Who is the guy going around scamming houses?

Dj Double D

Grandmaster
It might be ok by the posted rules, but then theres the unwritten rules and courtesies which, when not adhered to, provoke a community rather than an authority response, aka putting out a bounty on this mofo if we agree he's bad for business... grief the griefer :-D
Player
Driven
Solutions
(@GluttonySDS ;) )

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster
I appreciate you guys offering to help me out, but it is not needed. My intentions with this post were to bring attention to the player involved, if anyone knew him, and to find an answer on if this was legal or not. I have accepted that I lost 200k, but I find it hard to believe that things like that would be allowed. Yes, it was by my own stupidity. That doesn't take away from the fact that someone is still doing this to new players. Regardless if I posted and people offered to help, there are at LEAST 3-4 other players who have not done so, who knows what their fate entails but it would be safe to assume they would be more than discouraged to keep playing.. Where does it stop? Am I allowed to sell ethereal beetles that are actually giant beetles off screen? Not my fault the guy is dumb. This isn't griefing, or being a prick to be a prick. It's stealing from another player. The same argument could be said against me, where would the policing stop? If someone co-owns a friend then Admins will have to give everything back? Things of that nature are different as you co-own someone knowing the risks. I guess you could say the same about housing but that is more inferred rather than explained. As Gypsy said I have been farming the last few days non-stop to buy a house from him and this was a generous portion of what I needed to complete the transaction, and it chaps my ass. I hope someone knows who this person is so at least some people will know scum.

Nah it wasn't stealing it was tricking.

You aren't supposed to scam for dono items or coins, but I think that is null once the item is bought from the dono vendor. Afaik you can try to scam people for ethies, but they are hued and labelled since people used to do it all the time.

I would hate to see any more rules against scamming. UO is a sandbox, let people play it how they want.

I mean dude the house deed was still on your side of the trade window. You just had a moment of stupidity that cost you relatively little, and hopefully it's a lesson you take with you for the rest of your UOF days.

None of this is to say the guy shouldn't be found, shamed, and griefed till the end of his days. Risk and reward.

James Franco

Grandmaster
Nah it wasn't stealing it was tricking.

You aren't supposed to scam for dono items or coins, but I think that is null once the item is bought from the dono vendor. Afaik you can try to scam people for ethies, but they are hued and labelled since people used to do it all the time.

I would hate to see any more rules against scamming. UO is a sandbox, let people play it how they want.

I mean dude the house deed was still on your side of the trade window. You just had a moment of stupidity that cost you relatively little, and hopefully it's a lesson you take with you for the rest of your UOF days.

None of this is to say the guy shouldn't be found, shamed, and griefed till the end of his days. Risk and reward.

I agree with you, and i disagree with you. I think the UOF scamming rules are fair. These rules are made so that players don't quit the game but UOF is still a sandbox as you said. Thats why the rules are no excessive scamming. Without scamming at all, then we'd be set to restrictions on the game not making it fun. I know, you're probably thinking how is this fun? What i mean is, its part of the game and it should always be part of the game. Unless players are quitting and the playerbase is being affected, scamming is allowed. That is why i think there is a rule calling no excessive scamming.

Earendur

Adept
4 People that have said something and who knows how many others seems way more than excessive. I understand the point of it becoming a game that isn't as open with so many rules in place to prevent things like this, and it isn't seeming like a one-off thing. I'm sure it won't happen again for a while seeing as I posted something about it and people might be a little more wary, but still.

We have a serial house thief on our hands.

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster
A fool and his money are soon parted comes to mind.

I'm more amazed that four (so far) have just been like "hmm server glitch? Sounds legit, may as well just click this here trade window with the house deed on my side"

People have been taken for far more than 200k. Ask hero by choice about getting scammed for 20 mil in wearables, or dwade about being scammed for who knows how much when his house was looted. Nobody was banned for those so I doubt anyone would be for this minor heist.

Dj Double D

Grandmaster
Once we out him, we will have a serial taget on our hands.. i wonder if he was intelligent enough to use a thief char and use disguise kit for every scam?

Earendur

Adept
A fool and his money are soon parted comes to mind.

I'm more amazed that four (so far) have just been like "hmm server glitch? Sounds legit, may as well just click this here trade window with the house deed on my side"

People have been taken for far more than 200k. Ask hero by choice about getting scammed for 20 mil in wearables, or dwade about being scammed for who knows how much when his house was looted. Nobody was banned for those so I doubt anyone would be for this minor heist.

I don't think the monetary value matters, but the fact that he is targeting new players from what I can surmise. I am no longer posing a question of whether or not it should be allowed, but should HE be allowed to continue.

