How to curb inflation? Is any tax to much tax?

Struan

Expert
Just a question on the comment about houses with no roofs.

Do you think that is because they don't have the money or are they 2/3/4th houses or people who are trading/selling houses as a trade?

I did "assume" that there was a surplus of cash in UOF:

1) the staff choose to implement the current gold sinks (assumed they did it for a reason)
2) the sheer number of people talking about making 100k an hour
3) anyone I meet in game that has been here more than 3-4 months has big house/tower/castle and it is packed with all kinds of expensive shit
4) every time I hang around a bank for more than 5 minutes there are several people loudly checking their balances of 1 or 2 or 3 million

Halygon. You're right these all could be fluke or cosmetic and maybe everyone is just house poor but it sure doesn't appear that way. I certainly haven't tried in any intelligent fashion to actually estimate wealth, from appearances I just assume all you vets are rich.

Is there anyway to find out how much gold is in circulation in the shard?

TheFallen

Grandmaster
Is there anyway to find out how much gold is in circulation in the shard?
I would love a chart showing this, as it would give a better idea as to whether im chicken little screaming the sky is falling or if inflation is potentially as big a problem as I predict.

Kiki

Grandmaster
who cares how much gold is on the server? Honestly I'm trying to figure out what point it serves.

limlight

Grandmaster
I love how he keeps saying nothing removes gold.

Tell that to my 4 char slot...tell that to my treasure chest wand. Tell that to my hedges..
Tell that to my several tmap books.
Tell that to all the people buying white cloth at 500k per.
Tell that to cellar owners..
Seriously dude. Wtf are u talking about?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Bromista

Grandmaster
Maybe its your occupation? cos i've noticed that most politicians are like that. They don't give a fuck about shit except their own "stuff"
ROFLLLLL. I didn't catch that, a politician that doean't want to pay tax - UNHEARD OF!

But really...bonus points for creativity but overall not a good idea.

TheFallen

Grandmaster

Tell that to my 4 char slot...tell that to my treasure chest wand. Tell that to my hedges..

Ok so other then 4th char slot, everything else is still in game can still be transferred and still carries a value relatively similar to that of the gold spent. Hence no gold removed its just transferred into items and then those items are now a part of the currency.

limlight

Grandmaster
Ok so other then 4th char slot, everything else is still in game can still be transferred and still carries a value relatively similar to that of the gold spent. Hence no gold removed its just transferred into items and then those items are now a part of the currency.

Your an idiot...those things make the gold dissapear forever.

TheFallen

Grandmaster
The last 120 taming scroll sold for ~5.3m which is then ~53hrs or farming for one item. I have heard many say they have more gold then they know what to do with and that is driving prices way up. So two questions: is inflation a problem? What makes a good gold sink?
My thoughts, yes inflation can be a problem and a good gold sink actually removes gold without simply changing it into tradable items. It needs to be something ppl want to spend there money on and feel has value. It needs to be something ppl dont NEED to have but really WANT to have. Most of all it needs to be continues a one time purchase delays the inflation. These are the reasons behind my idea and I unfortunately cannot think of anything else that would remotely work as well to remove gold proportional to what you have and leave ppl feeling that they have something in return. I understand the push back to taking anyones gold as a tax but stopping inflation would basically make it a wash and if we opened up the house limit I know personally I would want multiple castles but would have to quit my job to play enough to affoard them so...

limlight

Grandmaster
They will likely add stuff like name change for 500k or so. It still doesnt change

TheFallen

Grandmaster
Your an idiot...those things make the gold dissapear forever.

Just because the gold is gone doesnt mean the value has been removed you could easily sell those items
and therefor be right back where you started. The point of a gold sink is that no one gets anything extra of the same value the gold is just gone. ie. reagents = gold sink (unfortunately easy to get), OSI insurance a great gold sink to bad it was insurance... a gold sink is gold gone nothing back. This system gives the most active players at the time the best items as they are currently bringing in the most gold and can spend it as they see fit. If you are less active your gold slowly goes down and this creates balance. You can completely keep idocs with this system you could even leave a tac system as an option for additional houses only but really some sort of real sink is needed and right now I dont hear any other real ideas.

Harken110

Expert

These are all vanity items. Players can and some do (like me) avoid these purchases and when someone does purchase them it's probably one time only meaning they're not always removing gold from the game.

Metalhead-

Master
who cares how much gold is on the server? Honestly I'm trying to figure out what point it serves.

