regs prices for militia capture point

SidX

Grandmaster
I agree with most of the postings about how this can negatively impact crafting for a majority of the UOF population. I support @Swango's initiative. As someone who both crafts and runs a shop that supports many crafters, this has the potential to cause a huge negative swing in the server economy on the crafter side. For anyone who says 1gp isn't "a lot" of a discount, keep in mind that things like kegs and bulk scrolls (Recall, FS, EV, etc.) require hundreds of regs to make. That adds up FAST. Profits on those items is already minimal.. so to even ding the profits by an additional 100-200gp is a significant decrease for the crafter. In addition, there will be a loss of sales to non-militia crafters as more keg/recall vendors open up that undercut the server-wide average pricing for these items to amounts that are unreasonable for non-militia members to compete with.

I'm already losing sales, "militia changes" cited specifically as the reason. For every person who tells me there will be 20 who quietly nope their way out of the vending house.

yeah i already had one not reply when asked how much for 60k ea reg.. at 5/3 = 1.8m my price was 2m = 200k for all the running around... thought was fair, but i guess with the new prices it was too much for him... already starting to see tumbleweeds in the player market.. not good :(

Swango

Apprentice
A few vendors selling less potions isn't the only thing at stake here. Merchanting in general will decline. Asking for something in discord or asking a guild mate is okay, but for many needs vendors is easier. Being able to find what you want makes a server playable.

Cheaper npc prices for militia capture is an attempt to make Brit town look busier.

Lower reg prices from militia capture point? If I understood correctly from a guild chat.

Please eliminate this. It's hard already to make a living as a crafter merchant.
i think the reagent cost are perfect with militias. it is almost free money, you might just be doing it wrong

Dirt McGirt

Journeyman
The main critics of the Reg Cap Point seem to think that this somehow affects their crafting business. I'm pretty damn sure that not a single reg bought at discount has ended up in a keg on anyone's vendor. The only people I've seen taking these cap points are just normal pvpers. You guys are making a huge deal out of something that isen't even a factor. Maybe it has the potential to disrupt your markets. But I seriously doubt any group that crafts heavily is going to go out of their way to create a "zerg" squad to dominate the cap point. Mainly for the reason that you yourselves don't even consider capping the thing to help your own business. Because people who mainly craft don't generally pvp.

Dirt McGirt

Journeyman
I fail to see how making an everyday use resource cheaper for a single guild at any given time helps the server in any way shape or form..
1. It creates action for a starving PvP population. (who make up a large part of veteren uo players).
2. The increased PvP at Brit Bank and extra players active in town, directly stimulates the new and returning player population.
3. It creates an opportunity for crafters and their groups to up their profit margins. They simply need to learn the timing of the cap points. They always take a certain amount of time to become active again. Either make a militia for your guild and fight or place a stealther in militia and take the thing by way of patience and timing.

There are MANY different ways that a group can gain an advantage over other players, by way of skilled pvping, meta grinding, expensive weapons, ect. If everything in the game was fair and everyone got the same result no matter the effort, then what is the point of playing? This is just another variable to deal with, one that has always been in place more or less due to factions, which are as old as UO itself. Previously factioners could place "private" vendors which had double the stock of regs and were only available to members of that faction. The only way to use these if you didnt fight for them was to cheat the game mechanics basically. PvPers have had access to cheap plentiful regs for as long as UO has existed.

the Factions/Militia create action for PvP not discount resources, equal and fair trade stimulate population growth..
giving a discount on a primary resource regardless how big or small to a single guild at any given time is not fair to the overall population, no matter how you try to spin it.

I make my own kegs and reg prices are no issue, I can buy regular reg prices and resell them higher on vendors in bulk amounts without a reg discount

it is solely there for militias to encourage an increase of player vs player gameplay

Firecrest

Grandmaster
That is true but at some point a larger guild is going to control that aspect of the market and one thing that has been true is that people do not like spending additional money on crafted goods. Having a system changed (factions) and including the must join aspect is an issue when there are so many other ways and rewards. That is I have to join a guild that has militia and can hold a spot.

I think the system is good, I think a lot of what shane and the rest do for us is great.
Somethings like alliance and guild disbanding hurt us as a core group.

I know it is what is feasible and in our best interest and this game has always been unbalance and will continue to do so that was the premise and idea of UO. The only open sandbox game where you can literally do and play any class and be any person. WOW lets you play the "bad" guys but UO you can be a bad guy.

Okay no more rambling.

I know we are getting the meta crafter which will include new and exciting features for the crafting class so I will wait for that and hope it uses the soul forge, brewing system, tinker golems, arcane gems, horse mount barding deeds, mega kegs to fill butlers that can fit in our back packs or pack beetles. Just to name a few awesome things.