Once we out him, we will have a serial taget on our hands.. i wonder if he was intelligent enough to use a thief char and use disguise kit for every scam?

He had the same outfit as the other person described, Red antlers red sandals red kilt red sandals and I believe cultist skin paint. So I don't know how far he was willing to go to hide his identity.

Snickle

Grandmaster
Excellent use of deception, patience and trickery. Sorry for your loss but I'm impressed with the scammer. Like when I first got dropped by 6 stealth archers. I laughed my ass off and started a new guild to mimic it.
That's why I love the game. Thieves spend hours around Brit to maybe get 20k worth of stuff. This guys creativity trumped all that

Cold_Gin

Apprentice
If anyone knows any other names of people that were scammed by this douche tag them in this thread ( use the @ symbol then their name ) so that maybe we can get a name and out this degenerate...
the character who is scamming is named Mr October

Last edited by a moderator:

Earendur

Adept
the character name is Mr October. 10 minutes after the one house was taken, Lady Phia was seen entering it...doesn't take a genius to figure it out :)

Maybe that person who informed Gypsy should post his side and if he indeed saw Lady Phia enter

Blaine the Gypsy

Grandmaster
Do not assume all players are UO vets. I know several who have never played until now, are young in age, and are trying this place out. It's not about pleasing vets and the scammers they've become or come to accept.

Cold_Gin

Apprentice
Maybe that person who informed Gypsy should post his side and if he indeed saw Lady Phia enter
I did INDEED see Lady Phia there...I didn't just pull a name out of my ass. It's all good.....I got the plot back, and placed a bigger plot. I have friends ingame who have lost much more than 294k over brain lapses and trickery. I don't so much give a shit now, honestly. I have taken more gold legitimately on this server than 294k. My story isn't really any different than the others. The dude was complaining about being really laggy, yet he was moving all over the place, said he was buying the house for a "noob" friend. I didn't get a chance to click on trading, because I lagged out really bad as well after targeting him to sell house, I asked him where the check was, I DIDN'T click for him to take the house, yet next thing I know, it isn't my house and he logs. We had a server restart and as I log back on with my stealther, i saw lady Phia of hedge Guild enter thru the teleporter, as I commented that they were the shittiest player ever [they rez killed me in a dungeon while back when I was blue]. I saw who I saw, i don't give a shit who believes me. The toon who scammed is Mr October. Don't know why that post was removed earlier. Fuck that guy. I mean, the server is free for us to play, yet still.....well, I have already made 2 posts more than i care to. Peace.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dj Double D

Grandmaster
Mr. October is not a name generated with a disguise kit. This is probly a scam only toon but still I know Ill be looking out for both of these players. Phia is a coward, pking with pets on him, super low skill player... but could be that the scammer is Phia and it was an alt that he was using. Either way scum like this does not prosper, it will be no different here. 200k scams only get ya so far, and you still have to resell tbe house if you want to profit from it... which, keep an eye on house selling thread, if you see your digs up for sale let ppl in this thread know so we can take appropriate action...

MANKRIK

Grandmaster
It sucks, but at the same time it's stuff like this that you remember for a while. I still remember a few of the scams from when I first played UO (when I was 8). Couldn't tell you how much gold or fancy items I had in UO or any other game since then, but I still remember the big losses. UO stole my innocence.

LSDjay

Grandmaster
I remember when i played uo-osi there was this site uo-auction, pritty much all deals went through that site.
You could register there and start selling or buying, everyone that bought or sold an item there could leave his feedback for the person he did business with.
As a result of this, u could see immediately if the person who bid on your item or was selling an item was a trustworthy person or not.
You could click on his selling past and see all the comments from people who bought an item from him.

If this is possible here, scammers would get a hard time scamming, if the buyers follow the sellers selling history.
and vice-versa

Kael

Master
I remember when i played uo-osi there was this site uo-auction, pritty much all deals went through that site.
You could register there and start selling or buying, everyone that bought or sold an item there could leave his feedback for the person he did business with.
As a result of this, u could see immediately if the person who bid on your item or was selling an item was a trustworthy person or not.
You could click on his selling past and see all the comments from people who bought an item from him.

If this is possible here, scammers would get a hard time scamming, if the buyers follow the sellers selling history.
and vice-versa

Dude I loved UO-Auction ! Got some great deals there.

LSDjay

Grandmaster
Dude I loved UO-Auction ! Got some great deals there.

Yeah i know, i remember leaving comments like " fast and easy deal, no problems what so ever "
Made trading very safe, as u only did business with people who had alot of positive feedback :)