As prices increase due to monetary inflation basic items will become more expensive. Look at the price for GM studded leather armor. Months ago it was in the 600-700 range. Now it's peaking at 2000. As new players join they are forced to fight small end creatures. To afford basic items they must now perform more than twice as much action just to buy the items I listed above. Making their entry into the UOF world even more difficult. That's why inflation must be checked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheFallen

Grandmaster
Yeah... pls no housing taxes. I'd cut myself having to pay taxes on my 2 castles.
I think that would really depend on how much you had to pay and thats the thing since this would be accross the board it wouldnt have to be huge on any individual to have a huge impact. 2 castles 2m value 5% s month 100,000 a month I gonna guess you could affoard that i would alsi bet if housing limits were opened up you might find yourself another castle or two. (with empty ploits being sold off since they are just expenses now I bet you could find a cpl of castles rather cheap compared to todays prices might even make money paying tax)

InsanePete

Neophyte
New
while I agree this would be an affective gold sink I have decided I'm against it.

IDOCs are one of the few ways to make money that is not generating New gold, or items, in the economy, and I just cant justify destroying an entire play style, to fix an issues, that is not caused by that play style.

Just my 2 cents.

Could not say it better myself.

Totally just had a thought what about insurance.... [insert dramatic pause] :D

OMG did he say insurance! :mad:What a trammy, noob get off of here you *****. I am sure everyone is thinking this or worse. Well don't flame me yet. I agree and left Pacific for Siege years ago when those EA bastards introduced insurance .

But hear me out, what if there was an optional insurance fee on death like OSI but instead of getting your stuff back you get insta rezzed with vendor quality shit gear and a dozen of each pot and reg, bandaids and a weapon matching your skill at dungeon entrance or other non-exploitable spot or even closest wandering healer. Perhaps like in Halo or CoD you would select a loadout and then respawn, you get a choice of gear and consumables (shit gear) and pay 2-3X what it would cost off vendor or you could just be a ghost and walk back to healer.

At first I was writing a little sarcastically about Halo/CoD loadouts and insurance but I think an insta respawn (with crap gear equipped) at some inflated cost in gold from your bank would appeal to many new and even some vet players. Also many people may opt out of of picking up 40 potions off their corpse in lieu of this.

Probably a dumb idea, I am certain someone would figure out how to exploit vendor quality potions, armor and weapons but there has to be a way to make gold leave the server. I have been here since June and many of the donation items like ethys, have almost doubled in gold since then.

Harken110

Expert
Could not say it better myself.

Totally just had a thought what about insurance.... [insert dramatic pause] :D

OMG did he say insurance! :mad:What a trammy, noob get off of here you *****. I am sure everyone is thinking this or worse. Well don't flame me yet. I agree and left Pacific for Siege years ago when those EA bastards introduced insurance .

But hear me out, what if there was an optional insurance fee on death like OSI but instead of getting your stuff back you get insta rezzed with vendor quality shit gear and a dozen of each pot and reg, bandaids and a weapon matching your skill at dungeon entrance or other non-exploitable spot or even closest wandering healer. Perhaps like in Halo or CoD you would select a loadout and then respawn, you get a choice of gear and consumables (shit gear) and pay 2-3X what it would cost off vendor or you could just be a ghost and walk back to healer.

At first I was writing a little sarcastically about Halo/CoD loadouts and insurance but I think an insta respawn (with crap gear equipped) at some inflated cost in gold from your bank would appeal to many new and even some vet players. Also many people may opt out of of picking up 40 potions off their corpse in lieu of this.

Probably a dumb idea, I am certain someone would figure out how to exploit vendor quality potions, armor and weapons but there has to be a way to make gold leave the server. I have been here since June and many of the donation items like ethys, have almost doubled in gold since then.

I think the biggest thing about death for a new player is getting out of it. When I first started playing again I had to use my 2nd to monitor to guide my way out of dungeons if I died and the thing is I am experienced in UO I just simply forgot the way, where as a new player wow... just imagine the confusion. However, this is a new topic in itself :).

ROFLLLLL. I didn't catch that, a politician that doean't want to pay tax - UNHEARD OF!
Game.

And let's face it, this wouldn't actually be tax. It's hard for some people to understand, but government isn't a sink.

I think what people really do need to understand is that people accumulate wealth in this game through persistence. We all began as new players, we didn't inherit our accounts. To start frothing at the mouth under your beret because you see people with millions of gold in the bank is unreasonable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bromista

Grandmaster
As prices increase due to monetary inflation basic items will become more expensive. Look at the price for GM studded leather armor. Months ago it was in the 600-700 range. Now it's peaking at 2000. As new players join they are forced to fight small end creatures. To afford basic items they must now perform more than twice as much action just to buy the items I listed above. Making their entry into the UOF world even more difficult. That's why inflation must be checked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk