Champ Participation Reward and AR patch for masks

Cephalic

Novice
Champion Token Vendor. Each champ slain during you participation rewards [#(rng 1-10)]*[rgn(10-50) lowest dmg - highest dmg] deposited into players backpack. With champ spawn specific items with charges or durability that might require champion tokens to recharge/repair thus having a sink while still pushing more demand on champion participation.

These items would only be viable in pvm, champs, or both. These items will also be soul bound/non trsnsferable. Tokens are blessed and tradeable/transferable. I think items that would benefit champion damage and resistance alone would be ideal. But, possibly like slayer related items that would be viable to specific mob types would be fine too. Again I state, I prefer champ only. Maybe these items could fit the unused item slots and have a damage cap so the guys who are already insanely beastly on champs dont get OP. Maybe this could be worked around with a top ten modifier. Receiving a (champ vendor) item benefits cap or reduced champion item stats/benefits while they are in the lead. #1-3 -30% reduction. 4-7 18% 8-10 6%. This will keep things iinteresting.

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Cephalic

Novice
if this happens it should go off time spent aggroed with champ mobs or something. if you go by score then most rewards are going to goto established players with meta pets that should be able to defend themselves. Newer players should benefit as much (if not more) from such a system
New players need to work up to end tier items. IMO they should have to work hard to get the higher rewards. Making games easy mode kills them indefinately.
participation trophies are great everyone should win all the time that way nobody has to feel those nasty sad feelings when they don't win

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk

Cephalic

Novice
I have understood your point, you want to do champ clicking on mob or yelling ALL KILL and drop 100% a safe ps/relic or another item in your bank.

This is the opposite of Ultima Online

They dont want 100% chance. I really dont think that this is the case. They just want a more balanced system in place or a system implemented that will create an alternate way to satisfy reward. Even if its an insane grind to achieve anything through this out put. I can see why someone who works 7 12's two kids and a wife would be highly discouraged when they never get drop because meta tamers are insta win or zerging rez killers are coming in during their little time to spend playing a game we all love. If something is simply changed to become more gratifying to a larger player base. Then, that in turn keeps the current player polulation active while also acts as glimmering shiny things to attract possible new players. This in turn keeps the server paid and economy circulating while providing more players for you to troll and recieve gratification because, you have your own methods of releasing dopamine via grieving and pking. Sounds like a win for casual, hardcore, trolls and staff if done properly. Even if this means modifying relic/ps chances to ##% chance to be rewarded to any player participating. It could be a 3-8% chance for them while still remaining higher for the core players. Everyone wins regardless with a little balance of the system. Broken shit gets left behind and ends up dead like many many other shards have been fated.

halv

Grandmaster
the solution is fight back

I got killed many times too, sometimes being first place without getting anything. But I've to agree, we need to fight back. There was a time we stood together, got our "attack closest murderer" hotkeys ready and start hitting the button the moment a red name showed up.
There is no need to chase the red, only to stay together and hit the right button until the alliance PvPler arrive.

But every champ is different. Like yesterday. It was obvious after seeing Imar luring mobs to the ankh there will be a raid shortly after. At the time the group was splitted by three paragons (2x Succubus and 1x Demon) the raid started. I've to say it was pretty clever. Lure the Succubi Paragons to the Ankh, split the goup and take out one after the other. I was so focused on this paragons I not even notice the PKs coming in until i got killed (this time I was redlined from the Succubi already).
If the Trinsic guard arrive, they normally recall in at the Ankh. Jonny got FS from Succubi Paragon at the moment he recalled in. But he still redlined two PKs. Bad luck, normally there is always the possibility to stay the ground and fight back successfully. This learning curve is part of the game.

Sorry for bad English.

StegcO

Grandmaster
I got killed many times too, sometimes being first place without getting anything. But I've to agree, we need to fight back. There was a time we stood together, got our "attack closest murderer" hotkeys ready and start hitting the button the moment a red name showed up.
There is no need to chase the red, only to stay together and hit the right button until the alliance PvPler arrive.

But every champ is different. Like yesterday. It was obvious after seeing Imar luring mobs to the ankh there will be a raid shortly after. At the time the group was splitted by three paragons (2x Succubus and 1x Demon) the raid started. I've to say it was pretty clever. Lure the Succubi Paragons to the Ankh, split the goup and take out one after the other. I was so focused on this paragons I not even notice the PKs coming in until i got killed (this time I was redlined from the Succubi already).
If the Trinsic guard arrive, they normally recall in at the Ankh. Jonny got FS from Succubi Paragon at the moment he recalled in. But he still redlined two PKs. Bad luck, normally there is always the possibility to stay the ground and fight back successfully. This learning curve is part of the game.

Sorry for bad English.

You have perfectly described Ultima Online

if this happens it should go off time spent aggroed with champ mobs or something. if you go by score then most rewards are going to goto established players with meta pets that should be able to defend themselves. Newer players should benefit as much (if not more) from such a system

That is a brilliant idea.

Sorry for bad English.

