remove pet perma skill loss

Tard the Paladin

Grandmaster
Since everyone wants to make a comparison to pet stat and red stat loss. Here's an idea.

Stat them the same way and give them two options:

1) Receive a small perma stat loss if you res instantly OR 2) have 40% skill/stat loss that is negated after two days (like red stat loss currently).

Meta pets are too powerful for tamers to be able to use them carelessly. The past has shown how tamers abuse their pets when stat loss is removed. Risk/reward is an important balance in game. Remove pet stat loss and its all reward and no risk.

Meta pets do require more time, effort, and grinding to level up than the other meta templates. They also have a lot more PVM potential which more than justifies the additional effort into training them. The initial investment doesn't justify making it risk free though. An ongoing balanced system of risk/reward should be required for the most powerful PvM asset in the game. There should never be a system set up where if you invest enough time into a template then you suddenly gain the ability to enjoy endless risk free farming with the most powerful pvm tool in existence.

But I must commend you tamers for sticking together to advocate for a system that would allow you to farm with the best asset in game while incurring no risk in doing so. I wish the dexers out there would chime in with their suggestions like you tamers do so frequently.

Cack

Grandmaster
I think everyone is forgetting that stat loss(red) is punishment for being a fucking murderer.
What's the reason for punishing a blue tamer...?
Yea I get it OP pet, end game ...red munching behemoth. W/e catch phrase you want to insert there. Still doesn't make sense to punish blues on the basis that reds have punishment so should blues....

Bobby123

Grandmaster
I think everyone is forgetting that stat loss(red) is punishment for being a fucking murderer.
Yea I get it OP pet, end game ...red munching behemoth. W/e catch phrase you want to insert there. Still doesn't make sense to punish blues on the basis that reds have punishment so should blues....

this guy should be made counselor or something

he knows what hes talking abt

Tard the Paladin

Grandmaster
You did macro up xp and relics, I remember you asking for advice on doing so. No point in denying it, there was no rule against it at the time.

I don't deny macro'ing relics. Hell, I plan on macro'ing them again when I'm not so lazy. But I never used the bug where Quench XP didn't reset after gaining a level. Relics used to give a small amount of XP but that was removed.

You didn't accuse me of macro'ing my talisman therefore I didn't deny it. You accused me of exploiting a significant bug which I didn't do and can easily prove that I didn't. There's a wide gulf of difference between macro'ing and exploiting.

bane

Master
My opinion is that non-meta pets should have no or greatly reduced statloss(.1). But meta pets are such beasts that if there was no downside aside from the onetime grind then they would be even more OP.

I want to give average Joe tamer a break but if you have a top tier meta you are already at the top of the PvM food chain. If you can afford 10mil for quicksilver you can definitely afford 50k or so in skill scrolls when it dies. Hell that is what 30min of farming?

Bobby123

Grandmaster
My opinion is that non-meta pets should have no or greatly reduced statloss(.1). But meta pets are such beasts that if there was no downside aside from the onetime grind then they would be even more OP.

I want to give average Joe tamer a break but if you have a top tier meta you are already at the top of the PvM food chain. If you can afford 10mil for quicksilver you can definitely afford 50k or so in skill scrolls when it dies. Hell that is what 30min of farming?

are you EQMS ?

Cack

Grandmaster

Oh im not against pet skill loss...just everyone keeps comparing red stat loss and pet skill loss when the reasons for both are completely different.
Think it clouds everyhing when you compare the two as if theyre in the same category.

Tard the Paladin

Grandmaster

It's not punishment but rather a system that balances risk/reward. Tamers are the most powerful template and meta pets are the most power tool in the game for farming. That obviously should come at a risk. Calling that 'punishment' and relating it to stat'ing reds is illogical at best. UO is UO because whenever something dies it sucks. Pets, reds, blues, rat men should all be encouraged to stay alive.

Duck Face

Grandmaster
I don't deny macro'ing relics. Hell, I plan on macro'ing them again when I'm not so lazy. But I never used the bug where Quench XP didn't reset after gaining a level. Relics used to give a small amount of XP but that was removed.

You didn't accuse me of macro'ing my talisman therefore I didn't deny it. You accused me of exploiting a significant bug which I didn't do and can easily prove that I didn't. There's a wide gulf of difference between macro'ing and exploiting.
I didn't accuse you of shit. If I were to accuse you, you think I would have worded it as I did? Keep making stuff up, I see the type of person you have turned into while hanging w/ those guys in eqms.

Duck Face

Grandmaster
It's not punishment but rather a system that balances risk/reward. Tamers are the most powerful template and meta pets are the most power tool in the game for farming. That obviously should come at a risk. Calling that 'punishment' and relating it to stat'ing reds is illogical at best. UO is UO because whenever something dies it sucks. Pets, reds, blues, rat men should all be encouraged to stay alive.
And that's complete bs as well. I can make over 200k an hour w/ my meta mage. Let me see you do that on a tamer.

Duck Face

Grandmaster
Oh im not against pet skill loss...just everyone keeps comparing red stat loss and pet skill loss when the reasons for both are completely different.
Think it clouds everyhing when you compare the two as if theyre in the same category.
Well it all is under the same category : Stat Loss
reds cried and it doesn't happen for them, tamers will attempt to do the same now.

