole PS system as a whole -- at one time I was going to try it out to see if it was true or not, but overwhelming evidence shows that it is and I stopped trying to collect the PS to do that -- but I think this is a bit off topic, don't you think?

Hephastus

Journeyman
@holygon:

I like your: "This is fair for everyone."

Aren't you the guy that quoted "Animal Farm" in another thread (http://uoforum.com/threads/poll-would-you-support-a-server-wipe-if.36702/page-2) talking about "Remember, in UO and IRL, some are more equal than others."

Aren't you that guy who is abusing (or trying to abuse) the 720 skill point trick/bug that is clearly NOT fair for everyone and might be even considered as an exploit?

Don't get me wrong, I get your point. However, as you correctly pointed out: people who have the CASH (I'm talking about many gold coins and even real dollars that bought dono coins) buy these sets that give a TINY bonus.

Let me get clear about the damage the recent patches caused. I think you have 1 or 2 houses. Maybe a castle or a nice vendor shop? You probably spent months looking for them, and might have paid a fortune in UO gold or dono coins for them, under the ASSUMMPTION that your homes do not "break" if you use them too often. Right? You wouldn't like, if somebody suggests to make your homes, which you indeed literally earned hard and deserve, are suddently made breakable, just because some other players think it is "fair' that new players should get a house too and that it helps the economy.

Anyhow, I think we're at a point where only the developers (and perhaps the almighty Shane himself) will decide what to do with the blessed armor mess caused by recent patches.

I would prefer something like an unbreakable patch (as of after September), a grandfathering patch that makes all existing blessed armor unbreakable (but no future sets), or a full platinum coin compensation. Anything else is like advertising a Charcoal Castle and forgetting to mention that it 'breaks' after so-and-so many times of use.

halygon

Grandmaster
@holygon:
I'm loving the variations here.

I like your: "This is fair for everyone."

Aren't you the guy that quoted "Animal Farm" in another thread (http://uoforum.com/threads/poll-would-you-support-a-server-wipe-if.36702/page-2) talking about "Remember, in UO and IRL, some are more equal than others."
It is fair for everyone. If your item is buffed in one way and then debuffed in another way, it balances out. When new rules/mechanics are created on a shard, there are some items that need to be balanced.

I am not sure why you are quoting me from another thread that clearly is out of context, but feel free to have everyone read the thread you posted and make their own decision. I have nothing to hide and I still stand by my comments.

Aren't you that guy who is abusing (or trying to abuse) the 720 skill point trick/bug that is clearly NOT fair for everyone and might be even considered as an exploit?
Nope. See below, from my previous comment:
As a side note, I think it is terrible that you can raise your skill cap to 720 points and use the 20 points for something other than the skill that you raised the cap above GM for. It is an inherent flaw in the whole PS system as a whole -- at one time I was going to try it out to see if it was true or not, but overwhelming evidence shows that it is and I stopped trying to collect the PS to do that -- but I think this is a bit off topic, don't you think?
This is a pretty big stretch as raising your 720 skill point cap is not an exploit nor trick nor bug. It is an unintended side effect of allowing Power Scrolls on this shard. I would be happy if this were fixed because it would stop ******** uoforever templates that screw up PvP tournys. Again though, this is just a personal attack and unrelated to this thread.

Don't get me wrong, I get your point. However, as you correctly pointed out: people who have the CASH (I'm talking about many gold coins and even real dollars that bought dono coins) buy these sets that give a TINY bonus.

Let me get clear about the damage the recent patches caused. I think you have 1 or 2 houses. Maybe a castle or a nice vendor shop? You probably spent months looking for them, and might have paid a fortune in UO gold or dono coins for them, under the ASSUMMPTION that your homes do not "break" if you use them too often. Right? You wouldn't like, if somebody suggests to make your homes, which you indeed literally earned hard and deserve, are suddently made breakable, just because some other players think it is "fair' that new players should get a house too and that it helps the economy.

Anyhow, I think we're at a point where only the developers (and perhaps the almighty Shane himself) will decide what to do with the blessed armor mess caused by recent patches.

I would prefer something like an unbreakable patch (as of after September), a grandfathering patch that makes all existing blessed armor unbreakable (but no future sets), or a full platinum coin compensation. Anything else is like advertising a Charcoal Castle and forgetting to mention that it 'breaks' after so-and-so many times of use.
You do realize that I am not making any recommendations that affect me at all. These are completely at a 3rd party perspective. IT IS FAIR, which is why I recommended it. Obviously what I think is fair does not translate to IT WILL HAPPEN.

Because a patch gave a property previously does not mean that a player is ENTITLED to it. The plat store did not advertise this armor as unbreakable and even if it did, that doesn't matter. Anyone that purchased it for that reason made an ASSumption that blessed armor will always be unbreakable. Obviously when the betterment of the shard is being considered, an assumption like that may be wrong.