Fix Spell Reflect and Going grey/criminal

berticus

Grandmaster
An impressively massive thread..

I wanted to add, if not already previously stated multiple times, that even casting mana drain on someone should flag them to that target. Any aggressive act on someone should give the other player the opportunity to counter engage.

Perhaps it's too complicated to ammend.

On a side note, are large colored weapon bods still a thing? xD back to huntin a decent mare!

Y'all have a good one.

Yohee

Expert
My point exactly with this thread :)

There is no way that this nerfs scribe or has ANYTHING AT ALL to do with scribe. I am like the king of scribes here (look at my thread history) and I do not feel even the least bit nerfed by the current mechanics. I don't see how it nerfs "noto fighting" (LOL?) except that it does not give YOU an advantage... really? You want to be protected from damage AND be able to deal it back... not very balanced if you ask me.

OK I've tried seriously hard to take on board both sides of this argument. I do think some good points have been raised about why the system is as it is. I also think the Devs have a strong view on this and haven't waded into the argument yet (I'm on page 8, so they may have later!).

Firstly - I think it is out right bloody daft that someone can attack my mage who is pushing for max karma and I can't attack back without risking that. If I'm being attacked, I should be able defend myself - full stop. It's been said over and over again so I won't use it as a further argument, but it seems most people don't get how they cannot attack their attacker without consequence when they are a scribe (using reflect to avoid argument) when you can with any other skill.

Secondly - Sorry Haygon - but that comment seems weird. Yes, I want my scribe to use the intended effect of my skill for it's intended effect. If that isn't balanced, (and when did this server become balanced?!) , then we should be discussing the skill - not some daft ass work around which makes someone setting you on fire a nice blue matey until it starts to hurt. Attacking someone should ALWAYS have consequence. If a particularly skill doesn't fit with that - the skill should change, not that fundamental (which isn't to say that I agree that it should).

I think all anyone is doing here is pointing out the rather dramatic inconsistency that someone can attack you with (presumably) the intention of killing you and taking your shinies - but you can't do so without risking Karma/being attacked by others without running away.

Late here so I apologise if any of this was covered in the next few pages!

Yohee

Expert
Speak for yourself! I am a big defender of anything old school UO. I think we should all go back to dial up connections with NO 3rd party apps. We should use only the in-game macros (the new devices such as more than two buttons on a mouse that aren't supported are just tough luck) for everything. Double clicking all potions would be great and bring back lots of memories that new players can "enjoy" also. Anything that you think is broke, but "was that way back in the day" should never be fixed as it would ruin the "old school feel" that us long term players know!

Now that I am done with that bunch of crap...

There are a ton of mechanics that vary from one topic to another. When balancing the game, you have to draw the lines somewhere and since the amount of actual actions available in UO is tremendous, they are not all going to be the same from one ruleset to another. Thief rulesets do not follow the same logic as Mage, melee, or bard rulesets. Melee rulesets do not follow the same logic as Mage, bard, or thief rulesets.

I can snoop on a thief (popping pouches can cause a person to die later on -- equivalent to MR -- probably) but it is not a flagging action nor is it aggressive. I can cast a spell with a mage, but no flagging is done until the spell hits. I CAN CAST WEAKEN (AND IT INTERRUPTS? WTF GUYS) but it did no damage except reduce STR (and therefore HP). Discord does the same thing to pets but it does not flag or count as an aggressive act.

My point is, none of these logically flow together -- they are tweaked and changed to make a balance, which UOF has done a great job of keeping, even with bad suggestions such as this one. It doesn't make "sense" -- who cares? its a game and the diversity of rulesets make it fun as a novice and gives plenty to learn as we become more experienced. Hell, because of the diversity of this game, I am STILL learning things and I know quite a bit (some random).

Despite my previous statement - this was well said. Perhaps we are now discussing something that feels wrong as opposed to is wrong. I'd still prefer it was changed, and I wonder where the line of "balance" vs "enough people getting pissed off at what feels stupid" lies - but I agree what you've raised is a good argument.

Staff

Young Player Help
I'll discuss this with Shane. I honestly don't know if it is intended or just something that was overlooked. It is a one line fix, not sure why it wasn't addressed in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:

wreckognize

Grandmaster
Since the change, I'll comment that clearly the biggest benefactor of the change is myself, and fellow SS affiliates, since we are the most common noto murderers in brit. Let alone the fact that I may be the only scribe murderer noto in brit.

That said, I am now able to get greys that i can chase into town MUCH more easily. Also, no longer am I suffering from people using alts to break my reflect to save their mana, which was a pretty girl tactic (you know who you are) ^^

berticus

Grandmaster
So casting against a reflect now flags you to them as I feel it should? Yay

Sent from my HTC One VX using Tapatalk

wreckognize

Grandmaster
So casting against a reflect now flags you to them as I feel it should? Yay

Sent from my HTC One VX using Tapatalk

indeed
now, not only will they lose their mana, health and stamina just for attacking, or at least one of those, they will also be able to be beaten on while possibly still needing to break further circles of your reflect.

good luck out there pimp!

wreckognize

Grandmaster
You are sooo baked right now. Can imagine you slumped over, high as hell with a hot pocket trolling the suggestion threads. Get your life together.

Xerxes.jpg

ouchhhh lol