Why would a Trammel shard of UOF kill the server???

Status
Not open for further replies.

drinn

Grandmaster
To answer your question you should go watch the official Ultima Online aka OSI servers for example what happened in OSI Europa. Currently it is pretty much dead only like 10, or less players camping in Luna.

A lot has happened from 1997 to this year. During the gold age UO was mainly Felucca and Trammel based, where in Trammel players were unable to attack each other, so it was mainly PvM based. PvP instead happened in Felucca, which is the current state of UOF although it has been buffed a bit and there is a fear of that thing happening again that everything goes Trammel again. You know some and maybe a big amount of players are afraid of reds aka PKs, but they are the real reason why this game is still alive. Games like WoW doesn't give players the real adrenaline out there as you can not lose anything in-game and there is no fear of actual losing. Skills like stealing are forbidden etc. or not found from those games. Regarding stealing UOF has done a lot of nerfing lately and soon they might set Crafting area as safe zone due to some players griefing (killing crafters and looting) in that area.

If we make this shard pure Trammel a lot of players will quit as PKing has been the most adrenaline thing in this game that has made it to this point in year 2016. Meaning keeping it alive this far yet it is entertaining to most of the player base and making income to some. That latter is in my opinion something they should keep within themselves. It is a great life achievement to be honest. From a 20-year-old game, so why to ruin it?

The fact is that UOF is keeping UO alive at the moment.

Then again, if you wish to make this shard Trammel you should go to see what is happening right now at official shards. You can get free plots from both Trammel and Felucca sides at Brit moongate. You could imagine they cost millions and some thousands in $ dollars in real money. That time it was legal to trade in real money too. Currently at UOF you can see Brit no-cut zone houses going pretty high amount a 7x7 B/O at 1 mil for example. A lot of players at OSI servers managed to make some nice money IRL too for trading in-game items. There is no such thing as IDOCing as you can not see the phases like FW and GW at OSI these days.

Trammel destroyed the passions towards PKing, IDOCing and everything else that were before typical game styles in UO. It is the reason, why UO got dead after all. They tried to make it even to everyone, but it was impossible.

So do not bring Trammel here thx! Dont mention that name anyways.

Long live UO and UOF!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lightfoot

Expert
if pvm without pvp is boring, make the pvm better. personally i like to pvp, but not while playing a bard or tamer. Mostly just blue griefers on this server anyway, 99% of the time its not the reds. If they added trammel would sure be fun. If they added more spawns and stuff to kill in current game would be good too. Just going around to spawns like shame, compared to other servers its empty...hardly any bloods...slow respawn in a lot of areas, just isnt even enough to hunt at. Just having an alternate plane like trammel, or enabling a non separate T2A would make the server better cause you wouldn't spend 20 min recalling around just looking for a spot that isn't covered by meta tamers. How did you people not get bored with the lame uorunforever pvp here? Even in the prime, UO pvp gets old pretty quick. Either fighting giant zergs, or killing noob tamers and bards...not much in between...why i think something like LoL or something with more chance for a balanced game is the way to go for pure pvp. Uo so automated as well, it seems a majority of the people are blues. I bet if they put in an in game poll, once per ISP....would be like 80% trammel at least. Haha but ya, Im sure it would kill the server.

Guttersnipe

Grandmaster
UO peaked a few years after Trammel was introduced so I don't think I'd say it attributed to its death. I'd honestly look at the games that launched during the demise of UO. I believe right around 2004, warcraft launched which changed the mmorpg scene forever.
Paid accounts peaked with the release of AoS. A lot of accounts were made to place and hold houses in Malas. Shit went downhill fast after that.

MANKRIK

Grandmaster
There are half a billion MMO's where you can endlessly farm away to your heart's content and engage in canned PvP with no risk. I don't understand why people come to UO, the last great bastion of unrestricted murder and griefing, then complain that they are getting murdered and griefed all the time. PvM here isn't even interesting or challenging. You recall around to the same spots, provo some mobs onto each other and sic your giant pokemon onto them then stand there and wait for them to die. When you collect enough money from doing this you can buy a pure white sash that no one gives a shit about.

