Please Fix Tinker Trapped Locked Boxes!

Staff

Young Player Help
So... Tinker Trapped Locked boxes...

These things are, for the lack of a better term, "special" here on UOF. They pretty much don't work as they have on every other shard (including OSI) since the history of UO.

..Basically what I am saying is.. they are jacked up.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

So here is how they should work:
  1. A carpenter makes a wooden box and has enough tinkering skill to make it lockable -- whaalaa a lockable crafted box
  2. A Tinker then sets a trap on the box - explosion, spike, or poison - whichever
  3. The key is used on said trapped box and the box becomes "Locked" and the trap is "Armed".
  4. If the key is used again on said trapped box the box becomes "Unlocked" and the trap is "Unarmed" FOR ONLY THE OWNER
So at this point, you can access the box place items in it and then use the key again to "Lock" and "Arm" the box so it is armed against everyone (including the owner). If the key is not used again on it, then the trap is only armed towards another player who is not the owner of the box. Simple enough right?

On UOF, trapped boxes once armed, never become unarmed -- period. This means that if I (the owner) unlock a box, the trap will go off when I (the owner) opens it (and expect the trap to be disarmed) OR when anyone (non-owner) opens it.

A trapped box, once initially armed and then unlocked - SHOULD ONLY HAVE THE TRAP GO OFF WHEN A NON-OWNER ATTEMPTS TO OPEN IT.

Fix this please!

Also on a side note: If a box is trapped and it is chopped up with an axe -- the trap goes off on the person chopping the box. This should not happen either.

Ok, I'll fix this. I do think a chests trap should go off if the container is axed though.

MANKRIK

Grandmaster
RE: the trap going off when axed issue. I too think it should go off, purely from a gameplay perspective. If you could just axe them with no consequence, then what's the point of trapping in the first place?

If you want to think about it in terms of realism, there have been plenty of stories of rigged safes that have tripped when people tried to brute force them. Usually old vets wiring them with grenades and then their family members trying to get them open after they pass away. Just pretend that it's a volatile, shock sensitive chemical that will go up if you swing an axe at it.

Razimus

Adept
you know what I miss, speaking of boxes and explosions in town tricking people, I miss putting 100 greater explosion potions in a box, chopping that box under a certain someone in town and throwing one purple pot at the pile and *kabooooomm* insta death anyone in a 9 tile radius, those were the days.

halygon

Grandmaster
you know what I miss, speaking of boxes and explosions in town tricking people, I miss putting 100 greater explosion potions in a box, chopping that box under a certain someone in town and throwing one purple pot at the pile and *kabooooomm* insta death anyone in a 9 tile radius, those were the days.
....sure

RE: the trap going off when axed issue. I too think it should go off, purely from a gameplay perspective. If you could just axe them with no consequence, then what's the point of trapping in the first place?

If you want to think about it in terms of realism, there have been plenty of stories of rigged safes that have tripped when people tried to brute force them. Usually old vets wiring them with grenades and then their family members trying to get them open after they pass away. Just pretend that it's a volatile, shock sensitive chemical that will go up if you swing an axe at it.
Like I said, if that is the only consolation, I more than welcome it. Thieves beware!

spudd

Grandmaster
But I like trapping boxes and leaving them for unsuspecting players to open and die :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

halygon

Grandmaster
So.... I checked on this today...

Necroing this thread because these were never fixed. Must have fallen off the radar.

Bumping as a reminder.