Stop The Running!

I've talked to a lot of people about this over the last couple of weeks, both in game and in IRC. It seems like a lot of people agree that something must be done, but exactly what changes should be made are still to be determined.

Essentially, most small scale fights on this server end with a mad chase through the woods for long periods of time, rather than bodies on the ground... Let's be real, if you are half decent at this game, you can run forever without ever being caught. Not only is it a problem in that respect, but it has greatly limited the viability of most templates -- everyone feels like they need alchemy on both dexxers and mages in order to catch/kill anyone.

Most people say bolas is the solution, but in truth this would greatly enhance a big groups' ability to destroy a solo player.

Therefore I propose the following:
-Mount Stamina (Yes on Ethies too -- if you run out of stamina you can always hop off and run on foot)
-Magic wands with some sort of recast timer.

What do you guys think about this? Something has to be done soon, or I'm sorry to say that I'll be leaving, and I know a whole lot of other people who plan on doing the same. Yes, I can roll people over on my alchemy mage -- but I don't want to be forced to play an alchemy mage if I want to kill people.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kraden

Grandmaster
Magic wands ;(. Mountstamina is okay. I actually think stamina should drain when running and more so when low because you only need one stamina to run forever. I also think if bolas were implemented right it would enhance pvp and if they were just implemented at normal terms id rather die by a scrub bola tamer than run for hours without a kill. But there is ways to implement bolas and have them not be broke

That's true! There are ways to do bolas properly, but it's much more difficult to balance.

In regards to your stamina comments, I'm not proposing person stamina loss (everyone carries endless stam pots, so that wouldn't solve anything). I'm actually proposing separate mount stamina, that you cannot counteract with any potion or anything of that nature.

Kraden

Grandmaster
That's true! There are ways to do bolas properly, but it's much more difficult to balance.

In regards to your stamina comments, I'm not proposing person stamina loss (everyone carries endless stam pots, so that wouldn't solve anything). I'm actually proposing separate mount stamina, that you cannot counteract with any potion or anything of that nature.
+1

Coorhagen

Grandmaster
I remember a long time ago people did less damage and there were more actual battles rather than tiny groups of players chasing each other around but this was back in the Great/Dread lord days.

Things were added that increased player's damages (greater explosion pots, eval int, anatomy) but the hp remained the same as before and I think this is why people constantly run - it's too easy to die.

K A Z

Grandmaster
I remember a long time ago people did less damage and there were more actual battles rather than tiny groups of players chasing each other around but this was back in the Great/Dread lord days.

Things were added that increased player's damages (greater explosion pots, eval int, anatomy) but the hp remained the same as before and I think this is why people constantly run - it's too easy to die.

please what? From my point of view those items "got added" to let people finally drop dead. It's nearly impossible to kill a mage with half a brain 1v1 in UOR without using explosion potions. Always been like that, though.

halygon

Grandmaster
+1 for nearly any type of stamina loss

+1 for bolas as they certainly help against runners - let's face it, a gank is still gonna be a gank with/without bolas

-1 for wands as they are cheaper than alchy pots

halygon

Grandmaster
+1 for nearly any type of stamina loss

+1 for bolas as they certainly help against runners - let's face it, a gank is still gonna be a gank with/without bolas

-1 for wands as they are cheaper than alchy pots

+1 for a tracking system that shows who runs the most in a fight

Malkraven

Grandmaster
why shouldn't people run lol. should they just stand there and die aint that just ********? i can see th epoint in fair 1v1 and abit bitchy to run forever but what about 3 red chasing some poor guy down in dungeon id run for as long as i can i am not gonna stop and let them kill me

halygon

Grandmaster
why shouldn't people run lol. should they just stand there and die aint that just ********? i can see th epoint in fair 1v1 and abit bitchy to run forever but what about 3 red chasing some poor guy down in dungeon id run for as long as i can i am not gonna stop and let them kill me
I think you fail to see that it will not only keep down the all day running for the runner but ALSO for the chasers. Both sides are going to be losing stamina, so how's that gonna be a disadvantage in the situation you thought up?

halygon

Grandmaster
but doesn't damage drop the stamina faster?
Not mount stamina--only player stamina.

Also, if the pks have been out and about looking for someone like you, they will already have less mount stamina and will start off at a disadvantage.

Malkraven

Grandmaster
Not mount stamina--only player stamina.

Also, if the pks have been out and about looking for someone like you, they will already have less mount stamina and will start off at a disadvantage.

For me ? haha i dont even farm dungeons this wasnt thought up to benefit myself as long as it is how you say it is and damage has no impact on the stamina of the mount im good with it....

halygon

Grandmaster
please what? From my point of view those items "got added" to let people finally drop dead. It's nearly impossible to kill a mage with half a brain 1v1 in UOR without using explosion potions. Always been like that, though.
Are you saying that in UOR days you chased ppl around with a bag full of exp pots that you manually double clicked?

No one is saying people shouldn't run. What I'm saying is that it should definitely take some skill and ingenuity to escape! As it is right now, anyone with half a brain can run away forever. Honestly, my biggest concern is the fact that if your character doesn't have alchemy. You're shit out of luck when it comes to catching a runner. I want to bring back the usefulness of uoforever characters.

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
Nevermind the fact that with infinite stamina there's no strategy in maintaining your resources. A mage has to carry more refreshes because if a dexxer gets the better of them, they will end up chugging 2-3 more refreshes to stay on the move than a dexxer will (higher stam pool to use while running). That strategy can help with those who lack the connection speeds to catch up to or run away from opponents, or even just maintain distance regardless.

Ultimecia

Neophyte
I think they should add stamina loss and on top of that do a slight damage or reuse timer nerf to explo pots.

Running forever is just dumb period.