If you want PvM without getting griefed, play another MMO. Pretty much all of them do it better than UO.

Baby Blue

Master
there are many trammel servers out there. go there.
Exactly. There's only a very limited amount of players and adding trammel would split the player base. Basically it's the same as having two different shards. So if you wanna kill the shard, add trammel. It's pretty easy way to destroy everything.

Baby Blue

Master
I think Trammel soured many people's view of the game. However, Trammel brought in Many more players who played uo differently than in 98. So its fair to say trammel killed it for the Vets, but Trammel did not kill UO. I don't pvp much, but PKS don't bother me either. Risk is the main reason we play UO 17 years later. This game can't support a Trammel anymore.
Let's be honest, UO PvM game sucks. It's outdated and gets boring so fast. Level your meta dragon, get the relic and kill every possible mob in less than 5 seconds. it's so fun, isn't it? Remove the only risk (of getting pked) and see what happens. RDAs and champion spawns might be funnier for a while if you're a new player (or perma newbie).

Not so much item based PvP is pretty much the only reason this game is still alive. Those trammel-era PvMers are mostly gone or have their own shards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darkarna

Grandmaster
Why would UOF Trammel murder UOF Fellucia?

Take a walk down the path of safety, grab yourself a single player game with multi-player capabilities and remove threat, destruction, murder and sleight of hand skills towards other players and you are left with imagining what it would be like to perform negative acts upon a real *Virtual* human being. Take Diablo III or Path of exile for example; after killing 50 billion monsters on Diablo III and reading the same text regarding the eternal war between Angels, demons and man/woman, eventually you will be left with nothing more than progressive schizophrenia, perhaps even the internal voices will explain that you need some random text from a random player popping up from time to time, to remind you that you are not a lone. The other issue is that role-playing becomes kind of pointless when all you are doing is fighting the same monster while trying to add a separate personality to that monster and changing its pretend text into something which relates to your style of role-play.

I mean, imagine running to an end boss with a group of fluffies, each player can not enjoy the benefits of becoming a turn-coat, all they do is synch their virtual firework shows towards the boss, hold a few keys down and type "We have bested the Lord Of Terror! Deckard Cain and his memory shall rest in eternal peace knowing that we have cleansed this era from diabolical interference! Rejoice!" Now, bounce back a few years to Diablo II where open world PVP was allowed and the above speech becomes "We have bested the Lord Of Terror! Deckard Cain and his memory shall rest in eternal peace knowning that we have cleanse- (Someone decided to go hostile and speed run all the way to the boss and murder the Heros who were proudly enjoying a good fap, over a virtual corpse because a few legendary items drop) "WTF MAN, WHY DID YOU KILL US ALL????? DO YOU NOT HAVE A HEART?? YOU HAVE RUINED MY HARDON!!" <--- This is why Diablo II lasted so long and this is why UO has lasted so long.

Long story short, take away human interaction on levels which remove conflict and you are left with a shell of a game which is destined to get decapitated. Trammel pretty much forcibly inserted, multi-coloured, candy coated vibrators into players arses, controlling/removing the need of negative interaction, turning them into a bunch of diaper fondling, thumb sucking babies who would report you for saying the word 'Damn' without missing a heart-beat.

Wall of text over,
Polls required...

Shane

Administrator
Staff member
I think they introduced trammel because people were quitting left and right because of pking, getting scammed etc. If you guys seen some of the complaints we get about getting pk'd etc and people quitting since we launched over it i could not even imagine the amount of complaints OSI got back in the day, and those are from people that PAID to play there.

Basically trammel was put in, in my opinion so they could keep both the hardcore people happy and the what are now known as "trammies" happy.
They were losing subscriptions and they, like ALL online games were a business-

Trammel definitely was NOT the right answer though, but they didn't know that.
We would never introduce Trammel here.