SidX

Grandmaster
The main critics of the Reg Cap Point seem to think that this somehow affects their crafting business. I'm pretty damn sure that not a single reg bought at discount has ended up in a keg on anyone's vendor. The only people I've seen taking these cap points are just normal pvpers. You guys are making a huge deal out of something that isen't even a factor. Maybe it has the potential to disrupt your markets. But I seriously doubt any group that crafts heavily is going to go out of their way to create a "zerg" squad to dominate the cap point. Mainly for the reason that you yourselves don't even consider capping the thing to help your own business. Because people who mainly craft don't generally pvp.
It's about the trickle effect. Personally, I'm not assuming that most PvPers also craft and have keg vendors.. because they mostly don't. However, having access to lower reg prices allows militia members to very easily stockpile massive amounts of regs, draining the NPC vendors of their stock, essentially swaying the reg market down 1gp per reg globally. It's simple economics at play... as the supply diminishes, demand increases, and only the few militia members who have access to the cheaper regs can control the reg market.

The main issue is that the discounted regs are going to be available at WORLDWIDE reg shops-- i.e. the same ones everyone else shops at. If there were limited vendors where only militia members could shop, and the discounts were only available through those NPCs, this would be a different story. I guess like faction vendors worked (?), though I didn't play factions so I can't really say.

However, this is enabling militia members to drain the global NPC mages/alchs of their reg inventory at a lower price, creating a higher demand to the rest of the market. Then, those who purchased the discounted regs can either sell the regs internally or sell crafted goods using them at prices that the rest of the market can't match and make a profit.

TL;DR -- IMO the problem with this will begin to exist once the global NPC mages are consistently at 0 inventory for regs because militia members buy them out at a <1gp reduction. Non-militia crafters will have a harder time finding regs at NPC prices, but instead of raising keg prices to reflect this difficulty, they will actually have to *lower* them to a point of potentially losing money.

Dirt McGirt

Journeyman
TL;DR -- IMO the problem with this will begin to exist once the global NPC mages are consistently at 0 inventory for regs because militia members buy them out at a <1gp reduction. Non-militia crafters will have a harder time finding regs at NPC prices, but instead of raising keg prices to reflect this difficulty, they will actually have to *lower* them to a point of potentially losing money.

Those are all pretty good points. But like you said, time will have to tell whether or not this will actually cause a noticeable drain on the availability of reagents. My only rebuttal to your post would be this; the majority of keg crafters utilize UOSteam and other client macros to almost completely automate the process of buying regs, crafting kegs, dying kegs, filling kegs and maybe even filling their vendors. They make a consistent profit at little to no effort of their own. The fact that Miltia members have to go out and actually play the game against aggressive competition to obtain said discount, kind of gives them the moral high ground in my eyes.

girana

Grandmaster
The fact that Miltia members have to go out and actually play the game against aggressive competition to obtain said discount, kind of gives them the moral high ground in my eyes.

you dont have to fight vs competition for the bonus.

my main problem with these bonus is they rewarding you for doing nothing

a) just play at low pop times
b) just join a guild who fight for you

Those are all pretty good points. But like you said, time will have to tell whether or not this will actually cause a noticeable drain on the availability of reagents. My only rebuttal to your post would be this; the majority of keg crafters utilize UOSteam and other client macros to almost completely automate the process of buying regs, crafting kegs, dying kegs, filling kegs and maybe even filling their vendors. They make a consistent profit at little to no effort of their own. The fact that Miltia members have to go out and actually play the game against aggressive competition to obtain said discount, kind of gives them the moral high ground in my eyes.
hes right i can make 100 refresh kegs while i sleep

Swango

Apprentice
This is bad for merchants, to what degree is a matter of opinion. There are better ways to make the server look busy just in time for the rush to sell dono.

drasked

Grandmaster
This is bad for merchants, to what degree is a matter of opinion. There are better ways to make the server look busy just in time for the rush to sell dono.

Previous situation:

Join whatever faction was holding 100% of the towns and shop at the clusters of npc vendors placed conveniently by the faction folk. 2g/4g regs and 4g bottles where you could buy 10k empty bottles and 25k each reg per town.

Now:

Sit at stone for 10 min and for 1 hour all npc vendors are cheaper.

So i guess now you have to sit at a stone for 10min before you can run your vendor recall macro, cleaning out all npc with the press of a button, instead of having to do no work at all.

toddyboi

Master
90% of pvpers don't care about these points. Only people I've seen using them are City, they just hide next to the stone but never seen them militia PvP.... even though they have like 10+ on