I agree we could definitely do a better job and this is the argument im having with steg...but the days of having 20 people doing a champ are over. the people all got sick of getting ganked and joined the trolls. we need something aside from telling the 6 people doing the champ to fight back against 6 reds while taking the mobs to keep people motivated and bring back the interest.

ton loc

Master
I agree we could definitely do a better job and this is the argument im having with steg...but the days of having 20 people doing a champ are over. the people all got sick of getting ganked and joined the trolls. we need something aside from telling the 6 people doing the champ to fight back against 6 reds while taking the mobs to keep people motivated and bring back the interest.
Idea: forget about the mobs/champ til the reds are statted? Have someone heal the champ if it is close to dying? Invis pets when reds run by so they catch aggro? Have a rune marked to each ankh and gate in hidden? Countless other options?

The fact that there is ATLEAST one ankh in each champ area within scroll distance is trammy af as it is.
..and this also hinges on the hopes that you're getting raided by a small-mid size group and not some 20 man noob Zerg.

StegcO

Grandmaster
Idea: forget about the mobs/champ til the reds are statted? Have someone heal the champ if it is close to dying? Invis pets when reds run by so they catch aggro? Have a rune marked to each ankh and gate in hidden? Countless other options?

If people start to do this we will have a lot of fun instead a lot of cry

The fact that there is ATLEAST one ankh in each champ area within scroll distance is trammy af as it is.
..and this also hinges on the hopes that you're getting raided by a small-mid size group and not some 20 man noob Zerg.

This would probably work, it would however hinge on the fact that we are organized and decent at pvp. Most people doing champs are on that side of things because that's not what they are. Why not do both? I am always willing to die trying to pvp, its the wasted time at the champs that pisses me off.

I mean there used to be alliances between the some of the bigger pvm and pvp guilds...they all fell apart but that kind of helped. now trin guard helps, but when you're running against one of the big guilds they don't have enough folks.

StegcO

Grandmaster
I mean there used to be alliances between the some of the bigger pvm and pvp guilds...they all fell apart but that kind of helped. now trin guard helps, but when you're running against one of the big guilds they don't have enough folks.

shenron

Journeyman
This is just me, but part of the fun for me in this game is the Risk vs Reward. No other game gets my heart pumping when i got a really rare item, and wanting to get out as soon as possible. Even if i don't get anything, i wouldn't want it to be like World of Warcraft. That's my personal opinion though.

But it's a interesting idea to have tokens for maybe some cosmetic items or whatnot. To give the top 5 people some reward for being at the top of the list.

Or a good reward would be to give a boost of experience to a meta pet / relic / talisman , as nobody likes farming exp

Last edited by a moderator:

Alucard

Grandmaster
Second suggestion is for the bone masks and dragon helms that are aesthetic only. These dono items give no AR yet we cannot apply the +2 head armor patch on them. Is there a way to make it so they can be applied?
hate this discrimination =(
also want +2 for bone ... masks

I can see both side sides of this argument.

I think we have a consensus built here that no one is asking for a nerf on the ability for a group to execute a raid on the champs. I think there is also consensus that no one wants the PS or relic economy disrupted.

But I have to sympathize with the OP that for many of us the Champ spawns are something we would like to participate in, but they aren't exactly an accessible or attractive way to spend your time in game as it currently plays out.

I've seen it mentioned plenty of times on the forums - this is a 20 year old game. I have to imagine the majority of player base is a bit older than we were when we first fell in love with UO. I have a full time job, wife, kids, social contract responsibilities not to be a degenerate. Not to mention I'm getting older and waking up in good condition is getting harder after an up till 2am UO session. Simply put everyone has to allocate what they can do with their time online. I would love to check out a champ spawn, but I have zero interest in playing for two hours and walking away with a nothing burger. I want PK groups to have their fun, I just don't want to participate in an all or nothing hour plus long bet.

Part of what I really like about UO is that I can log in for even 15 minutes and feel like I accomplished something of permanence, got a little closer to my goals. Seems like that's the missing piece that the OP is offering an idea to address.

To offer a counter point to my own, maybe a champ spawn is intended to exclude more casual players. If that's the case then fine by me, it's a secret society thing.

But if you think it would be a good thing to get more players involved (more casual lower skill players to raid btw) then I think this idea should be given some consideration.

I'm feeling like it would result in more fun for both raiders and farmers. Also might just be nice to see more people fighting together. Bring in the casual or more PvM community in greater numbers to start the ball rolling on feeling empowered to fight back when an attack drops in.

Bromista

Grandmaster
Very well said.

There doesn't have to be such a fine line between winning big time rewards or losing and ending up with diddly squat. That big reward thrill can be left intact but a progress towards XX reward type system can also have its place and doesn't even have to apply across the board.

Dungeon bosses with the crystal turn-ins and potential bank relic are an example of something outside the norms of the UO drop/pack system.

Perhaps a new progress system could be tried on new content...maybe applied Medusa or other future bosses? Something relatively accessible to both new players and vets... but leave it there and don't make changes to the entire game.