Cack

Grandmaster
reds cried and it doesn't happen for them, tamers will attempt to do the same now.
When you're swimming in your money, did you get some stuck in your brain? You know what I meant.
giphy.gif

bane

Master
And that's complete bs as well. I can make over 200k an hour w/ my meta mage. Let me see you do that on a tamer.
I am guessing that you are farming this fast using your slayer spellbooks. Didn't you list those for like 30mil as a set? So if that valuation is correct then your slayer spellbooks are an comparable monetary investment to a Level 7 meta (20-25 mil with all relics fully leveled).

While your mage may farm faster there are plenty of things you wouldn't be able to solo with the mage that your tamer can. Just the tanking power alone gives you additional capabilities with your tamer that your mage doesn't have. So your tamer is much more versatile (a level 7 meta is always useful) while your mage is more of a glass cannon. Sounds fairly balanced to me.

Tard the Paladin

Grandmaster
You are doing something wrong then. And to point out the obvious fact you are ignoring: Tard and several others macroed up the exp on their talisman / relics over night. Not something you can do w/ a pet.

Dude I still consider you a bud but right there you are clearly stating that I exploited a bug. Before that post you mentioned that MAYBE I exploited the bug and I clarified that I didn't and that my talisman levels prove that I didn't. You then posted the quote above and outright said that I used the exploit.

I'm not hating on you man. I get a lot of questions from people over forums, irc, and in game about the defense talisman. I've contributed a lot of information into the community on the matter. That's why I want to be very clear that no I didn't do this overnight with a bug.

Duck Face

Grandmaster
I am guessing that you are farming this fast using your slayer spellbooks. Didn't you list those for like 30mil as a set? So if that valuation is correct then your slayer spellbooks are an comparable monetary investment to a Level 7 meta (20-25 mil with all relics fully leveled).

While your mage may farm faster there are plenty of things you wouldn't be able to solo with the mage that your tamer can. Just the tanking power alone gives you additional capabilities with your tamer that your mage doesn't have. So your tamer is much more versatile (a level 7 meta is always useful) while your mage is more of a glass cannon. Sounds fairly balanced to me.
Ignorance at its finest.
1. You don't have a meta pet
2. You don't have a meta mage

How can you make these claims w/ no experience in either?

Versatile is in the definition of the meta mage, I can kill pretty much any mob w/ that character. I can out score any meta pet with that character in a champ/invasion. I can also pvp a lot easier w/ the meta mage. I would say in a steady farming rhythm I can pull around 100k an hour w/ the meta pets while I can pull more than 2 x that w/ the Meta Mage. I only require one slayer book to do this, of which I invested 12 mil, which is less than the price of the power scrolls required to own a level 7 meta pet.

bane

Master
Well I guess if you want reds and meta pets to share comparable penalties lets have meta pets take half the stat loss that reds take for half the time but have it stack up to 40%. I think that is what 20% for each death (caped at 40%) for one day. So your meta goes back to full skills but it is much less useful for a day. We could also allow an auto buyback for 35k to avoid skill loss(straight goldsink).

I think you will agree that 50k in skill scrolls with the option to forgo this cost if you are close to the 2 mil reset is much better than what reds experience (which is fair).

Duck Face

Grandmaster
Dude I still consider you a bud but right there you are clearly stating that I exploited a bug. Before that post you mentioned that MAYBE I exploited the bug and I clarified that I didn't and that my talisman levels prove that I didn't. You then posted the quote above and outright said that I used the exploit.

I'm not hating on you man. I get a lot of questions from people over forums, irc, and in game about the defense talisman. I've contributed a lot of information into the community on the matter. That's why I want to be very clear that no I didn't do this overnight with a bug.
Show me where in that quote I stated you used a bug? K thanks for playing tard. Come again.

Cack

Grandmaster
Ignorance at its finest.
1. You don't have a meta pet
2. You don't have a meta mage

How can you make these claims w/ no experience in either?

Versatile is in the definition of the meta mage, I can kill pretty much any mob w/ that character. I can out score any meta pet with that character in a champ/invasion. I can also pvp a lot easier w/ the meta mage. I would say in a steady farming rhythm I can pull around 100k an hour w/ the meta pets while I can pull more than 2 x that w/ the Meta Mage. I only require one slayer book to do this, of which I invested 12 mil, which is less than the price of the power scrolls required to own a level 7 meta pet.
Interesting...so why the shard's emphasis on pet skill loss?

Duck Face

Grandmaster
Well I guess if you want reds and meta pets to share comparable penalties lets have meta pets take half the stat loss that reds take for half the time but have it stack up to 40%. I think that is what 20% for each death (caped at 40%) for one day. So your meta goes back to full skills but it is much less useful for a day. We could also allow an auto buyback for 35k to avoid skill loss(straight goldsink).

I think you will agree that 50k in skill scrolls with the option to forgo this cost if you are close to the 2 mil reset is much better than what reds experience (which is fair).
If I thought that, would I have suggested a buy out option for the skill loss?