Trammel also didn't ruin Ultima Online if you guys remember. It was all the shit afterwards. There was plenty enough people to use both felucca and trammel.

Slate

Journeyman
I think they introduced trammel because people were quitting left and right because of pking, getting scammed etc. If you guys seen some of the complaints we get about getting pk'd etc and people quitting since we launched over it i could not even imagine the amount of complaints OSI got back in the day, and those are from people that PAID to play there.

Basically trammel was put in, in my opinion so they could keep both the hardcore people happy and the what are now known as "trammies" happy.

Trammel also didn't ruin Ultima Online if you guys remember. It was all the shit afterwards. There was plenty enough people to use both felucca and trammel.

Side note.

Get rid of faction and don't bring in the militia.

Just have Chaos and Order with the old school ability to cast with the shield on :)

Dellan

Grandmaster
I remember playing trying both Trammel and Fel when starting UO.. After getting murdered million times, I ended up in Tram, only to come back to Fel because "something was missing" in Trammel..

Darkarna

Grandmaster

I dunno man, I believe if you take away freedom from people all you have left is repression. To change my post a little without editing it, I actually enjoyed Trammel when it first came out, maybe because there were parts of the new release that had been missed IE looting bones, preventing people from looting corpses, relevant death gates, when those areas got fixed Trammel was pretty much a safe zone which people preferred, for a time anyway. The PK problems on UOF is well documented and to be honest, with a little change on how people perceive their murdering class *limit the amount of time in farming spots, rezzing, non looting, advice to victims without trash talk* then complaints would still flow but with a reduction on intensity of said complaints.

Take away the freedom of PKing, stealing, griefing etc and you are left with a very empty server.

Shane

Administrator
Staff member
Side note.

Get rid of faction and don't bring in the militia.

Just have Chaos and Order with the old school ability to cast with the shield on :)
We tried chaos/order, we tried hero/evil
Theres like 5 people that want it then when we put it in even those 5 people don't play them haha

girana

Grandmaster
We tried chaos/order, we tried hero/evil
Theres like 5 people that want it then when we put it in even those 5 people don't play them haha

shane you doing this shit long enough

you know you cant make pvper happy

everytime 2 pvper/groups are meeting one pvper die and start crying about numbers, tamers, alchipots, clients, hacking, exploiting, LAG

Ludwig

Grandmaster
Trammel kills a lot of player interaction and activity. It would also cut the server population in half between the worlds and low population always ends up being the death of a shard.

TheFallen

Grandmaster
Just give them trammel already. Kind of.

Turn despise into tram rule set but lower the rewards dramatically.
Champ only drops 1 PS. 25% of normal chance at relic. 25% of all loot on mobs: gold, ss, etc.

For those wanting relaxed game play it exists but do not expect to be rewarded for it.

Also skill gain would have to be the same as in a house. No gains for meta pets or talismans.

drinn

Grandmaster
Just give them trammel already. Kind of.

Turn despise into tram rule set but lower the rewards dramatically.
Champ only drops 1 PS. 25% of normal chance at relic. 25% of all loot on mobs: gold, ss, etc.

For those wanting relaxed game play it exists but do not expect to be rewarded for it.

Also skill gain would have to be the same as in a house. No gains for meta pets or talismans.

I would just make RDAs and champs Trammel only. Players there rarely want to PvP (just to kill the bosses like raids @ WoW), so PvP in there is not really that important piece of game style. Would only accept thieves. PvP dudes would be allowed to camp near the gates though.

TheFallen

Grandmaster
You can't have the good rewards for anything with a trammel rule set. If you gave tram you need to take away rewards or at least make them require more time to get. That's why I say just give a small area trammel rule and that way if people complain you can just say go there. If they complain rewards suck then you can say go to other champs dungeons and be rewarded for the risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.